User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I agree with Booya. Basic genetics says that because men have less genes than we do (the XX contains more genetic information than the XY because the Y is smaller) it means they are rolling far less dice than us.
    You must work at the cutting edge of genetic science, 'cos last time I checked, the genes that code for intelligence haven't been identified. They sure as hell don't live on the Y chromosome.
    Please don't perpetuate this rubbish.

All that can be said about X/Y is that men are susceptible to all the same mutations of X that women are, plus a few of their own. The Y is mostly junk DNA.

If most women gravitate towards the centre, it is because society pressurizes them more to do so and because they have fewer opportunities/encouragement to excel.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by centerofthesun View Post
    Aside from feeling alienated from the cultural stereotype of women, what, generally, do NT women do differently? (i.e. 1) Are they more emotional, 2) better at relationships, 3) less agressive? 4) Do they desire more to get married and 5) have kids than their male counterparts? etc) This is something I've been interested in, but alas, I am the only NT female I know of IRL, and my view of myself is ultimately biased.
    I have bolded what I will answer from an INTJ female perspective :P I know no other NT females so I can't really judge from experience of that.

1) No really really not, unless it is hormonal, of which isn't really emotion
    2) Absolutely NOT.
    3) Definitely not. Though I don't tend to be aggressive but can come off as aggressive.
    4) Absolutely not
    5) DEFINITELY not.
    Strongly Introverted
    Strongly Intuitive
    Strongly Thinker
    Reasonably Judger

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    You must work at the cutting edge of genetic science, 'cos last time I checked, the genes that code for intelligence haven't been identified. They sure as hell don't live on the Y chromosome.
    Please don't perpetuate this rubbish.

All that can be said about X/Y is that men are susceptible to all the same mutations of X that women are, plus a few of their own. The Y is mostly junk DNA.

If most women gravitate towards the centre, it is because society pressurizes them more to do so and because they have fewer opportunities/encouragement to excel.
    I never claimed they were directly and 100% the cause; in fact, I clarified that clearly there were sociological explanations.

Your bolded claim is far less substantiated than my claims you are refuting.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't think there's a difference between NT males and females other than the biological differences.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I never claimed they were directly and 100% the cause; in fact, I clarified that clearly there were sociological explanations.

Your bolded claim is far less substantiated than my claims you are refuting.
    In general women have fewer opportunities and less encouragement. This is a well-substantiated and historical fact. Logically then, there are going to be fewer women that will excel in typically male fields until the balance is redressed.

As for there being more retarded men than women - I don't know I haven't reviewed the data, it certainly seems that way though.

Your claim is that men have fewer genes than women? That is false, they have more - they have the Y. Women inherit an X from each of their parents but only one set is expressed - the other is 'switched off' as with all other genes that come in pairs. The disadvantage for men is that if their only copy of a gene on X is faulty, they have to live with it (or die with it). They fly without a co-pilot, so to speak.

And in any event more isn't better, see Down's Syndrome.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    s. The kids merely have to survive long enough to reproduce sufficiently for genes that contribute to behavior to be passed on. Their quality of life is judged SOLELY on whether they live long enough to reproduce.
    And if they don't because they did not have the protection of their fathers (quite often, moms can only do so much), then they won't survive or thrive long enough to reproduce. I would expect the demographic for progeny who die before they get anywhere to skew towards the fatherless, and I'm not just about out in the wild. Out in the wild, suitors will kill other men's progeny or steal their food while getting with the mom.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    And if they don't because they did not have the protection of their fathers (quite often, moms can only do so much), then they won't survive or thrive long enough to reproduce. I would expect the demographic for progeny who die before they get anywhere to skew towards the fatherless, and I'm not just about out in the wild. Out in the wild, suitors will kill other men's progeny or steal their food while getting with the mom.
    We're not talking about the sort of environment in the United States where this happens. That's what I mean. In a harsh environment, YES, you're right. But not today, not in a modernized country. Things survive even if their lives suck. (As a mild example, note all the people that wear glasses. That's a negative trait. 1000 years ago, it might have been whittled down by inability to survive; nowadays, the technology level compensates, so we all suffer.)

That's where all of this theory breaks down and I think evolutionary biology is misunderstood and misapplied. If you survive long enough to reproduce, the trait survives even if it's not the best. There's lots of residual things left in the human body that isn't nearly the best design, but it's just sufficient enough for survival so it never disappears.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    eNFp
    Enneagram

I don't think so I can't tell you.
    My type is ENFP (if only I was an ENtP) then I could tell you!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    In general women have fewer opportunities and less encouragement. This is a well-substantiated and historical fact. Logically then, there are going to be fewer women that will excel in typically male fields until the balance is redressed.

As for there being more retarded men than women - I don't know I haven't reviewed the data, it certainly seems that way though.

Your claim is that men have fewer genes than women? That is false, they have more - they have the Y. Women inherit an X from each of their parents but only one set is expressed - the other is 'switched off' as with all other genes that come in pairs. The disadvantage for men is that if their only copy of a gene on X is faulty, they have to live with it (or die with it). They fly without a co-pilot, so to speak.

And in any event more isn't better, see Down's Syndrome.
    I'm aware of the "flying without a co-pilot" fact (I think the sex difference in incidence of colour-blindness is the most common and easy example to cite) and perhaps my wording of "more" was a little sloppy, but I fail to see how the very thing you're asserting isn't actually proving my point: women aren't gambling with as few chances as men are. The male's lack of an alternative option means he's playing with different odds. Women are far more likely to come out "safe" but men are far more likely to "go big or go home." If one assumes any correlation between genetics and intelligence (given how biological v. adopted children score relative to both sets of parents, it's likely there's a genetic component somewhere) they can also assume it will follow the same trend as stated above.

All that aside, it's illogical to assume that when you're adding multiple variables (differences in genetic material, differences in hormones which is brain chemistry, sexual characteristics, overall metabolism and everything else) the single differentiator is purely sociological.

I'm sure you've also learned that it's never just environment and it's never just genetics--there's always an interaction.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

NT women are somewhat more balanced.
    NT men tend to specialize more.
    This is what I believe to be true from personal experience.

On the note of fucking and running not being a good choice in the olden days, it actually was the preferred one.

Whore yourself out, get ~110 or so offsprings, more then half of which die due to the mother/the mothers family not being capable of sustaining them. You get ~50, out of which another 60% or so die out of disease, you get 30 theoretical offspring with no responsibility.

Get a mate for which a male cares for, get ~3-15(a shit ton of offspring was usual back in the olden days) offsprings, out of which none die out of starvation, but still ~40%(lower percentage because of a possibly healthier lifestyle) of them would still die due to disease. 2-9 survive.

Then, once you factor in other social catastrophes like mass famines, mass epidemics... ect. You might end up with a 0 altogether, which is far less likely if you were to whore yourself out, because your population would be far far wider spread. Not to mention the cases where a male would impregnate someones else female, and the other male would still end up taking care of the offspring.

From a numbers point of view, there really isn't any advantage for a male to not whore himself out.