User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Ayrab View Post
    I am honestly Effing Confused. I never though of T vs. F as one having emotions while the other is a robot.

WTF, is that even possible to just repress emotions like rage, love, aggrevation, etc?

Does this make the person a robot?

The way I always pictured F vs. T was:

F = Subjective approach
    T = Objective approach

So is it confirmed that most immature T's would not feel emotions as the rest of the population?
    We don't repress them. That is something many F types don't get....they assume we must be repressing emotions. We just do not feel them to the degree that others do.
    I dare say that even a mature T does not feel emotion like an F.
    But we do have them.
    And when we have them...we need to make heads and tails of them. So in addition to not feeling to the same degree...there is also the issue of how we cope with them...notice my use of words...because T's often are very uncomfortable with feelings while F's seem to ...love them...as I was saying...we have to cope with them or handle them, as well as figure out how they should be expressed. Yelling "I love you" off the roof top probably isn't going to happen.
    My T guy( who has more F than I...a lot more) and I stood on a roof top..and argued about if a bird was a goose or a duck...that was sort of like saying "I love you" for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    This is a great strategy.

Color as an ideal rhythm. A personalized language that explores emotions not spontaneously available within the dialect of our everyday discourse.

Almost like singing in the shower. What matters isn't adherence to precise lyrics, but instead an examination of individuality - as an artistic technique.
    Night, if you keep up that sort of beatific banter, you're gonna get laid by a starry-eyed NF without intending to...
    or is it unintentional.

/ponder
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENFP

Just to get a clearer picture, I am a bit confused, so sorry if this is annoying.

Let us say that both my brother and I are sensitive to a certain slur of sorts. He is a T and I am an F, and we both really sit on the other sides of the spectrum. If some one was to say the word to me, do you think I would be more enraged, than he would.

Personally, I would believe that both of us would be equally enraged by our reaction, but I could never tell you who felt that actual emotion more. The latter part would actually be impossible to quantify.

Hmmm.... Odd, I always thought that T and F had nothing to do with emotions, just stupid wording, but then again I could be wrong.

MBTI
    INXP

NTs usually strike me as having greater depth of passion. That suppressed Beautiful Mind idea at lower levels.

I don't know where it comes from. It doesn't seem to be maturity related.

Then some just seem dead to beauty and creativity...
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

WTF, is that even possible to just repress emotions like rage, love, aggrevation, etc?
    Yes. See Migraine, Asthma, etc.

Fs can repress emotion as much as Ts do though - i.e. not type specific (in fact Fs are more likely to repress "inappropriate" emotions).

One represses because one feels too much, not too little.

The way I always pictured F vs. T was:

F = Subjective approach
    T = Objective approach
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboom View Post
    We don't repress them. That is something many F types don't get....they assume we must be repressing emotions. We just do not feel them to the degree that others do.
    I dare say that even a mature T does not feel emotion like an F.
    But we do have them.
    Untrue.

And when we have them...we need to make heads and tails of them. ...there is also the issue of how we cope with them...notice my use of words...because T's often are very uncomfortable with feelings while F's seem to ...love them...as I was saying...we have to cope with them or handle them, as well as figure out how they should be expressed.
    TRUE.

I used to think that no-one felt things as deeply as I did. The perceived superficiality/fickleness of other people disgusted me.
    I only feel my own feelings, not other peoples' (=empathy).

Just because we don't vomit emotion everywhere (out of consideration and decorum) doesn't mean we don't feel stuff.
    I can have powerful but private reactions to emotive material, if it is handled in a subtle and original way.
    But I don't need someone else's art to open me up.
    Melodrama/sentimentality = horrifying.

Yelling "I love you" off the roof top probably isn't going to happen.
    =E vs I not T vs F?

In any event, not a valid measurement of depth of feeling.

MBTI
    ENTP

bluemonday, I completely agree with everything you wrote.

The difference between me a T and my F friends is that their first response is to feel, rather than consider or analyze. Also, their decisions tended to be based on their feelings or how other people do or will feel. I would forget to include feelings in my analysis.

I'm a T and I have strong emotions but I think of them as very intense at the bottom of a very deep well. You have to go a long, long way down to reach them and chances are you will stop one way or another before your get there.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by blanclait View Post
    ...so my question to any NT's out there, have you ever felt this way? other temperaments are welcome to answer as well.
    My first internal response was sort of snarky: "I dunno -- have you ever thought like a Thinker?" lol...!

The main idea that leaps out to me is, how would you know what a Feeler feels like if you are a Thinker? You might THINK you can guess... but you'll never know. It's just like a man asking himself if he's ever felt like a woman feels, and vice versa; there's no way to confirm anything.

All that being said, the older I get, the more I allow myself to have responses all across the board rather than just constantly feeling uncomfortable and having to channel myself back into the functions I was most comfortable with growing up. It's okay to feel, and sense, and think, and intuit, whenever it happens. I am much more "go with the moment" than I ever used to be, and I don't immediately try to clamp everything down with rigorous intellectualism.

If I really want to understand life and what it means to be human, I need to be open to a variety of experience and stimulation. Plus it's also just part of being alive.

(Of course, there she goes... saying all this intellectually. Obviously my intellect still drive things. But at least it is letting lots of other things pop up to experience now.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
    The difference between me a T and my F friends is that their first response is to feel, rather than consider or analyze. Also, their decisions tended to be based on their feelings or how other people do or will feel. I would forget to include feelings in my analysis.

I'm a T and I have strong emotions but I think of them as very intense at the bottom of a very deep well. You have to go a long, long way down to reach them and chances are you will stop one way or another before your get there.
    Yes, this too.
    I think this is the personal values vs. objective values thing tho'. Which isn't really about emotion, although there may be emotional content.

I often don't know how I Feel about something, until I do, at which point it can be overwhelming. I especially can't project how I will Feel about something. This is a problem when making decisions. It also means I can't prepare myself for bad eventualities very well.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The main idea that leaps out to me is, how would you know what a Feeler feels like if you are a Thinker? You might THINK you can guess... but you'll never know. It's just like a man asking himself if he's ever felt like a woman feels, and vice versa; there's no way to confirm anything.
    I'm not sure I've ever felt like a woman feels

But how can we know if any of our experience is mirrored by others?
    Don't we have to assume that some human experience is shared/common?
    And can't we identify with what others say/write/otherwise express about how they feel? Or are you saying that raw emotion transcends anything that can be communicated?

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Firelie View Post
    Lovely.
    And wrong.
    What about those who've no interest in the shared elegance, but in the elegance of their temperament?
    What about those who push themselves to the outer limits of their temperament, which, in so doing would enhance their ability to proliferate, the very variance, among other things, enjoyed by those balanced individuals?

I posit that a mature individual would know his place and further himself.
    we fukin won boys