First 23456 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Wilson View Post
    This is why, I think, the human race as a whole is being held back intellectually. We still allow our own constructs (words, in this case) to affected our feelings and actions.
    Since we "think" with words, i.e., they provide the "software language" our hardware runs in order to act and speak, how are we supposed to process feelings and actions without them?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Such selective disparity. We're quick to take offense at apparent "weakness" while thumbing our nose at the notion of being "offended."

Petty hypocrisy.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Since we "think" with words, i.e., they provide the "software language" our hardware runs in order to act and speak, how are we supposed to process feelings and actions without them?
    I didn't mean to get rid of them entirely. I just don't get the point of being offended by them. They're only words and they only have as much meaning as we give them, so why let them affect us if we have control over their power?
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

It is ironic, though, that us INTP's are sometimes so obsessed with precise language...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    IsTP

I'd be lying if I said their posts didn't irk me slightly. I'm irked I wasted the time reading through them, I think this thread isn't really necessary and only validates their smiley-filled rants.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    It is ironic, though, that us INTPs are sometimes so obsessed with precise language...
    Fixed.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

The thread title is out of line, I wont read anything written here
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ

This thread reminds of the game little kids play "I'm not touching you"
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mippus
    It is ironic, though, that us INTPs are sometimes so obsessed with precise language...
    Fixed.
    Not quite. It should say "we INTPs" not "us".
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    This thread reminds of the game little kids play "I'm not touching you"
    I'm not touching you either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Wilson View Post
    I didn't mean to get rid of them entirely. I just don't get the point of being offended by them. They're only words and they only have as much meaning as we give them, so why let them affect us if we have control over their power?
    I feel sort of stuck in both worlds. I understand how to be detached from words and free. I also understand how words and language define who we are. Looking back at my childhood, I remember being able to impersonally analyze the situation and critique words aimed at me by people who hurt me, who I should have been able to trust; yet I was also deeply wounded by them, no matter how much my "brain" told me it didn't matter. I see both. We're not machines.

Language controls thought. I just read an article this morning about Orwell: "He believed that bad language and bad politics were one and the same," the author said. Interesting -- maybe food for another thread?

Much of the detachment INTPs practice (especially when younger) occurs because they naturally avoid intimate relationships with others. So of course we're not impacted by words -- we're not impacted by anything because we've put a buffer around ourselves.

But I guarantee that if you let yourself get close to someone, really close, and thus vulnerable to them and even dependent on them in some ways (*gasp!*), words start mattering.

This is what the rest of the world does understand. Not just in our personal relationships but in our public ones: Words and what names we assign to what things or what groups of people shape cultural thought, they shape public policy, they shape how we raise our kids.

We might focus on precision in the text: Words in relationship to themselves, detached from the human objects they point towards. Other people do have emotional overtones (and sometimes far more) attached to those pointers. That's where THEIR sense of nuance comes into play.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft