• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs and Careers

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
These questions are aimed at INTJs but anyone is welcome to comment. :)

So I was thinking about either the fields of graphic design or human resources.
Currently I'm getting my associates of arts in general studies - and will be starting my BA around January 2010.

Any experience in either of those fields INTJs?
What field are you in?
Why that field?
Do you enjoy it?

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx

Currently I'm getting my associates of arts in general studies - and will be starting my BA around January 2010.

What field are you in?
Why that field?
Do you enjoy it?

You would THINK that an INTJ would be good at human resources, but the truth is, most of the human resources depts are dominated by older SJ women. So you know, not the best environment for young INTJ to thrive in.

Graphic design is an SP field. You can succeed as an INTJ of course, but be prepared to handle a lot of competition from people who are naturally more equipped to wield that skill than you are.

The best advice I can give you is: Ask yourself, what is your passion, then pursue it. DO NOT pursue an adjacent field that is related to your passion. Because for an INTJ, being "in the area" is not close enough.

The question of "how" to get there... well, a stranger cannot answer that for you. Chances are you'll have to figure that out on your own.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
You would THINK that an INTJ would be good at human resources, but the truth is, most of the human resources depts are dominated by older SJ women.

Yeah, it's called human resources, probably not the best fit for an INTJ.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx

That's not the issue. We're talking about human resources, not "non profit save the humanity" organization.

For example, I am INTJ, and I :heart: Myers Briggs. I find "reading" people thoroughly enjoyable, so on its face, I think I would make an effective HR person. However, as I mentioned in a previous post, that industry is not conducive to INTJ talents because of the types of people who often work in HR depts.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
You would THINK that an INTJ would be good at human resources, but the truth is, most of the human resources depts are dominated by older SJ women. So you know, not the best environment for young INTJ to thrive in.

Graphic design is an SP field. You can succeed as an INTJ of course, but be prepared to handle a lot of competition from people who are naturally more equipped to wield that skill than you are.

The best advice I can give you is: Ask yourself, what is your passion, then pursue it. DO NOT pursue an adjacent field that is related to your passion. Because for an INTJ, being "in the area" is not close enough.

The question of "how" to get there... well, a stranger cannot answer that for you. Chances are you'll have to figure that out on your own.

Good advice, but then I have to question what field is dominated by INTJs. :thinking:

I don't really enjoy science or math though...

I thought it would be a good field for Ni/Te combo. And I enjoy the psychology aspect.

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

What field are you in?
Why that field?
Do you enjoy it?

I'm only sorta in the field of graphic design so far, being in college still.

Why graphic design? Well it allows me to use artistic skills, be nitpicky, AND organize information in a logical sort of way. And yes, I do enjoy it.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
That's not the issue. We're talking about human resources, not "non profit save the humanity" organization.

For example, I am INTJ, and I :heart: Myers Briggs. I find "reading" people thoroughly enjoyable, so on its face, I think I would make an effective HR person. However, as I mentioned in a previous post, that industry is not conducive to INTJ talents because of the types of people who often work in HR depts.

That was my thoughts as well.
I enjoy reading people and think I'd do pretty good at it.
Sucks that you say it's not an INTJ field though - what made you come to this conclusion? Do you have HR experience?

What's your field?

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
That was my thoughts as well.
I enjoy reading people and think I'd do pretty good at it.
Sucks that you say it's not an INTJ field though - what made you come to this conclusion? Do you have HR experience?

What's your field?

I am an attorney, but I've dealt with enough HR people to form an opinion.

Honestly, I don't know if there's ANY field that is dominated by INTJs due to a simple fact that INTJs only comprise 1% or 2% of the human population.

I don't know if you would want to have many INTJs in one office anyway. Too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak.

Theorizing which fields have high number of INTJs is not as important as what you want to do. I mean, I enjoy karaoke immensely and how many INTJs are into that?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

Would having to deal with a lot of people at your job, often difficult people, be something you would like or wouldn't mind doing?

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Would having to deal with a lot of people at your job, often difficult people, be something you would like or wouldn't mind doing?

That's a very vague question.

And I think the majority of careers do have difficult people in them.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx

Depends. Do I have leverage against those people? If so, it's a lot of fun. If not, it's horrible.

There is nothing worse for an INTJ than to be forced to put up with shit and lack the ability to do anything about it.

[Edit: Looks like the question wasn't directed at me, but I'll let the answer stand because it's relevant to the discussion]

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj
I find graphic design to be more of a trendy and shallow form of artistic expression. You have to conform to client needs even if you know it sucks....like painting with handcuffs on. Ever considered film school? Direction would be a perfect fit for an intj interested in the arts.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I find graphic design to be more of a trendy and shallow form of artistic expression. You have to conform to client needs even if you know it sucks....like painting with handcuffs on. Ever considered film school? Direction would be a perfect fit for an intj interested in the arts.

I've considered advertising design, that section more so - but you're right it's still client-based and that can be annoying sometimes (I've had a little real world experience in graphic design).

I've never really thought about directing - maybe because I just couldn't see myself in a 'head' role, that would make me uncomfortable I'd rather be in the background.

Also directing isn't exactly a stable career, take for instance George Lucas, completely shitted it up at first and almost quit the career - I wouldn't like not having a stable income.

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj
I wouldn't like not having a stable income.

Then by all means DO NOT go into the arts.....you have to live it to produce it. Might be the most rewarding thing man can do... you might also find yourself sleeping under a bridge. Its as unstable as the universe....

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I don't really enjoy science or math though...

I thought it would be a good field for Ni/Te combo. And I enjoy the psychology aspect.[/QUOTE]

what do you enjoy doing? the sciences should be quite popular with INTJ's, it's difficult, practical theory after all. what are you into?

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
what do you enjoy doing? the sciences should be quite popular with INTJ's, it's difficult, practical theory after all. what are you into?

I think that's just a stereotype that INTJs enjoy science and math.

I'm good at science and math but I just don't enjoy them.

I enjoy science somewhat but any science field you get into math is involved - and I don't really enjoy math. I would rather a job that I can enjoy...

I don't know exactly what I am into that's the annoying part.

I guess psychology and philosophy - I usually enjoy that.

But I am really not sure what I enjoy... I guess that's the issue - that's why I was asking about human resources and graphic design, because those were things I've narrowed down as "possible" choices.

Knitecrow

MBTI Type
INTJ
My perspective is that an INTJ needs three basic requirement in a satisfying career:
Intellectual/analysis
Creative expression
Freedom to implement ideas

Having one alone will not be enough, 2 maybe, 3 of the above will be ideal. One may favor one over the other.

Good fit for INTJs:
- Physical Sciences
- Engineering
- Accounting
- Law

My first degree is in Physics but I found academia to be intellectually simulating but ultimately too restrictive.

Something I would have never considered when I was in high-school was Accounting. I got my business degree in accounting with a minor in law. Law is another area I find satisfying but would have never considered.

I find being a tax consultant to be extremely satisfying and I am going to become a tax lawyer.

The problem is you are young and have no idea about what you like and don't like. You are guessing about things you *may* like. Reality is often quite different from preconceived notions. Sometimes you need go out try things to learn. Keep your options open.

HR is probably the worst business area for an INTJ. Plan out your future, make sure you invest time and energy into a degree you can fall back on. IMO BA or B.COMM in anything other than Accounting or Finance is a waste of time and money. To a larger degree I would call a Bsc in pure science to be a waste unless you build on it.

You should also consider something like Industrial Engineering that is more design focused.

MBTI Type
INTJ

I'm an INTJ who went to film school, and the reality of the film business makes me long for the relative creative freedom of commercial graphic design. Ironically, considering your post, I am considering leaving the film business and becoming a graphic designer. I think INTJs in the arts have a rough road ahead in general. I think the best path might be to excel in the practical side and then use your clout to transition to the creative side.

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj
I'm an INTJ who went to film school, and the reality of the film business makes me long for the relative creative freedom of commercial graphic design. Ironically, considering your post, I am considering leaving the film business and becoming a graphic designer. I think INTJs in the arts have a rough road ahead in general. I think the best path might be to excel in the practical side and then use your clout to transition to the creative side.

The major misconception in the arts is that it is somehow "easy". I may be the rare INTJ exception as I taught myself to expect the worst. Literally used Van Gough as my role model...defied my own sensibilities that crave structure and control. Once you "get on top of" your work and are able to dictate your medium...it gets interesting. Doesnt come for free...as most intj's think it is their entitlement. You cant manipulate the universal unconscious...you have to accept it is bigger than you. Wont happen until your mid-thirties at best.:jew: I think most intj artwork is terrible with the exception of Kubrick.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd say any job that can benefit from your nack for efficiency. I know three INTJ's and one's a vet, the other a computer programmer and the third is assistent manager at a payroll company. All of them are good at their jobs and enjoy it as their efficiency comes in handy and they get to solve practical problems.