• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] IQ? ASVAB?

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My parents wouldn't let us see our IQ's on the tests we took in school. 'Cause, you know, the dumb ones might feel bad. Or the smart ones might get a big head? Someone shoot me.

I don't get why the numbers are such a big deal that they are kept secret sometimes.... they are a very fascinating measurement of extremely specific problem solving abilities, but I cannot see any other importance whatsoever beyond that. The tests do not separate dumb from smart, so that reasoning is just silly.

And since you asked...

:spam_laser:

(don't worry, you should rematerialize momentarily)

jellyfish

MBTI Type
INTP
My IQ is above 130, because I qualified for a program that doesn't take people with an IQ below that in grade school, but I don't know what it is exactly. This is according to a school test.
Hah.
So at least I'm average, even if I take away about 10 points for luck.

redacted

i don't believe you guys. well, maybe some.

don't you know that >=140 IQ is like .4% of the population?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I think some of the online IQ tests are geared to be easier than the real thing. Which sort of makes sense, since alot of them want to sell you a report.

Which would be more tempting:

A) You scored 105! Slightly above average! Buy our report to find out what to do with your averageness.
B) You scored 138! Your near genius IQ puts you at the top of the population. With great intelligence, comes great responsibility. Purchase our report to find out what gifts your geniusness has afforded you!

redacted

I think some of the online IQ tests are geared to be easier than the real thing. Which sort of makes sense, since alot of them want to sell you a report.

Which would be more tempting:

A) You scored 105! Slightly above average! Buy our report to find out what to do with your averageness.
B) You scored 138! Your near genius IQ puts you at the top of the population. With great intelligence, comes great responsibility. Purchase our report to find out what gifts your geniusness has afforded you!

Of course. I just wonder why so many people are posting their online test scores... I actually know very few people that have taken real IQ tests. I only took one because my parents spent a bunch of money on a psychological evaluation since I never did well in school.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Of course. I just wonder why so many people are posting their online test scores... I actually know very few people that have taken real IQ tests. I only took one because my parents spent a bunch of money on a psychological evaluation since I never did well in school.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhrfhjLd9e4"]I am so smart[/YOUTUBE]

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've probably posted on here before but I think it's worth making this point.

I scored very well on a MENSA test a few years ago (it was taken under examination conditions).

I would trade in at least 10 IQ points for a bit more common sense and patience.

Success is nearly always about having a good attitude and working hard.

It was worth while me doing an IQ test at the time, as it was a real boost to my flagging morale.

However, there isn't a day that goes by without me doing something stupid, or wondering what the hell it is that I know about practically anything.

Provoker

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Historically, I've taken a few tests and scored between 131 and 155, but I don't trust online tests as I'm convinced they inflate the scores to make people feel good about themselves so that they will buy the IQ reports. It is a business. Moreover, my variety of intelligence--a philosophical intelligence and ultralogic approach to life that transcends everything I do and think about--is beyond the measure of simple-simon IQ tests. But society has preconceived notions of what constitutes intelligence. For instance, sometimes when we have company over my Mom will inevitably tell me to get my Rubik's cube out and solve it in a minute for her guests. Personally, I regard this as objectionable as I don't think an ability to solve a Rubik's cube is any more telling of intelligence than a person with an ability to solve y=mx+b. The first time one does it it is an accomplishment, but to continue doing it in front of an audience is vain. On the other hand, a person who can read War and Peace and, upon reading it once, be in a position to expound on the novel in great detail and reflect critically on some of the core ideas of the book is much more telling of intelligence. I'm not sure about you guys, but I can sense my intelligence oscillate between my average intelligence and peak intelligence, the difference being highly influenced by level of concentration. Indeed, when all my mental energies are allocated into one area, I am very intellectually productive in that area. The trouble is that there are all these daily distractions, what normal people call life, that get in the way. As a result, I am about 98 percent average, and only 2 percent genius.

---
As a follow up to the above point, to minimize distractions I've prepared the following framework, which I will implement in September. In essence, the framework will be based on organizational principles. These principles will be based on a small circle of conditions that will dictate what ought be done and how my daily regiment ought be structured. The main purpose of this is to create a context wherein I can be as intellectually productive as possible. The two most salient principles are precision and effectiveness. In terms of precision, I will become time. My daily regiment will be so systematic, punctilious, and exact that one will be able to adjust one's watch merely by observing where I am on a given day. Thus, if I am on a particular street at a particular time, one will know I'm on my way to get coffee because that's what I always do at that spacetime. Precision will help create a very organized atmosphere, which for me has always been a precondition for productivity and effectiveness. Moreover, by systematizing nearly every aspect of life, comparable to military-life, and holding as many variables as possible fixed, I will be able to complete daily tasks on autopilot while allocating conscious creative energy to the program and my thesis. However, one would be correct to point out that the world is more stochastic than my model suggests, and there are countless indeterminate variables that can and will come up. Part of this is solved by the preparation of not just five or six contingencies, but thousands, and part is solved by an improvisation component that will be incorporated into my model. It should also be carefully noted that this does not exclude women or athletics as some may thoughtlessly assume. On the contrary, both will have their rightful place in my life, and both have historically had a postive impact on productivity for me. In effect, this is merely building on my old routine from undergrad, which allowed me to maintain 4.0s and finish in the top 4 in classes of 250, except this brings it to the next level.

unityemissions

MBTI Type
INFP
I took the asvab pretest which is strictly the afqt portion which measures IQ. The recruiters were perplexed when I told them I was finished. Apparently the test takes most people a half hour or longer. I finished it in under eight minutes. Truly thought it was a joke, and would get harder eventually...then I was done! Guy asked me if I was a genius as we were walking back to check the score. As he pulled it up I answered, "Well, kind of". Then the result popped up, 97th percentile. Apparently I not only finished it the fastest that they had seen, but got the highest score for that location on the pretest. I think maybe I missed a question on word definition. The math, science, and lateral thinking was retarded easy.

INTP, here. :hi:

Nizy

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Ah IQ testing, the grand circlejerk.

spin-1/2-nuclei

MBTI Type
INTJ
Ah IQ testing, the grand circlejerk.

Agreed... I always find it curious how attached some people can be to their IQ score. Validation can be a powerful tool for manipulating those who require it. It's really quite fascinating.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I only know one person at my school who's taken an IQ test.

I have a friend who took the ASVAB. He got 92 and thought the score was wrong since he views himself as significantly below average for our school.

How much more common was IQ testing in the past? Both my parents were tested but the only case among my grade was just to get into mensa.

Idioteque

Goddamn, seems like the 2% of the population with an IQ of >130 can be found right here at typologycentral.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ LOL, yes.

It seems that an interest in typology and an internet connection is automatic for people who test above the 98th percentile.

I didn't take the ASVAB, and my IQ subtest scores ranged from 91(processing speed) to 134(verbal), with a lot of the scores around 110.

But what is also strange is how many people were actually subject to such tests. Not that many people I knew took the ASVAB because it was an optional test among 847594875 not-optional tests in school and was only really necessary if you were planning for military service. For IQ tests, those are usually only given if one is likely to need either gifted education or standard special education. I suppose a lot of the people here were in the gifted programs at school, since non-gifted special education recipients seem to be mostly absent from the forum....

Meh, getting tired of saying mostly the same things over and over again. Will take apart the thread for something new when I have enough time to process it, lol.

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I took the ASVAB two weeks ago.
AFQT= 99
GT= 148

My IQ= 75. Just kidding-- I just hate the dogmas of the brights, and don't like to be associated with them.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IQ 143 last time I got tested (years ago, figure my brain's been fried by TV since then :D). No idea what ASVAB is.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Goddamn, seems like the 2% of the population with an IQ of >130 can be found right here at typologycentral.
There's nothing weird about a highly intellectual subject attracting only highly intelligent people.