User Tag List

First 456

Enneagram
    9w8

The basic manner I do it in is thus:

I have a good memory - I will remember key things close friends/family like, and what they do and don't have in terms of items or experiences related to it. I look around a little bit, and it usually hits me in time to actually get it.

As an example, last year I bought my S.O. Frostmourne. It is a very large, beautifully crafted, geeky sword, and only one company makes the replicas. I like giving people surprising gifts, so it's actually fun for me.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I always donate liquor for birthdays. So when my sister got 9 years old and I bought her that super expensive Scotch, everyone looked at me shaking their heads in disgust, but not being angry. Cause once you built that image, its impossible to be ruined
    Tape?

Not sure my sister would thank me for buying her youngest son a bottle of whiskey... he's bad enough with just e numbers!!

Oh and I should mention I've got the full gamut of problems. I've got a train spotting ENTJ who's bought everything he wants, an ENFJ sister who's bought ALL the DVDs in existence that she likes, ENFP friends who can be quite specific and an ESTP wife who seemingly still likes the box more
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENTP

To me, it seems a lot of people have trouble with this. Even my very Feeling mother asked me once "I'm sorry, this is really impersonal, but I thought you would like money to spend on books/art materials/cooking materials..."
    I was totally "Are you kidding, this is the best present EVER!"
    Nephews? Nieces? Why don't you ask their parents, or even themselves?
    I once gave my nephew a "Lightning mc Queen" model car and he was over the moon. I even didn't buy the car myself! My sis bought this and I paid...
    So... don't be afraid to ask. I think that's the only advice I can give.

Of course, some people are offended by asking, like "you aren't interested in me, you even don't know what I like"... but they have to cope with it, otherwise they won't get anything from me. I'm quite sure children like to be asked and won't make such mental twists...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I used to always struggle with this. Luckily I got a job at a gourmet food store... and everyone likes food soooo... well thats not entirely true i dont really know at all.

MBTI
    ENTP

I ask what they want.
    I know, some people take offence at this (if you were interested in me, you should know! you've hurt my feelings!) - but they have to learn (*)or they won't get presents at all.
    (*) You can turn the argument around. If you were interested in ME, you would know I forget such things even if I consider you my friend.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENTp

The last time I searched a present fpor my fathers birthday. I tried a method, creatives use often: I draw a mind-map.

After some minutes I had gathered so much information about my father, which wasn't conscious in my mind, and I found three options. After talking with others I had concrete imaginations about the ranking of the options and so I choosed to buy an audio-book.

In the store I used one hour to choose the "right" one, after convincing myself, that my decision needn't be perfect.

Well, the next time I will try the same!
    ** Upgrading my english **
    Corrections for my language are willingly seen

Enneagram: 7w6