User Tag List

123 Last

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Default INTJs and Careers

These questions are aimed at INTJs but anyone is welcome to comment.

So I was thinking about either the fields of graphic design or human resources.
    Currently I'm getting my associates of arts in general studies - and will be starting my BA around January 2010.

Any experience in either of those fields INTJs?
    What field are you in?
    Why that field?
    Do you enjoy it?
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post

Currently I'm getting my associates of arts in general studies - and will be starting my BA around January 2010.

What field are you in?
    Why that field?
    Do you enjoy it?
    You would THINK that an INTJ would be good at human resources, but the truth is, most of the human resources depts are dominated by older SJ women. So you know, not the best environment for young INTJ to thrive in.

Graphic design is an SP field. You can succeed as an INTJ of course, but be prepared to handle a lot of competition from people who are naturally more equipped to wield that skill than you are.

The best advice I can give you is: Ask yourself, what is your passion, then pursue it. DO NOT pursue an adjacent field that is related to your passion. Because for an INTJ, being "in the area" is not close enough.

The question of "how" to get there... well, a stranger cannot answer that for you. Chances are you'll have to figure that out on your own.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    You would THINK that an INTJ would be good at human resources, but the truth is, most of the human resources depts are dominated by older SJ women.
    Yeah, it's called human resources, probably not the best fit for an INTJ.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    That's not the issue. We're talking about human resources, not "non profit save the humanity" organization.

For example, I am INTJ, and I Myers Briggs. I find "reading" people thoroughly enjoyable, so on its face, I think I would make an effective HR person. However, as I mentioned in a previous post, that industry is not conducive to INTJ talents because of the types of people who often work in HR depts.

MBTI
    INTJ

You would THINK that an INTJ would be good at human resources, but the truth is, most of the human resources depts are dominated by older SJ women. So you know, not the best environment for young INTJ to thrive in.

Graphic design is an SP field. You can succeed as an INTJ of course, but be prepared to handle a lot of competition from people who are naturally more equipped to wield that skill than you are.

The best advice I can give you is: Ask yourself, what is your passion, then pursue it. DO NOT pursue an adjacent field that is related to your passion. Because for an INTJ, being "in the area" is not close enough.

The question of "how" to get there... well, a stranger cannot answer that for you. Chances are you'll have to figure that out on your own.
    Good advice, but then I have to question what field is dominated by INTJs.

I don't really enjoy science or math though...

I thought it would be a good field for Ni/Te combo. And I enjoy the psychology aspect.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

What field are you in?
    Why that field?
    Do you enjoy it?
    I'm only sorta in the field of graphic design so far, being in college still.

Why graphic design? Well it allows me to use artistic skills, be nitpicky, AND organize information in a logical sort of way. And yes, I do enjoy it.

MBTI
    INTJ

That's not the issue. We're talking about human resources, not "non profit save the humanity" organization.

For example, I am INTJ, and I Myers Briggs. I find "reading" people thoroughly enjoyable, so on its face, I think I would make an effective HR person. However, as I mentioned in a previous post, that industry is not conducive to INTJ talents because of the types of people who often work in HR depts.
    That was my thoughts as well.
    I enjoy reading people and think I'd do pretty good at it.
    Sucks that you say it's not an INTJ field though - what made you come to this conclusion? Do you have HR experience?

What's your field?
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    INTJ

That was my thoughts as well.
    I enjoy reading people and think I'd do pretty good at it.
    Sucks that you say it's not an INTJ field though - what made you come to this conclusion? Do you have HR experience?

What's your field?
    I am an attorney, but I've dealt with enough HR people to form an opinion.

Honestly, I don't know if there's ANY field that is dominated by INTJs due to a simple fact that INTJs only comprise 1% or 2% of the human population.

I don't know if you would want to have many INTJs in one office anyway. Too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak.

Theorizing which fields have high number of INTJs is not as important as what you want to do. I mean, I enjoy karaoke immensely and how many INTJs are into that?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Would having to deal with a lot of people at your job, often difficult people, be something you would like or wouldn't mind doing?

MBTI
    INTJ

Would having to deal with a lot of people at your job, often difficult people, be something you would like or wouldn't mind doing?
    That's a very vague question.

And I think the majority of careers do have difficult people in them.
    - Albert Einstein