• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP Central

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can agree with all of that. I just happen to think that that's why INTPs should never, ever be in large, homogenous groups. They need other types pressuring them to behave in a decent manner, whether they like it or not.

Your judgments are kind of legendary at this point.

I still don't understand how they can be so decent one-on-one, though... It just doesn't make sense that those same people must act so unreasonably and hatefully in groups! If they would just act the same way publicly that they do privately... sigh.

If you're noticing an inconsistency, wouldn't that be a great reason to maybe reexamine your beliefs and where you've drawn them from, and try to figure out if there are other reasons than the ones you've been assuming?

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little.

Don't sell yourself short.

I wasn't there for very long, I'm just judging it on the few moments I was there in 2007.

Exacty. Four years ago. For a few moments.

That's a pretty small window of data.
Maybe it's time to reevaluate what you think and why.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I just happen to think that that's why INTPs should never, ever be in large, homogenous groups. They need other types pressuring them to behave in a decent manner, whether they like it or not.
Too funny.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's kind of the reason INTPc exists in the first place... to get out from under other peoples' thumbs.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Precisely.

To be the way you are innately because you can't be that way anywhere else.

I feel like responding like I would to my mom when I was a kid: "You don't know me mom. You don't understand how I am, so leave me alone."

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's kind of the reason INTPc exists in the first place... to get out from under other peoples' thumbs.

Precisely.

To be the way you are innately because you can't be that way anywhere else.

I feel like responding like I would to my mom when I was a kid: "You don't know me mom. You don't understand how I am, so leave me alone."

:cry:

Wow, I had no idea life was like that for you.

I've felt similar things before... for different reasons, I imagine.

I'd apologize, but I don't think it would be particularly meaningful to you at this point. I'll just... leave you alone.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
So, since there is a bit of ambiguity as to the circumstances surrounding my ban from the forum, I'll provide some background.

I originally joined INTPc back in 2006 or sometime around then; I posted for a while and then disappeared for a couple of years. I returned about the time Alyssa, a former girlfriend of mine, was killed in a car accident. At the time, I was going through some other things also, and spent a lot of time indoors on my computer. The forum provided a way to interact with others, express myself, whatever, without having to go outside and face the world.

I absolutely love to debate, but I have little tolerance for personal attacks. As a consequence, I will tend to respond to such with either feigned ignorance or some other absurd farce. Personal attacks seem to be all too common in forum interaction, and INTPc was not an exception to that rule. As a consequence, I was often prone to posting silly nonsense as a way to toy with these distasteful (to me anyways) posts. This, of course, is very akin to trolling since both aim to "mess with others." I eventually went so far as to create a thread entitled Are some INTPs Poopy?, after having met with so many "poopy responses." While I realize this isn't the best way to respond, and would now perhaps ignore rather than confront with the absurd, at the time I just felt like fighting nonsense with nonsense. -> "You post a stupid and ignorant response to one of my posts or another person's post, I'll respond to yours with absurd gibberish."

In parallel with this, I developed a reputation for being a creeper and stalker. There was a single member about which I made several flirtatious posts (Ironically only after she made one directed towards me), which created an environment of discomfort for her. There was absolutely nothing obscene or overtly threatening about them (As an example, there was a thread where we were using the South Park Character generator to create South Park versions of ourselves. Right below her post, I posted an image of two South Park characters: her character cropped from her creation, and mine, hand in hand). To me, this seemed like innocent fun, but I failed to understand that the internet is a dark and sometimes scary place, especially for women. For her, these were unwelcome and distasteful interactions, so she sent me a PM about her displeasure, asking me to cease and desist. I then made the mistake of not treating her feelings as valid concerns, and made light of them by returning her PM with a quote from an earlier message we'd exchanged (back in 2006) saying "she'd changed." In retrospect, I should have had more sympathy for her feelings of discomfort, rather than making light of them.

So, these two things culminated in me getting confined to purgatory. Momentum started building against me when a thread was created with a poll, asking whether or not I was a "troll or tryhard." Things snowballed until I eventually created a second account (not to circumvent a ban, but to also post in purgatory, for some fun), after which I was banned. The interesting thing is that, per the FAQs on that site at that time, this was not deemed a bannable offense.

After that permanent ban, I made several other accounts so that I could continue participating in the forum. Had the ban been less than permanent, forever, never to be lifted, etc, I would have probably respected it and not attempted to create other accounts. But, why do that when I'm never going to be allowed back anyways?

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
So, since there is a bit of ambiguity as to the circumstances surrounding my ban from the forum, I'll provide some background.

I originally joined INTPc back in 2006 or sometime around then; I posted for a while and then disappeared for a couple of years. I returned about the time Alyssa, a former girlfriend of mine, was killed in a car accident. At the time, I was going through some other things also, and spent a lot of time indoors on my computer. The forum provided a way to interact with others, express myself, whatever, without having to go outside and face the world.

I absolutely love to debate, but I have little tolerance for personal attacks. As a consequence, I will tend to respond to such with either feigned ignorance or some other absurd farce. Personal attacks seem to be all too common in forum interaction, and INTPc was not an exception to that rule. As a consequence, I was often prone to posting silly nonsense as a way to toy with these distasteful (to me anyways) posts. This, of course, is very akin to trolling since both aim to "mess with others." I eventually went so far as to create a thread entitled Are some INTPs Poopy?, after having met with so many "poopy responses." While I realize this isn't the best way to respond, and would now perhaps ignore rather than confront with the absurd, at the time I just felt like fighting nonsense with nonsense. -> "You post a stupid and ignorant response to one of my posts or another person's post, I'll respond to yours with absurd gibberish."

In parallel with this, I developed a reputation for being a creeper and stalker. There was a single member about which I made several flirtatious posts (Ironically only after she made one directed towards me), which created an environment of discomfort for her. There was absolutely nothing obscene or overtly threatening about them (As an example, there was a thread where we were using the South Park Character generator to create South Park versions of ourselves. Right below her post, I posted an image of two South Park characters: her character cropped from her creation, and mine, hand in hand). To me, this seemed like innocent fun, but I failed to understand that the internet is a dark and sometimes scary place, especially for women. For her, these were unwelcome and distasteful interactions, so she sent me a PM about her displeasure, asking me to cease and desist. I then made the mistake of not treating her feelings as valid concerns, and made light of them by returning her PM with a quote from an earlier message we'd exchanged (back in 2006) saying "she'd changed." In retrospect, I should have had more sympathy for her feelings of discomfort, rather than making light of them.

So, these two things culminated in me getting confined to purgatory. Momentum started building against me when a thread was created with a poll, asking whether or not I was a "troll or tryhard." Things snowballed until I eventually created a second account (not to circumvent a ban, but to also post in purgatory, for some fun), after which I was banned. The interesting thing is that, per the FAQs on that site at that time, this was not deemed a bannable offense.

After that permanent ban, I made several other accounts so that I could continue participating in the forum. Had the ban been less than permanent, forever, never to be lifted, etc, I would have probably respected it and not attempted to create other accounts. But, why do that when I'm never going to be allowed back anyways?

So what was the result of the poll?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While I have more sympathy for you now (since you've been better here, and you've articulated a lot more about context and background), in the end, yeah, you still have to take responsibility for how you represented yourself on that forum. I don't remember much detail, I just remember you acting like a fluffy/argumentative douche all the time... that's all I took away in regard to you. I'm generally even-keel and open to anyone, and that's the generalization of how I recall you, which doesn't bode well.

If you had been half as human and open as you've been here, it would have helped. I empathized with your story when I read it.

EDIT: Poll: If you have an INTPC membership, here is the thread:
http://forums.intpcentral.com/showthread.php?37017-Jonnyboy-troll-or-tryhard

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
While I have more sympathy for you now (since you've been better here, and you've articulated a lot more about context and background), in the end, yeah, you still have to take responsibility for how you represented yourself on that forum. I don't remember much detail, I just remember you acting like a fluffy/argumentative douche all the time... that's all I took away in regard to you. I'm generally even-keel and open to anyone, and that's the generalization of how I recall you, which doesn't bode well.

If you had been half as human and open as you've been here, it would have helped. I empathized with your story when I read it.

I appreciate that. For the most part I have accepted it, but from time to time the urge to participate in the forum crops up again, and I get overcome by annoyance and regret that I can never again be a member of INTPc. I can't even read my own troll or tryhard thread. :D

I won't perpetuate this discussion any further, since this really isn't the place for it. It just helps to vent from time to time.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
It's actually part of the T/F dichotomy, that Thinking types value justice over mercy, and are less likely to make exceptions.

And just then, I suddenly realize why I get typed as F from time to time. It just seems so much more useful to be merciful and gain allies. I thought justice for the sake of justice was an inferior method of dealing with potential obstacles.

Nic

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I checked out the forum a very long, long time ago. I wasn't there for long, but my impression of it was that there were a whole lot of young, college age INTPs on the list. While that can be fun, I'm a little older, and I'm also female. I feel like a different sort of INTP than many of the people who were there. Maybe it's changed since then, though. I suppose I could try to remember my username/password and have a look-see.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*pokes head inside forum*
*sees a mafia subforum*

first reaction: should I be surprised?
second reaction: who cares? it's INTP-only mafia!

*deeply considers making an acc just for this*

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why can't I reply to some threads in this forum?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why can't I reply to some threads in this forum?

The private forums usually require some form of xNTx for your MBTI in your profile (yours says TiSi currently). Or at least they did.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The private forums usually require some form of xNTx for your MBTI in your profile (yours says TiSi currently). Or at least they did.

Yeah your type has to match to access private subforums.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah your type has to match to access private subforums.

Some threads let me reply while others don't. I guess if I want to play I'll have to pay by changing my MBTI.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some threads let me reply while others don't. I guess if I want to play I'll have to pay by changing my MBTI.

Btw, you can be infracted and banned for changing your mbti type just to access anither type's private forum. It's in the faq.