User Tag List

First 412131415162464 Last

Thread: INTP Central

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    It's not really criticism I experienced though... more like a group of geeks who after being pushed around by jocks for too long decided to band together and form their own style of bully tactics. Most of the time it's just irritating but occasionally it's tiring enough to be truely annoying.

When I first started on INTPc I shared your views. And they are partly correct, the INTPc does have an Old Boys Club composed of the more active members that does make a new member feel a tad...ignored.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    "Bully tactics" against specific kinds of posters? Who were they used on?

I just didn't notice the malice you're talking about, so I'm wondering.
    I don't think it's aimed like malice would infer.. more in general. Kinda more like the world doesn't normally conform to their standards so on their forum everyone will conform to make up for it.

I've been told that it's probably a case of too many non INTPs. I certainly don't get the whole 'accepting of all types of people' thing which is supposed to be quite common amoungst INTPs. I guess it doesn't help that half the culture is a sight more brash and brazen that what I'm used to. A lot less listening and a whole lot more talking, especially louder than the last guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    When I first started on INTPc I shared your views. And they are partly correct, the INTPc does have an Old Boys Club composed of the more active members that does make a new member feel a tad...ignored.
    I was on about 3,500 posts when I finally gave up. There are some who are quite stuck in their views.

A good example of my problem with INTPc
    INTP Central - View Single Post - Is there any useful philosophy?

Why pull everything down and deconstruct everything just to say "See there's a flaw"? That's too easy. It's soo easy it's not even interesting to read most of the time. Why don't more people expand, build upon, actually try to get somewhere other than the conclusion that nothing is perfect? I could have told people that nothing is perfect and saved them hours of wasted time.
    Last edited by MacGuffin; 11-19-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Merging 3 post(s)
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFP

Two separate threads going now (set up by madmins, no less) trying to pinch our INTPs. It's just not on.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

A good example of my problem with INTPc
    INTP Central - View Single Post - Is there any useful philosophy?

Why pull everything down and deconstruct everything just to say "See there's a flaw"? That's too easy. It's soo easy it's not even interesting to read most of the time. Why don't more people expand, build upon, actually try to get somewhere other than the conclusion that nothing is perfect? I could have told people that nothing is perfect and saved them hours of wasted time.
    Why? Ti. Introverted thinking takes everything apart. You offer something up, it's going to get taken apart. Is it the deconstruction you don't like, or that they don't eventually come around to your conclusions? Like ajblaise said, I'm not really seeing the malice, just a large share of skepticism. They are trying to figure out how and why something works. Building is more extraveted thinking. That will come later, if ever.

I remember going around and around with a few posters over the "alogical" and "God". Months later, mgb admitted that I got the best of him in that debate. Now one of us will post "alogical" and laugh at it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Two separate threads going now (set up by madmins, no less) trying to pinch our INTPs. It's just not on.
    Awww! thanks, JJJ.
    It's actually having the opposite effect tho'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Why? Ti. Introverted thinking takes everything apart. You offer something up, it's going to get taken apart. Is it the deconstruction you don't like, or that they don't eventually come around to your conclusions? Like ajblaise said, I'm not really seeing the malice, just a large share of skepticism. They are trying to figure out how and why something works. Building is more extraveted thinking. That will come later, if ever.

I remember going around and around with a few posters over the "alogical" and "God". Months later, mgb admitted that I got the best of him in that debate. Now one of us will post "alogical" and laugh at it.
    So when we're building all those concepts and questions we're extraverting? That doesn't ring true to me personally.

Anyhow it's not a matter of constructive criticism but time wasters. When you post something up and then have to deal with people who just argue over semantics or just want to sit there and point out other people's work which is on the same lines it's boring. Where's the discussion? It's just a clay pidgeon shoot.

Give me a problem to solve and I'll offer possible solutions. I may challenge the premises and the question asked/ task given but it's with the aim of working towards going forward toward a solution not scoring points or taking the initial premises to pieces to show it all as a bunch of BS. Anything can be proven to be BS if you try hard enough. Damn it we can't even prove our maths and logic is only a work in progress. There are no rules and so having a bunch of people pull stuff apart because it doesn't work from a specific standpoint without offering a way in which it would work is just pointless.

Personally the only reason I ever started coming onto forums was to discuss those ideas that most people I know irl find outside of their interests. I joined INTPc because it was suggested to me that amoungst a group of INTPs pretty much anything could be discussed to a hearts content. Instead I just found a remake on the usual "that doesn't seem like all my other ideas ergo it must be wrong let's burn it". I've found more acceptance of looking at things differently from a bunch of people grouped together in a forum designed around general psychology discussion than I ever did trying to connect with a bunch of people who take pride in how standoffish they can be. Maybe it's just me but I'd think it more arrogant to extrapolate and try and cover other's points of view so there you go... basically.

I mean it's not like I dislike the average INTP. It just seems that in such a concentration it's not only validation for some of the more antisocial attributes but almost encouragement.

MBTI
    ISTP

but it's with the aim of working towards going forward toward a solution not scoring points
    This is the part that resonated with me a lot, and really describes how I felt at INTPc. It often describes INTJs and INTPs in my life too. I also don't believe it is intrinsic - often when told what they are doing, they stop and become constructive... that is, in RL, not when there are a lot of them supporting one another

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    This is the part that resonated with me a lot, and really describes how I felt at INTPc. It often describes INTJs and INTPs in my life too. I also don't believe it is intrinsic - often when told what they are doing, they stop and become constructive... that is, in RL, not when there are a lot of them supporting one another
    Hadn't thought of that. I've only one NT friend and he's an INTJ. We often spend a whole lot of time sparing to no particular end. It's quite frightening when we agree. Solutions come quicker than the problems almost!

MBTI
    ISTP

Hadn't thought of that. I've only one NT friend and he's an INTJ. We often spend a whole lot of time sparing to no particular end. It's quite frightening when we agree. Solutions come quicker than the problems almost!
    It depends on the degree and the goal, I suppose. At work, it is highly annoying. In personal life, it depends on the topic and the personal involvement with it.

I always think of it as equivalent to the male "outdo one another" things.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    It depends on the degree and the goal, I suppose. At work, it is highly annoying. In personal life, it depends on the topic and the personal involvement with it.

I always think of it as equivalent to the male "outdo one another" things.
    Ah a new expansion for INTPc. A virtual table with a tape measure fixed to it and a small sign saying "put up or shut up".