User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    intj

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    MBTI should never be used in the employment process, imo. What, just because I'm an EFNP I can't be a programmer, for example? Test my capabilities, not my type....
    They literally had people put four name tags on. She did actually mention Jung's name during the presentation but said "we wont go into that". It was extremely dumbed down. They passed out a booklet with child like illustrations of each type. I was some guy reaching for the stars. INTP was a guy juggling a bunch of shit. INFP was a child with a doll and a pistol (joking).
    "A species of perfection and fantasy"......

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

MBTI should never be used in the employment process, imo. What, just because I'm an EFNP I can't be a programmer, for example? Test my capabilities, not my type....
    It's actually an unethical use of type and everyone who goes through a real qualifying program is taught that. ..sigh.
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOp View Post
    They literally had people put four name tags on. She did actually mention Jung's name during the presentation but said "we wont go into that". It was extremely dumbed down. They passed out a booklet with child like illustrations of each type. I was some guy reaching for the stars. INTP was a guy juggling a bunch of shit. INFP was a child with a doll and a pistol (joking).
    The shame is you can move to application so quickly. I might take a whole morning to introduce the preferences but at every preference pair we look at workplace implications to identify differences in motivations, communication needs, meeting efficiencies, etc. By lunch we're on to solving the team's real problems but everyone has a better delineation between normal differences and things to get upset over...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    It's actually an unethical use of type and everyone who goes through a real qualifying program is taught that. ..sigh.
    That's a major issue for me... I like to hear your approach and side a lot because I've seen a few bad implementations... makes me have a bit more faith.

The sad thing is that I'm sure I could say they have the right intentions, either. All too often they *are* using it as sorting mechanism, and even if they do so ignorantly, it causes divides and misunderstandings (especially in areas that are dominantly one type) without the right guidance (and it seems, sometimes even then.)

Sometimes I'm torn behind the principles of helping bring people together by letting them understand their differences... and between knowing that pointing out differences causes many rifts. All too often a group will fragment if the majority doesn't already side on the open-minded portion.

I have never heard of almost any personality profiling being used in anything but sales positions (and that isn't MBTI or anything similar).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

BlueWings book (i read the intro online ) made a mention of why the MBTI is not taken seriously:

it lacks rigor to the average person. Your example of how the lady basically scoffed at Jung is exactly the kind that lacks "rigor". It would be like if some moron showed up to the office to talk about health and weight training, only to scoff at something written by Mark Ripptoe...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I have never heard of almost any personality profiling being used in anything but sales positions (and that isn't MBTI or anything similar).
    Last week I used it with a fundraising team. Leadership/management at that company comes in a couple weeks, as well as a session with the HR people who are actually trained on the MBTI so they can use it more effectively (and hopefully avoid putting on sessions like the OP describes!)

I've used it with regulatory groups to help them better communicate to the rest of the company why they are friends to marketing, not foes.

Teachers and school leaders...that's my main market. I love getting all of a district's principals in a room and watching them fall off their chairs as they become aware of their biases. Almost as good as spirituality workshops with pastors and lay people mixed together
    edcoaching

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    BlueWings book (i read the intro online ) made a mention of why the MBTI is not taken seriously:

it lacks rigor to the average person. Your example of how the lady basically scoffed at Jung is exactly the kind that lacks "rigor". It would be like if some moron showed up to the office to talk about health and weight training, only to scoff at something written by Mark Ripptoe...
    Bluewing has a book? Post the link!
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Bluewing has a book? Post the link!
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...-typology.html
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INTJ

MBTI should never be used in the employment process, imo.

Indeed it should not. The tendency will be for management to select people they are likely to feel comfortable with rather than those who will do the best job in a particular field. These will typically be the so called 'stable extroverts' :- easy going, compliant, flexible, conservative etc etc.