• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] How can you improve your ability to notice details concerning your surroundings?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a terrible weakness: I never notice anything about the details in my environment. It will often happen that I will have gone to a certain place dozens or even more times, and I will fail to notice some very obvious thing. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, I will notice these things and say, "Is that new?" Then, I find out it had always been there, but I hadn't noticed it before.

Another key thing: I will wake up, and suddenly it is spring. Where the hell did that come from??? The flowers are there - holy crap how did that happen?

People will walk by me, and I will not even notice they walk by....until they say, "HEY RENEE!!!!" It's like, "Holy crap."

My husband notices things I would never have seen. For example, we'll walk by an alcove, and he'll say, "I wonder what's behind there?"

"Where?"

"There!"

"WHERE?"

"There!! MY GOD THERE!!!!"

I wonder what's behind there???? Well, I will dream up some crazy fantasy, and he will think more practically. Though, now I have taught him to imagine that is some kind of leprechaun forest ;) where they have contests and parties and things.

He asked me today, "You know what? At work, people think you are so professional and they think you know everything because you appear so knowledgeable. But then, they do not interact with you on a daily basis in everyday life, so they do not see that when it comes to daily things, you are COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT???? I see these things, and so does everyone else, so they would assume YOU see them. But no. You don't notice these obvious things. You just walk by, dreaming in your head; thinking, contemplating, pondering the world, but you cannot or do not notice normal, ordinary things everyone sees??? Why is that?"

Damned if I could answer. I simply said, "Pfft. In case you hadn't realized by now, my brain is wired a bit differently than most people's minds."

How can I improve this ability???? I feel like a retarded dumb ass!!! Why can I not see the things most people see??? Is there something wrong with me??? How can I change it???

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
haha. it's just because i don't care to notice usually. it does help a bit if i make a conscious effort to and even moreso, if i am doing it on behalf of another person. like my motivation is to notice SO THAT they will feel more loved. "you cut your hair! it looks fantastic!" (yay... i noticed! hehe)

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Probably have to shut down the N and don't make too many assumptions or jump to conclusions. When you see something and your intuition tells you what you are seeing and starts going off in its tangents, stop for a moment, take a deep breath and really look at the object.
Or if you're reading, take the time to read every single word instead of skimming through and reading it phrases or sentences at a time.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
You basically need to actively engage the world a little bit more. Exercising in a forest, working with tools, etc. at least that's what has worked for me - I used to be rather oblivious as a small kid, now I can't say I'm as good as my sensor friends, but it's been quite some time since I've been called "spazzy" or smth. similar.

gromit

likes this
I go into different modes. Spacey/dreamy mode, detail mode, theoretical mode, self-expression mode, etc. It's almost like this switch with these different settings or something. But definitely when I'm in spacey/dreamy mode or theoretical mode I have trouble with the kind of things you describe.

Actually in high school one of my friends got his braces off and I was so surprised how everyone was commenting, because I didn't even realize he HAD braces.

But then other times, I will notice really random little details, like "look at how that steam is coming out of the manhole and how that fire hydrant is silhouetted against it... cool huh?"

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I have a terrible weakness: I never notice anything about the details in my environment. It will often happen that I will have gone to a certain place dozens or even more times, and I will fail to notice some very obvious thing. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, I will notice these things and say, "Is that new?" Then, I find out it had always been there, but I hadn't noticed it before.
...[/B]

I don't know what to tell you, but I do feel your pain: Abysmal facial recognition, inability to find stuff that's right in front of me, not noticing when someone gets a haircut or new glasses, etc..

However, when I started painting, I became very aware of trees; their shape, form, color, etc. Unfortunately, this hasn't translated to anything else. Perhaps I should start drawing faces...

niberrizbe25

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
4/7
I think the key thing is uniting the fantasy world and the real world so that they dont interfere with each other, or overpower one another. Activities such as writing detailed descriptions about your sorroundings and ascribing personification are great connectors. Decide to dream in the present momment and not years away from the now. This is what worked for me when I hit rock bottom and had to work my Si from scratch. Very effective, very quickly. Good Luck

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How can you improve your ability to notice details concerning your surroundings?

Make an effort to consciously change them, and when you accomplish the desired change in a relevant interval of time, learn from the experience...repeat... :yes:

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I can be oblivious to my environment too. Café Lattes help...

H

Hate

I think the key thing is uniting the fantasy world and the real world so that they dont interfere with each other, or overpower one another. Activities such as writing detailed descriptions about your sorroundings and ascribing personification are great connectors. Decide to dream in the present momment and not years away from the now. This is what worked for me when I hit rock bottom and had to work my Si from scratch. Very effective, very quickly. Good Luck

My Si is garbage...This sounds like some pretty solid advice. So you did this and it worked?

I'm tired of spacing out while I'm driving and missing my exits and turns. I use twice as much gas cuz I'm always zoning out while I'm driving.

I think I'm gonna try this.
Good lookin out

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I go into different modes. Spacey/dreamy mode, detail mode, theoretical mode, self-expression mode, etc. It's almost like this switch with these different settings or something. But definitely when I'm in spacey/dreamy mode or theoretical mode I have trouble with the kind of things you describe.

Actually in high school one of my friends got his braces off and I was so surprised how everyone was commenting, because I didn't even realize he HAD braces.

But then other times, I will notice really random little details, like "look at how that steam is coming out of the manhole and how that fire hydrant is silhouetted against it... cool huh?"

EXACTLY THAT!!!! I mean 1,000% that!!!!! I will randomly notice things no normal human being would notice, but I will only notice that a BIG HUGE ASS CHURCH is somewhere three years after I move to a certain place. Or my husband will notice that different stores are there, when I didn't even know the old ones were there. Or he'll notice little fleeting details, where I just look oblivious.

I think this switching mode is exactly the problem. And about 30% of the time I am in dreamy/spacey mode, and about 40% of the time in analytical mode about some idea or concept in my brain, when I accumulate details and generalities for my work. And 20% of the time in self-expression mode, which means 90% of the time, I'm trapped in my brain and not observing the world around me.

But for the off-chance that I'm on 10% of the time observation mode, it's keener than most people's. I'll notice things the average Jack wouldn't see.

Oh, and when people point stuff out to me, I am INDEED interested in the little things in life. But someone definitely needs to point them out.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
How can I improve this ability???? I feel like a retarded dumb ass!!! Why can I not see the things most people see??? Is there something wrong with me??? How can I change it???

Have you tryed getting involved in an armed conflict? Land mines and bullets flying all over the place will greatly increase your focus on the environment around you.

Failing that, any activity where you have to keep an eye out will help. I suppose paint balling would do...

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Have you tryed getting involved in an armed conflict? Land mines and bullets flying all over the place will greatly increase your focus on the environment around you.

Failing that, any activity where you have to keep an eye out will help. I suppose paint balling would do...

Sarcasm?

Wow these threads are complementing each other well. I can practice my sarcasm-detection skills and learn about picking up on environmental cues.

gromit

likes this
EXACTLY THAT!!!! I mean 1,000% that!!!!! I will randomly notice things no normal human being would notice, but I will only notice that a BIG HUGE ASS CHURCH is somewhere three years after I move to a certain place. Or my husband will notice that different stores are there, when I didn't even know the old ones were there. Or he'll notice little fleeting details, where I just look oblivious.

I think this switching mode is exactly the problem. And about 30% of the time I am in dreamy/spacey mode, and about 40% of the time in analytical mode about some idea or concept in my brain, when I accumulate details and generalities for my work. And 20% of the time in self-expression mode, which means 90% of the time, I'm trapped in my brain and not observing the world around me.

But for the off-chance that I'm on 10% of the time observation mode, it's keener than most people's. I'll notice things the average Jack wouldn't see.

Oh, and when people point stuff out to me, I am INDEED interested in the little things in life. But someone definitely needs to point them out.
When I'm in an unfamiliar place, I need to be aware of my surroundings, to gauge the "tone" and be aware of any potential conflicts or dangers (that sounds extreme, but even something like a car driving by is a danger). I.e. in an unfamiliar place I am automatically more aware than in a familiar place.

In familiar places sometimes I just consciously put myself into the mode where I soak in everything around me. It feels nice to really appreciate and feel like a part of what's around you.

Also, photography is fun.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Sarcasm?

Wow these threads are complementing each other well. I can practice my sarcasm-detection skills and learn about picking up on environmental cues.

No, at least the second paragraph was serious.

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
Sarcasm?

Good job. You'll become German's next top Sarcasm-picker in no time. :yes: (Did you see it?!)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good job. You'll become German's next top Sarcasm-picker in no time. :yes: (Did you see it?!)

SCORRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm freaking awesome, man!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

niberrizbe25

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
4/7
My Si is garbage...This sounds like some pretty solid advice. So you did this and it worked?

I'm tired of spacing out while I'm driving and missing my exits and turns. I use twice as much gas cuz I'm always zoning out while I'm driving.

I think I'm gonna try this.
Good lookin out

I am glad to help

Last edited by a moderator: