• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ahem... DO YOU SPEAK LOUD?!?!

Ahem... DO YOU SPEAK LOUD?!?!

• Total voters

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Medium to loud.

I come from a family of intense, emotional, argumentative women. You have to speak up. :D

Lolz

I am beginning to notice that a lot of INFP women have grown up around majority-women environments, who are also coincidentally a bit dramaish.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I speak with a medium to loud voice, depending on the situation. I can't stand when people either won't speak loud enough for the environment (then get mad you didn't hear them) or speak in a way people can't understand (not enunciating is a big one). My ENFJ has an incredible booming, deep voice in certain situations. It's so outside the norm of his usual speaking voice, it's shocking to some people.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
no. i'm a stereotypical infp. typically, i'm afraid of animate objects.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
no. i'm a stereotypical infp. typically, i'm afraid of animate objects.

like this?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm kinda loud but not all the time. Extroverts bring it out in me :)

Nicodemus

I have always been on the quiet side, but not by conscious choice. I speak at what I would describe as my natural volume. So when people tell me to speak louder, I have to force myself to speak unnaturally, making my voice sound unpleasantly loud in my head, even somewhat drowning out my thought process. I think being usually rather soft-spoken, I achieve significally more impactful effects when I do raise my voice - to stop people from talking too loudly, for instance.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have always been on the quiet side, but by conscious choice. I speak at what I would describe as my natural volume. So when people tell me to speak louder, I have to force myself to speak unnaturally, making my voice sound unpleasantly loud in my head, even somewhat drowning out my thought process. I think being usually rather soft-spoken, I achieve significally more impactful effects when I do raise my voice - to stop people from talking too loudly, for instance.

I think I developed my softer tone for the same reason.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No I don't and I don't like people who do.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can't recall ever being told to speak up or to simmer down in an everyday environment.

At a club or something? Gonna speak louder. Around some sleeping babies? Gonna speak more softly.

Sometimes I have little to say, but what I do say isn't necessarily quiet.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i dunno if you are actually quieter, or if your mic input is quieter? I had shitty sound and my audio drivers kept failing i finally uninstalled and reinstalled them and now my computer is really loud. it's not important

It was right next to my face.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It was right next to my face.

yeah so was mine, but you aren't comprehending what i'm saying so was mine. and i had really shit sound not loud at all, if i turn my speakers past 30 % currently its too loud before i reinstalled the drivers i would have it a 100 and had trouble hearing the sound. and i don't have intermitten deafness. so you aren't factoring everything in. if you are great, I really don't care. there's no notability in having a quiet voice, i am often not heard in real life. and maybe my voice has gotten less quiet over time cuz i'm so frustrated with always repeating myself.

Cygnus

No middle range. Either yelling or mumbling. Used to cause trouble because it was too loud and heedless of the group dynamics. Now......I barely say anything anymore.

If I ever NEED to butt in in order to accomplish a goal, I skyrocket in volume and suprise everyone. My anger scares people.

Since I've quieted down, at least now there'll be fewer occasions I prove myself a fool, raising only suspicions instead.

I am beginning to notice that a lot of INFP women have grown up around majority-women environments, who are also coincidentally a bit dramaish.
All the women I ever meet are mentally walled-in and ditto to INFPs. I'd like to see these women you describe.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes and no. It's in direct relation to how enthused I am on a topic. I can be soft-spoken if I am feeling shy or disinterested, and then I also come off as kind of flat and reserved. If I try to raise my voice then, it has an unnatural quality, lacking warmth, and it will register as angry or annoyed to others. So I don't try to "artificially" raise my voice. However, if I feel enthused and confident, then I can get loud and animated. Then it may be hard for me to lower my volume and speak softly.

I don't have a soft voice, but I have a highpitched, girlish voice. I would say it's childlike, as children have loud squeaky voices, but they are not commanding. Unfortunately, that's what I think I sound like, and so I avoid talking really loudly because I think it gets shrill. If I have to scold loud kids in a class, then I hate how shrill my voice gets.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lolz

That was my environment, and you had to talk over people to be heard and accept being talked over. I often did not do this, and it contributed to a sense of not being heard in a larger way. Instead of becoming like them, I tended to shy away from it as it frustrated me.

However, having grown up in that, I know how to interject as an adult and may have to watch myself when I am enthused, as I may get loud and talk over people. But in most cases, I am not loud at all.

As a side, I can't stand "sweet, soothing" voices in women. It sounds artificial to me and I want to tell them to grow a spine and find some passion and energy. Oddly, I find dry and robotic talking preferable to the soft, gentle tones some put on.