User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Would having to deal with a lot of people at your job, often difficult people, be something you would like or wouldn't mind doing?
    Depends. Do I have leverage against those people? If so, it's a lot of fun. If not, it's horrible.

There is nothing worse for an INTJ than to be forced to put up with shit and lack the ability to do anything about it.

[Edit: Looks like the question wasn't directed at me, but I'll let the answer stand because it's relevant to the discussion]

MBTI
    intj

I find graphic design to be more of a trendy and shallow form of artistic expression. You have to conform to client needs even if you know it sucks....like painting with handcuffs on. Ever considered film school? Direction would be a perfect fit for an intj interested in the arts.
    "A species of perfection and fantasy"......

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOp View Post
    I find graphic design to be more of a trendy and shallow form of artistic expression. You have to conform to client needs even if you know it sucks....like painting with handcuffs on. Ever considered film school? Direction would be a perfect fit for an intj interested in the arts.
    I've considered advertising design, that section more so - but you're right it's still client-based and that can be annoying sometimes (I've had a little real world experience in graphic design).

I've never really thought about directing - maybe because I just couldn't see myself in a 'head' role, that would make me uncomfortable I'd rather be in the background.

Also directing isn't exactly a stable career, take for instance George Lucas, completely shitted it up at first and almost quit the career - I wouldn't like not having a stable income.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    intj

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post
    I wouldn't like not having a stable income.
    Then by all means DO NOT go into the arts.....you have to live it to produce it. Might be the most rewarding thing man can do... you might also find yourself sleeping under a bridge. Its as unstable as the universe....

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

I don't really enjoy science or math though...

I thought it would be a good field for Ni/Te combo. And I enjoy the psychology aspect.[/QUOTE]

what do you enjoy doing? the sciences should be quite popular with INTJ's, it's difficult, practical theory after all. what are you into?

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    what do you enjoy doing? the sciences should be quite popular with INTJ's, it's difficult, practical theory after all. what are you into?
    I think that's just a stereotype that INTJs enjoy science and math.

I'm good at science and math but I just don't enjoy them.

I enjoy science somewhat but any science field you get into math is involved - and I don't really enjoy math. I would rather a job that I can enjoy...

I don't know exactly what I am into that's the annoying part.

I guess psychology and philosophy - I usually enjoy that.

But I am really not sure what I enjoy... I guess that's the issue - that's why I was asking about human resources and graphic design, because those were things I've narrowed down as "possible" choices.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    INTJ

My perspective is that an INTJ needs three basic requirement in a satisfying career:
    Intellectual/analysis
    Creative expression
    Freedom to implement ideas

Having one alone will not be enough, 2 maybe, 3 of the above will be ideal. One may favor one over the other.

Good fit for INTJs:
    - Physical Sciences
    - Engineering
    - Accounting
    - Law

My first degree is in Physics but I found academia to be intellectually simulating but ultimately too restrictive.

Something I would have never considered when I was in high-school was Accounting. I got my business degree in accounting with a minor in law. Law is another area I find satisfying but would have never considered.

I find being a tax consultant to be extremely satisfying and I am going to become a tax lawyer.

The problem is you are young and have no idea about what you like and don't like. You are guessing about things you *may* like. Reality is often quite different from preconceived notions. Sometimes you need go out try things to learn. Keep your options open.

HR is probably the worst business area for an INTJ. Plan out your future, make sure you invest time and energy into a degree you can fall back on. IMO BA or B.COMM in anything other than Accounting or Finance is a waste of time and money. To a larger degree I would call a Bsc in pure science to be a waste unless you build on it.

You should also consider something like Industrial Engineering that is more design focused.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOp View Post
    I'm an INTJ who went to film school, and the reality of the film business makes me long for the relative creative freedom of commercial graphic design. Ironically, considering your post, I am considering leaving the film business and becoming a graphic designer. I think INTJs in the arts have a rough road ahead in general. I think the best path might be to excel in the practical side and then use your clout to transition to the creative side.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    intj

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I'm an INTJ who went to film school, and the reality of the film business makes me long for the relative creative freedom of commercial graphic design. Ironically, considering your post, I am considering leaving the film business and becoming a graphic designer. I think INTJs in the arts have a rough road ahead in general. I think the best path might be to excel in the practical side and then use your clout to transition to the creative side.
    The major misconception in the arts is that it is somehow "easy". I may be the rare INTJ exception as I taught myself to expect the worst. Literally used Van Gough as my role model...defied my own sensibilities that crave structure and control. Once you "get on top of" your work and are able to dictate your medium...it gets interesting. Doesnt come for free...as most intj's think it is their entitlement. You cant manipulate the universal unconscious...you have to accept it is bigger than you. Wont happen until your mid-thirties at best. I think most intj artwork is terrible with the exception of Kubrick.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I'd say any job that can benefit from your nack for efficiency. I know three INTJ's and one's a vet, the other a computer programmer and the third is assistent manager at a payroll company. All of them are good at their jobs and enjoy it as their efficiency comes in handy and they get to solve practical problems.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”