User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Haha, you're three quarters of your way to all functions, you have there, respectively, S, F and T... all you need now is the N to instantly hit on the perfect solution
    That was S, F, T and J.
    Actually, some pet lovers can be really attached to their pets, to levels that I sometimes have to struggle not to find unhinged. I saw someone get a gift once that was basically a portrait of her dog in a gilt frame... I was like but she was like it's so beautiful!!! oh they've caught the naughty, cheeky light in his eyes just perfectly! oh thank you thank you it's the loveliest gift I ever got! And I'm like *mental note*
    Yeah. My friend is completely crazy about her hamsters. Crap. Her birthday is coming up. Luckily she has other obsessions. I don't understand people whose lives revolve around their pets.

MBTI
    ENTP

So basically Xander, what I've been saying is that my approach is to figure that it's all about them, what they want, what they like, and getting that. It doesn't matter what I like, if they like lame stuff (and lots of people do) then get them something lame

If they're somewhat more demanding - the sorts of people who never wear anything that doesn't have a designer label on it - try the 'shopping trip' gift for a woman: basically it means all you do is go with her somewhere and walk around whilst she shops and tries shit on and you just carry her bags and buy her lunch at half-time and put up with it all and tell her she looks great in everything, making much use of the phrase "it's how you feel that counts" (). Maybe kick it off with a gift voucher for her favourite store (easy to find out). If it's a guy, go the executive toy route. Anything you can afford that's either practical or thoughtful, he'll either already have one better or just not be impressed - this is where 'something unusual' or 'something funny' can come into play, like the sorts of things you can get from this site.

Now, if it's a female (or gay male) ESFP, I can confidently say that a chocolate dick is completely foolproof

edit - the shopping trip trick was once responsible for my winning a lady's heart unintentionally... back a few years ago when I was pretty hard up for cash, I said to her, well I can't afford to BUY you anything as great as you deserve, but I wanna take you out and show you a bit of the good life. So I took her to London and we went around Harrods, Harvey Nic's etc, and she tried on all the top designer stuff and I just sat outside the changing room with a decent digital camera borrowed from a friend, she came out the changing rooms and posed and I snapped... it was really funny actually, we were dying of laughter through most of it, giving BS stories to the shop staff about a 'fashion research project' and blagging all sorts of freebies and stuff, I even talked them into giving her a free makeover. Nobody was more shocked than me when she grabbed me and planted a big smacker on my lips later on... She said it was the most romantic thing anyone had ever done for her, and I just laughed... I thought I was just being cheap
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ

Well, that settles it.
    Good gift giving takes time and thought.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

I conjure up the "essence" of their personality in my head...

And then I look around until I see something that matches it.

Not very efficient.
    ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE EATIN' GUMBO

MBTI
    INTx

Force them to make a list
    You what?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Ayeee carumba!! Subs... you know that comment about talking for Britain?

Insightful stuff... I guess the problem I hit in that process is when someone does like stuff that I don't because of the INTP curse of not paying attention to anything that doesn't interest me, I fear getting it wrong. I'd do daft stuff like buy a Manchester City fan a Manchester United shirt. Unless you watch the darned stuff it really doesn't make sense that they're now steaming mad and I don't watch it.

Perhaps I need to make a few mistakes and gain a little confidence and a bit more "oh nuts to it" kind of approach.

I tell you what though... the worst one to buy for is my ENFJ friend. We both love computer games but I can't buy him one because if it's been released and he likes the look of it, he's got it and if he hasn't got it then chances are he doesn't want it. Talk about bloomin awkward. Oh and he's like this with ALL of his interests.

Thankfully we have an arrangement, it's those who have no arrangement and yet seem to like dumb stuff which cause me problems. That and the whole huge task thing.

Who invented this christmas malarkey anyhow? It's a dumb idea!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENTP

well you asked for ideas - is it MY fault I have a lot of them?? Geez, would you rather I said "well, I've got a dozen great ideas and lots of experience, but so as not to talk too much I'll just tell you one of them and keep the rest to myself"? Hmmm??

I'll get my coat.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

well you asked for ideas - is it MY fault I have a lot of them?? Geez, would you rather I said "well, I've got a dozen great ideas and lots of experience, but so as not to talk too much I'll just tell you one of them and keep the rest to myself"? Hmmm??

I'll get my coat.
    Oh now hang on a minute. No one said anything about you and pulling.. put the coat down and get the next round..

Btw, no one ever said that saying a lot was a bad thing. Building the tallest building will garner comments like "by God that's a tall building"... it's an entire other matter, and psychosis, to turn this into "that building is too tall".

Flood the pages with your ideas if you wish.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ

Laughing out loud.

MBTI
    ENTP

lol sorry Xander but it's true that I do talk too much, I have to go to a lot of effort to get the kind of discipline it takes to STFU when I ought to (or even notice WHEN I ought to!). I haven't had much chance to meditate and stuff lately so the discipline's been slipping and I have been falling back into bad old habits. And in my life, I've been told I talk too much far more often than I've been thanked for my ideas, so... naturally I would associate 'tall' with 'too tall' as it were