User Tag List

First 3456 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Has anyone noticed how the thread title is cut off from the end of "bithches"?

Does one have to be NT to notice the thread is about NF?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Language controls thought. I just read an article this morning about Orwell: "He believed that bad language and bad politics were one and the same," the author said. Interesting -- maybe food for another thread?...
    We might focus on precision in the text: Words in relationship to themselves, detached from the human objects they point towards. Other people do have emotional overtones (and sometimes far more) attached to those pointers. That's where THEIR sense of nuance comes into play.
    Well I tend to weigh words pretty heavily. As far as their (un)truth is concerned, that's true (hehe...). I guess I tend to separate their literal content from their effect...

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
    Well I tend to weigh words pretty heavily. As far as their (un)truth is concerned, that's true (hehe...). I guess I tend to separate their literal content from their effect...
    That would make the B-word all the more inappropriate, wouldn't it?
    Still, I see no reason to seperate conotation and denotation and thus lose the richness of language...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    INtP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I'm tired of the humans referring to the females of their kind as "bitch".

I'm here to take the word back.
    How about deleting the word from existence?

*sigh* If that were only possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    This is so rare that it almost never happens. People usually get the idea if you chastise them severely enough and quickly enough.
    That may stop them, but on a large scale, it exacerbates the problem. If they internalize what has been said about them, their behavior will worsen.

If they in fact are the sort of person who gives a damn in the first place. Then you can't do anything. It won't work.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by dyspraxion View Post
    That may stop them, but on a large scale, it exacerbates the problem. If they internalize what has been said about them, their behavior will worsen.
    That's one of the problems with things like this. Squashing the behavior just drives the resentments deeper. It can't provide long-term solutions.

It's just it has to be balanced with the idea that permitting certain behaviors sometimes can also cause them to race out of control, if people enjoy them

If they in fact are the sort of person who gives a damn in the first place. Then you can't do anything. It won't work.
    yeah. in terms of what I said above, controls work on people who are sort of indifferent to the whole thing and so they'll just stop doing it to avoid punishment. For those who are vested in the behavior, prohibiting it just builds tension.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Well since I call myself a bastard or son of a bitch all the time, it should all equal out right?

PS It is all about tone and context, as in all colorful adjectives. It also really depends on the person.

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

NF forum: Either something about love. or emotions. I should be more accurate than a dragunov SVD about this.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

There is something called a euphimism treadmill. You call someone retarded, and every starts calling people they don't like retarded, and things they don't like retarded, until it has nothing to do with being retarded. So then it becomes the term "special" and after a while people use that AND retarded, and two terms that were okay are now taboo.

It seems like with swears it does the opposite. They are taboo, but eventually start being used more and more. Think n*****, as well as bitch and other.

To be honest, I hate it when people are like "This would not be okay for me, so It cannot be okay for you!" In my group of friends we use every swear word under the sun (as well as alot of eloquiant words, ussually ofset by the random f*** hole jesus f***, great job Swifty McNoskills), even the c-bomb, and so doesn't my girlfriend, and she is completelly fine with it. Because we don't let words have power over us.

Do I say it around her mom? Or in public, loudly? No...but just because people would bitch. Its like the magical lumberjack used to say "I don't give a hell about your feelings, if they are stupid."
    "You would lose your money," Sherlock Holmes remarked calmly. "As for the article I wrote it myself."

"You!"

"Yes, I have a turn both for observation and for deduction. The theories which I have expressed there, and which appear to you to be so chimerical are really extremely practical -- so practical that I depend upon them for my bread and cheese."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Words don't carry with them an instructional dictionary definition to be precisely used in every conversation... in conversation, people mean, words don't mean. Thus, intent/motive/character/subtext/context is everything in language. Dictionary definitions are almost irrelevant when you're in a conversation. And thus, communication is so tricky because no two people think exactly the same way about any one word.

So the sensitivity non-NTs have toward language is perfectly logical. In fact, I don't even understand what this thread is about other than the frustration that comes with activating a feeler's feelings, throwing the onus on the other rather than examining what we ourselves can do to increase (a) our conversational skills and (b) our imagination which allows us to perceive what a word might mean to another.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

So people keep complaining about NFs but I just checked out the rest of the private forums and well SJs of any variation freak me out! so much. I recognize they have a larger majority, but man they freak me out. Usernames like DisneyGeek and Giggly? American flags plastered everywhere... just thought I'd put that out ther