• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Some times it is better to keep knowledge for yourself?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Since it is more and more obvious that my database about social things needs an upgrade I have one favour to ask.Some of the things are already posted.

What I am asking is that people read this and post how they think they would feel in each of the situations.

For me this happens all the time and usually is it is linked with my scientific knowledge.

Situation 1

For example if someone asks me "what's the time". I will take a look at the sky, raise my hand and measure the sky with my fingers and in the end I will say my conclusion in a few secounds.(no one in the group has a watch)
But when I turn to others everybody are staring at me with WTF on their faces and they don't believe in my calculation. But when they verify somewhere they are "shocked" even more because I work with +/- 10 minutes accuracy.
So they desire explanation how to hell did I do it because entire thing is a little bit creepy for them.
When I am done with explanation I get a friendly "You are so weird" or "Get a life freak" and I take it as a joke or compliment.
I did this 4 times.
Actually this skill is great for people who want to be independent.

SItuation 2

I am future geologist and imagine that I am explaining how some rocks are created to someone.Person simply want to know.

I say" That rocks are created in shallow sea of continental shelf of the north-east Africa some 230 million years ago".
But that is not so strange if you overlook the fact that they are on the mountain thousand meters above sea level and sea is nowhere near that mountain, And to make things even more drastic we are talking about area in the middle of the Europe.

At first the other person is thinking that this is a some weird INTJ joke. But if I persevere in my idea which is geological mainstream the others think you have totally lost it and respond with something like.
"First you enjoy in studing rocks and for second you claim something totally insane so if we take average of those two you are crazy."

If the other person actually desides to belive me there will suddenly be a very large hole in his/her picture of reality what is for sure, unpleasant feeling.

To be honest this is one of the main reasons why I love geology - because it is so much against common sense.

Should I keep more knowledge for myself?
I know that they give me a look but I am interested in what happen in their heads. If it is possible to determine that.
People can say how would they feel because this feelings are probably similar to theirs.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Should I keep more knowledge for myself?
. . . It depends.

If your entire goal at all times is to "be yourself" and measure the reactions of people towards your actions as some sort of continued experiment, then yes . . . continue as you are. If, however, you want to "fit in" at some point in order to make money, social network, or find a date . . . then I suggest you become more discriminant when deciding which "knowledge" to keep and which to dispense.

But within the greater picture, and with regard to knowledge that can be used for profit, remember this: Knowledge is power. Don't give away your power.

MBTI Type
INxJ
You know, some people would find his knowledge intriguing. I agree that he should keep certain things to himself for work, but friends/romantic partners are the few people everyone should theoretically be able to be themself around.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Situation 1

For example if someone asks me "what's the time". I will take a look at the sky, raise my hand and measure the sky with my fingers and in the end I will say my conclusion in a few secounds.(no one in the group has a watch)
But when I turn to others everybody are staring at me with WTF on their faces and they don't believe in my calculation. But when they verify somewhere they are "shocked" even more because I work with +/- 10 minutes accuracy.
So they desire explanation how to hell did I do it because entire thing is a little bit creepy for them.
When I am done with explanation I get a friendly "You are so weird" or "Get a life freak" and I take it as a joke or compliment.
I did this 4 times.
Actually this skill is great for people who want to be independent.
Ummm perhaps it takes certain type of people (mainly Ns) to appreciate it. I would love to hear you describe the process though. It sounds like a fun skill to learn.

I'd say if the skill is needed, use it. If people give you weird looks upon hearing your explanation, so what? Their loss for not appreciating it.

SItuation 2

I am future geologist and imagine that I am explaining how some rocks are created to someone.Person simply want to know.

I say" That rocks are created in shallow sea of continental shelf of the north-east Africa some 230 million years ago".
But that is not so strange if you overlook the fact that they are on the mountain thousand meters above sea level and sea is nowhere near that mountain, And to make things even more drastic we are talking about area in the middle of the Europe.

At first the other person is thinking that this is a some weird INTJ joke. But if I persevere in my idea which is geological mainstream the others think you have totally lost it and respond with something like.
"First you enjoy in studing rocks and for second you claim something totally insane so if we take average of those two you are crazy."
This one I'll keep to myself and only share with those who might be interested. Waste of breath trying to educate the uninterested.

People can say how would they feel because this feelings are probably similar to theirs.
I personally wouldn't mind hearing about interesting facts like this, but I'm a geeky science nerd.

Actually now that I think about it, it might be a great way of identifying potential like-minded individuals. Name some random fact and see how they respond.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
WHOA WHOA WHOA. How do you tell the time from looking at the sun? Are you posting from Papau New Guinea? That's the fucking coolest thing anyone has ever done, ever. Please share... Pretty please. (Anyone who says that you're weird is just jealous or trying to flirt, btw.) Now spill it.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
WHOA WHOA WHOA. How do you tell the time from looking at the sun? Are you posting from Papau New Guinea? That's the fucking coolest thing anyone has ever done, ever. Please share... Pretty please. (Anyone who says that you're weird is just jealous or trying to flirt, btw.) Now spill it.

Man, you LA city dwellers need to get outside more..

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
Most of the people are dumb and empty, and when they find someone intelligent, they try to ridiculize him because they realize how poor they are. It always have been that way. You can try to enlighten them, but they'll refuse to expand their horizons. So yes, I think it's better not to share knowledge, not with that people.

Oh and I also believe it's really cool knowing the hour from just looking at the sun. If you can explain how you do it, it would be great.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
From what I see this can be used as flirting to other INTs.What I also find intersesting are MBTI types of people who replyed.

It is not that people don't like it is just that it catches them of guard so they use sarcasm. What I am trying to see is that I have the right picture.
From what I know you can't have deep conversation with me without a part where I am playing with your picture of reality.

As fot the knoledge is power part most of people will not find my knoledge too useful in their lives. But if you know how to use it. It can be useful.
Like searching for gem stones and selling them for large amout of money.
But this is a skill that is very hard to master.

Since everybody want to know the trick with the sun who am I to reject.

First you need to place your fist in thumb up position then you need to stretch the smallest finger(I don't know its name)in a different direction then tumb.
In my case I get exactly 20 cm from the top of my thumb to the top of my smallest finger. My arm is about 60 cm long.

So every day sun comes up in the east and falls at the wast.
When it is coming up it moves more vertical and then it starts to create a circle and when it is sets it is vertical movement again.
The point is that you know where it come up and where it comes down and that you see the line of suns path across the sky.
Those 20 cm on 60 cm hand represent two hours. So if the sun is away from the pont of exit for 3 of my personal units that means that dawn was 6 hours ago. Since I am a freak who knows when the sun is coming up it is not a problem to calculate the time and sunset.Every day dawn is moving for about 90 seconds plus or minus depending on the time of the year.

Even if you don't know when it comes out you can know how much time has past and how much you have until sunset.
If your can't see the place where sun comes up or down that is not a problem since you can massure through the object.
if you have some experiance in this you will not need a hand anymore.

The complexity is growing as you want to be more precise but if you don't want something that is very precise this is a skill everybody can master in a few days. It is not a problem to be correct +/- 15 minutes.

This looks complicated but once you do this for a few time you will get it.

Moon is not too good for this but the entire thing can be done with stars and planets but that is a little bit more complex.
(but not much)

Why would someone want to know this skill?

This skill is excelent when you end up in a long meeting and you are too afraid to look at you watch because someone could take it as an insult and there will probably be some window to help you. (same works with school)

It can be great if no one in a group has watch. (that works)

Also it can save your life if you end up in the wildness.(shit happens)

You can also spend times with others outside and you can look far more
spontaneous that you actually are. Plus, other person has no way of telling what you are doing. For example if a P is really alergic to planning and that kind of stuff this can help you to stay in touch with your inner needs.
I do this in some cases.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
First you need to place your fist in thumb up position then you need to stretch the smallest finger(I don't know its name)in a different direction then tumb.
In my case I get exactly 20 cm from the top of my thumb to the top of my smallest finger. My arm is about 60 cm long.

Do you stretch your arm out? Does it matter if you have longer arms or bigger hands? I'm guessing the proportions stay the same.

Also, if you don't know when the Sun rose, is it safe to assume that at 12pm the Sun will be directly overhead? (That's something you can judge with shadows, too.)

This skill is excelent when you end up in a long meeting and you are too afraid to look at you watch because someone could take it as an insult and there will probably be some window to help you. (same works with school)

Funny visual. You're not looking at your watch, but you're staring at the Sun with your hand outstretching, making calculations...

Thanks for this. I'm gonna try it.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You sound like you have lots of interesting knowledge, AO. (I think a bit of language barrier issue is preventing me from understanding what is happening in your second example.) I think that people would be interested... Often times it's not what you say, it's how you say it. So maybe you'd get a more favorable response if you worked on your delivery?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Do you stretch your arm out? Does it matter if you have longer arms or bigger hands? I'm guessing the proportions stay the same.

Also, if you don't know when the Sun rose, is it safe to assume that at 12pm the Sun will be directly overhead? (That's something you can judge with shadows, too.)

Funny visual. You're not looking at your watch, but you're staring at the Sun with your hand outstretching, making calculations...

Thanks for this. I'm gonna try it.

Sorry if my explanation is not perfect I have typed that in 2.30AM.
Yes you need to stretch your arm to do this.
Sizes of arm and fingers are very important since it is not unimportant if your "tool" is 20 of 27 cm long and it is not the same if you have it 60 or 80 cm from your eye.

As for the sun over your head part that depends on where you live on the globe.

I have said you don't need hand if you are skilled in this. But for that you need a lot of practice.
If you live in a city all the time this skill is probably not to usefull. For me it is since I future geologist what means spending alot of time in the middle of nowhere.

You sound like you have lots of interesting knowledge, AO. (I think a bit of language barrier issue is preventing me from understanding what is happening in your second example.) I think that people would be interested... Often times it's not what you say, it's how you say it. So maybe you'd get a more favorable response if you worked on your delivery?

I agree with you in general.
But the point of that example in not understandabe on any language.
When I try to explain that on my language to people that speak my language they are confused just as you are. The problem is that there is simply too deep devide in knowledge. For example: I presume that you have never heard for Thethys Ocean. But without that there is no way that you can picture this scenario/story.

I think that language has almost nothing to do with unreasonability of that example.