User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: ENTJs in love..

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Harlow_Jem View Post
    is it kind of like an unleashing of a massive force pouring out of a spout that's both too small and has no handles to control the flow?
    Well said. The very few times I have been in love, it was similar to the description above. It tends to dominate my life in a healthy way.

Essentially, when i say 'Love', I mean 'Love'. It won't be watered down. It will blast you full force, like it or not. Maybe to the extent of sappy. Then again, I am a sucker for the traditional notion of romance(romantic evenings, sunsets, the works).

MBTI
    eNTj
    Enneagram
    8w7

I find that I only work in extremes. I either give no love or all my love. I can't seem to figure out how to give just enough love.

This is me. When I do love, it comes hard. I love fiercely and passionately, with everything in me. Balance is hard for me. If I ever find that love to be improperly distrubuted or timed, I will, however, shut it off.

It's all or nothing, really. It's not that I stop loving that person, because when I love them, it's very genuine. But I do separate it from myself and pack it far, far away so much that if I ever need or want to pull it out again, it's going to have to be unburried.

Transalation: Once I choose to pack it away, it's going to take a lot more work and a few more hurdles before I pull it back out again, since obviously something happened initially to make me disconnect from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    It will blast you full force, like it or not. Maybe to the extent of sappy. Then again, I am a sucker for the traditional notion of romance(romantic evenings, sunsets, the works).
    Thank you. I was beginning to think I was an odd ENTJ.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    E:63% N:84% T:84% J:68%
    8w7 sx

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Okay, I don't know if it's just me but for other ENTJ's out there: the rare times that you actually happen to fall in love, is it kind of like an unleashing of a massive force pouring out of a spout that's both too small and has no handles to control the flow?

I find that I only work in extremes. I either give no love or all my love. I can't seem to figure out how to give just enough love.
    I'm much the same way. It's all or nothing.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Okay, I don't know if it's just me but for other ENTJ's out there: the rare times that you actually happen to fall in love, is it kind of like an unleashing of a massive force pouring out of a spout that's both too small and has no handles to control the flow?

All or nothing

We naturally keep a tight leash on ourselves, but since we are most detached from our feelings, and our Feelings will never be fully conscious (we will never be IxFP's), we are just all or nothing...

It's a weakness but also a strength (a strength when you're with the right ppl)
    bruised and battered ENTJ sx/sp/so 8w9
    Tri-fix: 8w9 sx/sp - 3w4 sp/sx - 5w6 soc/sx
    http://leonardolestat.mypersonality.info

(I'm secretly ENxP, but don't tell anyone)

"Mother, I love you, I never meant to hit you over the head with that shovel."

MBTI
    ENTP

I think you crystal-clearly summed it up. As ENTJ's, we don't fall in love a lot, probably because of our high standards and our desire to ensure the relationship makes sense and fits into the bigger picture, but once we do fall, it's often with our hands tied behind our back, and face-first onto the concrete.

It's a good thing, I think - in that while we're not desperate, when we do fall in love, it's actually real and wholehearted.

Two quotes that I think sum up our philosophies of love well.

1) "I am falling quicker than I thought I could or said I would; and you aren't helping any. Help me, break my fall. Catch me with your smile."

2) "I don't want to build my life around you, but I want to include you in the building of my life." This quote, I think, defines us as ENTJ's, in that we are only accepting of love if love, indeed, "makes sense." If it doesn't, we'd rather be by ourselves.

Marc

Banned

I used to feel this way. Then I realized it was just hormones. Now I just take these bouts of "love" for what they are, and wait for them to pass...sort of like the flu. There are people I care for deeply, because I see great value in them as human beings, but this "falling for" stuff is, in my mind, something akin to PMS or postpartum depression. I think that's why it's generally quite fleeting. You may grow to genuinely care for the person on the other end of your chemical weirdness, but the falling itself is no different than what rutting animals experience (which is perfectly fine by me, btw...I'm okay with being an ape). I think ENTJs may find this more disconcerting than other types simply because it's something they cannot control. We're all just victims of our biology, regardless of how driven and reasonable we believe ourselves to be.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marc790 View Post
    I think you crystal-clearly summed it up. As ENTJ's, we don't fall in love a lot, probably because of our high standards and our desire to ensure the relationship makes sense and fits into the bigger picture, but once we do fall, it's often with our hands tied behind our back, and face-first onto the concrete.
    I definitely share this all or nothing attitude.

It's a good thing, I think - in that while we're not desperate, when we do fall in love, it's actually real and wholehearted.
    I can't stand the thought of being with someone who could just have easily chosen to be with someone else. I live in a small town so I see people dating/marrying just for the sake of being with someone (everyone's bored and there's not a lot of choices). It's sickening.

Two quotes that I think sum up our philosophies of love well.

1) "I am falling quicker than I thought I could or said I would; and you aren't helping any. Help me, break my fall. Catch me with your smile."

2) "I don't want to build my life around you, but I want to include you in the building of my life." This quote, I think, defines us as ENTJ's, in that we are only accepting of love if love, indeed, "makes sense." If it doesn't, we'd rather be by ourselves.

Marc
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

MBTI
    ENTP

Nor I. There is something to be said for standards, and I just cannot stand people who say shit like, "Ph she completes me," or cheesy, "romantic" crap like that. Idealistically, one should come to a relationship already being completed.

There's a really wonderful book of poetry by a man named Peter McWilliams that succintly sums up a lot of things about love - I'd recommend it.

I remember getting the book for an SO when we first started dating and her calling me the next day and asking if I knew it was written by a gay man for his gay lover. In the end, we agreed that love, no matter gay or straight, still carries the same emotions. The book is called "Come Love With Me and Be My Life." Check it out. Another sample of that poet's work - and the discussion here:

"Two halves have no choice but to join, and yes, that makes a whole. But two wholes, when they coincide, that's beautiful. That's love."

What the hell is a wubbie?

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post

I can't stand the thought of being with someone who could just have easily chosen to be with someone else. I live in a small town so I see people dating/marrying just for the sake of being with someone (everyone's bored and there's not a lot of choices). It's sickening.

MBTI
    ENTP

By the way, people get married when they're bored? Whatever happened to playing pool or, I don't know, umm ...reading a book? If I got into relationships for every time I am bored, I'd have more exes than Philip Markoff has women's panties.

Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post

Monogamy, along with many other aspects of what love is supposed to look like is not natural. Either is staying in one relationship for the duration of your life. Therefore love is work. Work that I'm hoping will be worth it.