• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Ever Felt Like a Feeler?

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeahh I don't know if I can relate. I might be a little reclusive and initially shy, but I'm not gonna lie I'm a sucker for a cute girl. Especially one that takes the initiative so I don't have to, sometimes I wonder if that is what I find attractive. Oh and plots, yeah for some reason their not very memorable to me :D

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
@YourLocalJesus
ha, and i just had my 18th yesterday.
:

I got some mad skills, bro ;) Nah, but that might be where all but the most unbalanced thinkers starts to experience emotions.

ENTJ Extraordinaire

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
9w1
*le sigh* we all want a little bit of that human emotion, and attention!

and remember, just coz we are a certain profile, doesn't mean that is all we can ever be!

its only your 'preferred' way of dealing with a situation. it makes sense that occassionally you will go through periods of time where you are very different to what your profile states

for example.

E's out there, we gain strength from people, but that doesn't mean we want to be around people all the time.

for an ENTJ i have a particularly weak E, but at the same time, i love being around people i love, yet, at the same time, i quite often fluctuate to an I and i have to get away from people, it all just depends on your mood at the time, what is going on in your life

and perhaps your heart just wants some affection. you read those things in a romance novel, and can't help but long for it, coz it is something you perhaps feel neglected in receiving for the most part until now?

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fs can repress emotion as much as Ts do though - i.e. not type specific (in fact Fs are more likely to repress "inappropriate" emotions).

One represses because one feels too much, not too little.

true esp the 2nd bit

My first internal response was sort of snarky: "I dunno -- have you ever thought like a Thinker?" lol...!

:doh: :D

The main idea that leaps out to me is, how would you know what a Feeler feels like if you are a Thinker? You might THINK you can guess... but you'll never know. It's just like a man asking himself if he's ever felt like a woman feels, and vice versa; there's no way to confirm anything.

(Of course, there she goes... saying all this intellectually. Obviously my intellect still drive things. But at least it is letting lots of other things pop up to experience now.)

Yes, this too.
I think this is the personal values vs. objective values thing tho'. Which isn't really about emotion, although there may be emotional content.

I often don't know how I Feel about something, until I do, at which point it can be overwhelming. I especially can't project how I will Feel about something. This is a problem when making decisions. It also means I can't prepare myself for bad eventualities very well.

Ti leads, but then putting it down in so many words and comparing it with what those who instantly sense and feel say/write about it, can show the difference of the depth to which it is felt and/or the effect it has the ability to have.

So bluemonday's point about Fe being overwhelming is very true. Still though there exists the dichotomy of having the ability of being steely-nerved during crises and yet, as bluemonday pointed out, theres the reality of not being able to prepare oneself to deal with crises or their aftermath (exhaustive analysis for the sake of objectivity & certainty/lack of doubt)

blanclait

MBTI Type
ENTP
I got some mad skills, bro ;) Nah, but that might be where all but the most unbalanced thinkers starts to experience emotions.

ha, you may be onto something there.

It's been another week, of course i'm back to my comfortable Ti zone, but my Fe is no longer sitting in the back row.

Do you guys think emotional strength has any relation with the "F"?
or is it mostly the "T"?

@Aimahn
Do you too have this ridiculous crazy idea, that you want your life to be a piece of art in terms of climax, originality, etc. And go out with a boom at relatively young age? :D

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
This is relatively strange for me, as my Ti has always been overly dominant. and i rarely feel any sympathy deeply even for my friends (except really really close ones) or empathy towards almost anyone.
My Ti for the longest time has rejected the notion of dating and marriage as uncessary for survival, rather luxury. Simply put not a fan of sex and the fact people use relationship to excuse themself from their true goals, etc etc.

Strangely enough though, i love romance novels, as the plot itself contains element of beauty. Fate, tragedy, etc etc nothing cliche though.

So one day like every once in awhile i finished a romance novel. normally the ":wubbie:" would disapear in one day or two. But this time it has stuck around for like a week. There is this empty sensation inside me, wanting to experience beauties of emotion, relationship, etc. suddenly expecting stuff from like birthday, etc. Now i actually feel frustration, hatred, happiness, etc. And it shows out unconsciously and supposively very noticeable according to my friends. Before i used to just decide, "Right, i'm going to display hatred" and so forth most the times. Now i'm not even analyzing most the times.

so my question to any NT's out there, have you ever felt this way? other temperaments are welcome to answer as well.

What ? You started to have human feelings and urges ? : \

I don't get this, so INTPs are not supposed to feel ?
All of this seems alien to me.

I think you most probably convinced yourself you're not a fan of sex because you cannot get laid.

My 2 cents.

blanclait

MBTI Type
ENTP
What ? You started to have human feelings and urges ? : \

Well i always had feelings and urges. At that time, my Feelings were dominating over my logic.. which is really rare.. I'm usually relatively calm.

I think you most probably convinced yourself you're not a fan of sex because you cannot get laid.

Never had interested in sex since i was young. I was quite the party animal back in gr11. Despite those drinking nights and many relatively close friends -> opportunities, was never interested. Also there was this girl i liked at that time, but i had no sexual fantasies or thoughts about her, rather just thinking about romance.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I think any stressed NTwould go NiTi Fi. Using these three functions in no particular order,

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Didn't read the thread but is Ti really related to not really experiencing sympathy/empathy/emotions much? That seems sort of odd. Is it a byproduct of Ti? Is it enneagram related? (Aren't most Ti types enneagram 5s?) I always thought that stuff was universal and not really type related.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Ti is more like a constant filter on you perceptions. Like a logical bullshit detector. There is always a need to refer to it sort of like a comfort mechanism when dealing with things, In dominant Ti types it is the most comfortable function, therefore usually the most relied upon. The same could be said of all other dominant functions. To really mature and become more balanced you learn to suppress the need to refer to it or at least weigh its importance in accordance to the situation.

Sympathy is more in the grounds of Fe and it is not something that is usually valued too much by Ti dominants because it strives for harmony too much, even in direct opposition to logical reasoning. Ti is more empathetic and strives more for logical consistency. it is easier to be empathetic because it involves seeing things from another perspective and logically analyzing your thought process from that perspective.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ti is more like a constant filter on you perceptions. Like a logical bullshit detector. There is always a need to refer to it sort of like a comfort mechanism when dealing with things, In dominant Ti types it is the most comfortable function therefore usually the most relied upon. The same could be said of all other dominant functions. To really mature and become more balanced you learn to suppress the need to refer to it or at least weigh its importance in accordance to the situation.

Sympathy is more in the grounds of Fe and it is not something that is usually valued too much by Ti dominants because it strives for harmony too much, even in direct opposition logical reasoning. Ti is more empathetic and strives more for logical consistency therefore it is easier to be empathetic because it involves seeing things from another perception and logically analyzing your thought process from that perspective.

Ohhhh I see. Thanks.

Emotions are still universal though right? Heh yes of course they are I don't even know why I'm asking.

I can relate to the second half of this. I've never been able to express it like that.

I know! That's one of the reasons NTs are so awesome. They're so good at putting things into words...and not just that, they get the exact right shade of meaning too.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
So... "Ever felt like a Feeler?"

Well, quite often in fact. I even thought I was one until some friends noticed some curious anomalies. Cognitive tests seem to show I would have a very high Fe, but this is a normal behavior for adult ENTPs.

Ne-dom types usually don't mind showing their emotions, even in public. We just follow our inspiration, ours whims, and since they vary, and vary, and shift all the time, our behavior follows, thus inducing a wide palette of expressions. Since Ne-dom types always see possibilities everywhere, let's say they often make pretty good actors (but acting is quite different than the mimicking trick often used by INTPs).

Being NT or NF doesn't mean one side is more emotional in appearance than the other. It's just a difference based on our decision-making process.

---

Ti and Fe are often considered as opposite functions, but in fact, when you look closely, you can see they have a lot in common, depending on the way you use those functions.
Both functions are in fact quite impersonal. Ti is a pure analytical tool, while Fe is a global attitude, a good disposition you have when you meet new people, so they are not that much exclusive. I find urban crowds fascinating, exhilarating: that's my Fe working.

And I see my Fe as a way to refine a raw Ti that might be too brutal if used improperly.
I'd say a high Fe is also very useful to manipulate or tease people the right way, but I don't want to frighten anybody. :devil:

On the other hand, I would say that the true opposites (at least for me) are Ti and Fi, or Te and Fe. Here the conflict is inevitable, since both functions occur at the same level. For instance, I'd say I can't be entirely skeptical (->Ti) and moral (->Fi) at the same time. When I have to take a decision, I have to choose.