• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP Central

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Looking for more recruits for your circle jerk parties, I see.

Why does that circle jerk differ from this circle jerk?

I enjoy other INTPs, but this site just moves faster and I'm a speed junkie.

Why this forum in particular then? There's even faster forums out there.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Also: if INTPs here at MBTIc would like to offer some constructive criticism about INTPc and why they prefer this community I encourage you to post them in this thread.

Too much posing and insecurity at INTPc. It prevents people from discussing real issues without being attacked, leading to an environment of hostility towards the majority of topics that matter to people. (ie: INTPc would likely translate this as being "too sensitive" and unable to take it)

The result, however, is that discussion is heavily self-moderated. Anyone attempting to discuss interests outside of the board-regarded-appropriate methods/topics gets pushed down fast. Those that wish to discuss a broader topic with others will tend to self-moderate themselves out of the board, leaving, again, only the core attitude.

(I haven't read it in forever, however that's the feeling I have of it from when I was there. I haven't heard much to change that opinion, either.)

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Why does that circle jerk differ from this circle jerk?

Why this forum in particular, then? There's even faster forums out there.

And I visit them, too. But if there is an MBTI forum that is bigger and faster out there, point me to it.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Too much posing and insecurity at INTPc. It prevents people from discussing real issues without being attacked, leading to an environment of hostility towards the majority of topics that matter to people. (ie: INTPc would likely translate this as being "too sensitive" and unable to take it)

The result, however, is that discussion is heavily self-moderated. Anyone attempting to discuss interests outside of the board-regarded-appropriate methods/topics gets pushed down fast. Those that wish to discuss a broader topic with others will tend to self-moderate themselves out of the board, leaving, again, only the core attitude.

(I haven't read it in forever, however that's the feeling I have of it from when I was there. I haven't heard much to change that opinion, either.)

What sort of subjects aren't on the "approved" list?

And I visit them, too. But if there is an MBTI forum that is bigger and faster out there, point me to it.

Why an MBTI fourm?

I don't think this is a circle jerk. I don't see a feedback loop here.

You don't?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
What sort of subjects aren't on the "approved" list?

That seems to depend on the whims of the clique that seem to make their name attacking others. It's not subjects in particular that cause the issue, it's the communication style. Certain topics, like non-INTPs, emotions, supporting status-quo, religion and what are worse, sure, but they aren't the issue in itself. Sometimes the most innocent things drag up someone's insecurity (or the group's insecurities) and it's off the races.

What it reminds me of is going to a political party's rally and questioning one of their talking points. Sometimes civil, sometimes not, but it's not terribly conductive to anything meaningful.

(And of course, it's been a long time since I have been there. The particulars have faded and only the feeling remains, for me.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

That seems to depend on the whims of the clique that seem to make their name attacking others. It's not subjects in particular that cause the issue, it's the communication style. Certain topics, like non-INTPs, emotions, supporting status-quo, religion and what are worse, sure, but they aren't the issue in itself. Sometimes the most innocent things drag up someone's insecurity (or the group's insecurities) and it's off the races.

What it reminds me of is going to a political party's rally and questioning one of their talking points. Sometimes civil, sometimes not, but it's not terribly conductive to anything meaningful.

(And of course, it's been a long time since I have been there. The particulars have faded and only the feeling remains, for me.)

Not much has changed.

They are too offended by discussions of necrophilia and, moreover, too concerned with political correctness and social harmony -- doesn't sound very INTP-like, does it?

Or I don't know, maybe they're not concerned with political correctness, they're just easily offended.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I always thought teh INTP zone should be a bit of a club. One in which, say, a non-INTP should be shamed for statements like, for example, "INTJs are just as good analysts as INTPs, and also get more done." Don't call it INTP Central if that's an acceptable platform.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
They are too offended by discussions of necrophilia and, moreover, too concerned with political correctness and social harmony -- doesn't sound very INTP-like, does it?

Even though you say this in "jest", the point remains. The nature of groups of like individuals claim a group identity, but don't really live it. All that happens is a shifting of standards to a very narrow mindset. It's not more open, it's just closed. Group dynamics can be very different than the nature of the individuals. Especially in cases where certain groups don't have very evolved group traits - the parts that allow healthy group identification are sub-par on average on INTPc.

That's my theory anyway. I've observed it a few times when certain types get together. Happens in reverse too, with other similar types getting into bad situations as a result (get a bunch of STPs together with something "fun" and all sense of reason goes out the window!)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Is it really that monolithic? (Actually see my response to your other post a bit lower)

Not much has changed.

Or I don't know, maybe they're not concerned with political correctness, they're just easily offended.

No, you're just exceptionally bad at reading people and situations. Aspie, yes?

Even though you say this in "jest", the point remains. The nature of groups of like individuals claim a group identity, but don't really live it. All that happens is a shifting of standards to a very narrow mindset. It's not more open, it's just closed. Group dynamics can be very different than the nature of the individuals. Especially in cases where certain groups don't have very evolved group traits - the parts that allow healthy group identification are sub-par on average on INTPc.

That's my theory anyway. I've observed it a few times when certain types get together. Happens in reverse too, with other similar types getting into bad situations as a result (get a bunch of STPs together with something "fun" and all sense of reason goes out the window!)

Is this unavoidable with a forum dominated by (and publicly identifying as) INTPs?

In other words, is this just natural group behavior, or can something be done about it? Identifying it in action?

Sometimes I will see complaints about certain actions or threads. And their complaint is accurate, but sometimes overstated and they often miss the (perhaps even more important) subtext to the situation.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Is it really that monolithic?

Yes. But kind of like the ocean is monolithic in nature. The large scale forces involved make it irrelevent how much individual diversity there is under the surface.

Is this unavoidable with a forum dominated by (and publicly identifying as) INTPs?

All things are biases, and so nothing is truly unavoidable. It simply is extremely likely and would require massive changes to make the change. It was so entrenched that unavoidable is close enough to true, IMO, which is why I'm fairly confident nothing significant has changed.

Why make a change though? If the people there are happy, then does it matter? If people aren't, they can come here, or elsewhere. Both gain - here, as a filtering system, and there as a den of refuge.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why make a change though? If the people there are happy, then does it matter? If people aren't, they can come here, or elsewhere. Both gain - here, as a filtering system, and there as a den of refuge.

There are a lot of INTPs here, and more keep signing up.

We don't want this place to turn into a mirror of INTPc.

While there are things to do here to avoid this, I'm wondering what we can do there to make INTPc a better forum and virtual community.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe a new sister site called Ex-INTP-Ministry.org?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Everything's fine. Just be happy INTPc exists, so MBTIc isn't a perverse hybrid of the two.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp

While there are things to do here to avoid this, I'm wondering what we can do there to make INTPc a better forum and virtual community.

Better how? Why/What do you think it is lacking now?

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
That's what I'm asking.

There were two questions. And you are asking for both?
What I'm interested in is whether anything in particular made you want to fish for MBTIc posters' views on INTPc.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

I don't think there are too many risks of that. It's rather like any defection game. INTPc is a monopoly, MBTIc is not. All MBTIc needs is moderate policing to break up any of the strong cliques that would begin the "monolithic" nature of INTPc. The mods have been doing that pretty well, from what I have seen!

MBTIc, I believe, has grown too big to really have this as a problem. Least, without external support for it (please see: Reputation). So long as there are multiple and malleable camps, MBTIc will do fine. The size now can handle the various "underground" social camps and beliefs.

The only thing that I see as a risk for MBTIc is the forum drivers - the top 10% of posters and their content.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All MBTIc needs is moderate policing to break up any of the strong cliques that would begin the "monolithic" nature of INTPc. The mods have been doing that pretty well, from what I have seen!

We do? If it happens, it's mostly by accident.