• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP Central

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
My problem with INTPc was definitely the feeling of people talking over me to engage each other.
I think the whole "attention whore" meme is taken way too far by a lot of people. Feedback is important. There is a thread on INTPc now about people who post in threads but never originate threads of their own. Many INTP's explained that they are better at responding than proposing, but what if there were no proposers ( sometimes denigrated as "attention whores" ) to get things going ? There would be little activity then, it seems, besides the occasional programming, poker, or stock market tip. Like that song Smells Like Teen Spirit - "Here we are now, entertain us".
Like Jennifer said, here, someone is going to respond to you.
I don't think it's that much better here, actually.

On both sites, I've found, the broader and more simple your idea, the more responses you get.

There was a member named Headfonz who would run threads with titles like ( I'm just making up an example ) "Not Sure" and the OP might be "Sometimes I'm sure and sometimes I'm not. Do you know what I mean?" This would be the entire OP. Folks might chuckle about the simplicity of it, but they would often quickly get to applying this template to their specific situation, and so First Thread Poster ( FTP ) might say "Yeah, I'm not sure about X right now", and STP might comment on their soap opera in a similar way and say "I'm not sure about Y because of so and so. But things used to be more clear cut because of yadda yadda". Later posters could continue this, or make remarks about FTP or STP etc. it would end up being a fairly lively thread.

But if you purposely eliminate a lot of the more obvious responses to what you're posting, by second-guessing them and ruling them out from the start, you are hoping for a thread which is the opposite of the one I just gave examples of.

I'm often trying to do this latter kind of approach. Getting responses of any kind is ....something, so that one doesn't feel the "vacuum" as was stated; but getting sophisticated response is what I really want. And I know there are people at both sites quite capable of giving it. ( Not that I haven't run some silly threads for fun, or engaged in banter etc. - and me saying this is an example of ruling out a response I'm not interested in. )

Kangol

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not really getting the argument that INTPc is too hostile and intolerant. Part of the reason I left that forum was the accruing thoughtless fluff, as a wider range of personalities joined the forum. It was one of the signs to pack up. And I definitely wasn't one of the hostile ones. Perhaps because I felt no need to.

Here, I've felt more of a need to, as if to fill a void out of necessity.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been tempted for quite awhile to go to INTPCentral and say:

"Hey, I'm a new INFP. That means A) I likely have hyper developed Ti and am probably INXP, which makes me smarter than you and B) I'll likely get banned shortly because you guys can't get my unique and awesome blend of humor.

PS: Is it possible to change my name so it has the word "Brain" in it, on account of me being so smart and all?"

Then I realize I'm too lazy to do any of that.

You should totally do that.

Take lube.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think it's that much better here, actually.

It varies, based on the topic.

Here the forum seems more diverse, type-wise, so chances are depending on where you post, there's a higher chance you'll hit someone who your comment resonates with even if 95% of the people ignore you. I think you have to be more tightly targeted over there... if you appeal to the local demographic, you hit more people, if you miss you're unnoticed.

I've noticed more interaction lately, but I can't tell if that's partly because I changed my posting style a bit and also my expectations.

There was a member named Headfonz who would run threads with titles like ( I'm just making up an example ) "Not Sure" and the OP might be "Sometimes I'm sure and sometimes I'm not. Do you know what I mean?" This would be the entire OP.

That's not much of an exaggeration.

Folks might chuckle about the simplicity of it, but they would often quickly get to applying this template to their specific situation, and so First Thread Poster ( FTP ) might say "Yeah, I'm not sure about X right now", and STP might comment on their soap opera in a similar way and say "I'm not sure about Y because of so and so. But things used to be more clear cut because of yadda yadda". Later posters could continue this, or make remarks about FTP or STP etc. it would end up being a fairly lively thread.

He's not really posting anything himself. He's just pitching out vague questions that people can bend to suit their own interests, they're just containers for their own thoughts.

I'm often trying to do this latter kind of approach. Getting responses of any kind is ....something, so that one doesn't feel the "vacuum" as was stated; but getting sophisticated response is what I really want.

I think you have more chance of getting extensive feedback if you (1) make the post/question something is a container for someone else's ideas or angle on the question and (2) lowering the details of your own content. Sometimes lengthy answers, i've found, can shut down dialog and not spur it on.

stigmatica

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Jennifer, I think you should use that same signature over at INTPc ;)

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I hated it there. Almost all of them are a bunch of vacuous, toffee-nosed, malodorous perverts* (in one way or another)

*Monty Python's Flying Cirus, Argument Clinic Sketch.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y&feature=related"]At 0:43!![/YOUTUBE]

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The more an organization puts its new members through hazing, the more it has to offer in terms of recognized accomplishment for being accepted. What does an internet forum offer when there are similar forums in terms of topics and types that don't require the hazing? What is the added payoff for the new person to submit to hazing? I've wondered if that process weeds out some rational people.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
... I've wondered if that process weeds out some rational people.

Sort of the same philosophy that covers people running for public office.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sort of the same philosophy that covers people running for public office.
That is an unfortunate truth. I guess as long as it provides fodder for the funnies like John Stewart, all is not lost.

Miserable

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
Eh, that's more the old INTPc. I actually see more arguments along those lines over here now.

Exactly what it's like. Still.

I'd still prefer it there than here....

I'm not sure why so many people here dislike it.

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not sure about INTJs, but as an INTP....

INTPs usually find a way to be AWESOME at what we set our minds to do.

But upon becoming AWESOME, we find a way, in our minds, to disqualify our own AWESOMENESS as NOT-BEING-AWESOME-ENOUGH. Then, we feel miserable, thinking we haven't outdone ourselves, while the rest of the world continues to applaud our AWESOMENESS.

Of course, being an INTP, what the world thinks is of little consequence to us. ;)

And that's one reason why being an INTP sucks. We can never outdo ourselves in our own minds. A pat on the back? Pfft, save it for the ESFPs.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Ooo, sounds like an interesting place.

Edit: Every time I attempt to create an account it gets instabanned. Am I doing something wrong?