• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP and Introverted Intuition (Ni)

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Thanks, that is along the same lines I was thinking, I understand the show your work issue with Ni. I do question why you value Ti over Ni though, sounds to me that you have made a decision to use Ti instead of Ni or is it that you double check your Ni with Ti to see if the conclusion is sound?

I don't really place value on either function.

Doing so damages their use.

Ideally, I'd like an organic fusion where their division is invisible to me.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Ti is a thumbprint. Ni is a chalk outline.

What are we doing, investigating a murder?

Trusting Ti blindly is just as bad as trusting Ni blindly... it's just that you look slightly less crazy while doing so.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Ti...to me feels like it often unselfreflectively takes itself as the standard, also within debates, within whole frameworks and disciplines. Ti reflects, but it doesn't always metareflect, something like that?

Night,

However, I know what you mean with the intellectual convenience thing. It does not generally have such a forceful effect on me because Ni makes it so that I question empirical rigour as much (more?) as I do my Ni way of looking at things. I cannot and do not wish to escape Ni, but I can be aware of the way it (in)forms my being, perceptions, actions and thinking (which is indeed a rather Ni perspective again).

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
What are we doing, investigating a murder?

Trusting Ti blindly is just as bad as trusting Ni blindly... it's just that you look slightly less crazy while doing so.

I'd advise reading the whole of my post. I think you'll find that your charge is without merit, Haphazard.

I'll just save us both time:

To explain a bit further - for me, Ti provides a defensible framework. A series of intellectual footprints to reference, should I need to double-check my judgment.

Think of Ti as you would a Geometric proof. To prove a theorem, you must show your work. If A, then B. Because of B, then C.

My Ni is more an aggregation of knowledge. Like birdshot. Once fired, I'll probably hit quite a few different targets, but won't have near the surgical precision that Ti offers.

This doesn't suggest that Ti is infallible. Far from it. Functions are only as valuable as the user inclines them to be.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ

I'd advise reading the whole of my post. I think you'll find that your charge is without merit, Haphazard.

First part was a joke

The second part was not directed at you. It may have been difficult to tell but I wasn't about to split up my post into two to get that across.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Night,

However, I know what you mean with the intellectual convenience thing. It does not generally have such a forceful effect on me because Ni makes it so that I question empirical rigour as much (more?) as I do my Ni way of looking at things. I cannot and do not wish to escape Ni, but I can be aware of the way it (in)forms my being, perceptions, actions and thinking (which is indeed a rather Ni perspective again).

I certainly do not advocate ignoring Ni. Ni is an expression of your accumulated knowledge; your wealth of understanding. If nothing else, it provides leverage by fostering insight into areas unrelated to your immediate topic. Ni is a great connective tissue.

For me, Ni amplifies focus. I find that it enhances my concentration as it makes me aware of patterns that escape the vision of my Ti.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Have you decided whether you are ENTP or INTJ yet, or are you comfortable floating somewhere in between?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Have you decided whether you are ENTP or INTJ yet, or are you comfortable floating somewhere in between?

I'm really not convincingly any type.

ENTP; INFJ; INTJ - I have dominant thinking characteristics in each type column. I have no idea which fits the best.

I'm less an INTJ in that my judgment lacks some of the traditional strength many INTJs seem to possess. I dislike forcing others into my perspective and would rather leave my options open before rendering a decision.

I'm less an ENTP in that I enjoy creating plans and following them through to form. I dislike the resonating intellectual "energy" that seems to permeate most ENTPs, as it lacks meritable focus for me - too much distraction subtracts from the efficiency of my original plan.

I'm less an INFJ in that I take very little offense to critique. This is doubly so if the critique is legitimate - I'd rather redesign an operation than piddle with feeling hurt. I also place tremendous value on academic pathways - historically at the expense of important personal relationships with friends and family.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Anyway, back to the OP:

The point is that any introverted function has 'future-predicting' capabilites. Si goes by what has been internalized, Fi goes by motivations, and Ti goes by logic. Ni is only regarded as being the most future-predicty of the four because the way it works is it can't take in everything and only considers the information that catches the mind's eye, and yet can somehow churn out something useful.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Anyway, back to the OP:

The point is that any introverted function has 'future-predicting' capabilites. Si goes by what has been internalized, Fi goes by motivations, and Ti goes by logic. Ni is only regarded as being the most future-predicty of the four because the way it works is it can't take in everything and only considers the information that catches the mind's eye, and yet can somehow churn out something useful.

That is an intresting point.

My INFJ for example has the ability to have hunches about the future of patients in her hospital for example that are not always derived from logic. It's no vision thing, it's more like she has a deeper understanding as macabre as it sounds, when death comes. Maybe she i the grim reaper after all and is just pretending that she "knows" what is going to happen on a sadistic ironical basis :D.

What's really intresting about your point hap, is the expansion onto other introverted functions. Would at least deliver a new attacking point to counter-attack introverted weirdos :D