User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How can you improve your ability to notice details concerning your surroundings?

Striving for balance Array Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I go into different modes. Spacey/dreamy mode, detail mode, theoretical mode, self-expression mode, etc. It's almost like this switch with these different settings or something. But definitely when I'm in spacey/dreamy mode or theoretical mode I have trouble with the kind of things you describe.

Actually in high school one of my friends got his braces off and I was so surprised how everyone was commenting, because I didn't even realize he HAD braces.

But then other times, I will notice really random little details, like "look at how that steam is coming out of the manhole and how that fire hydrant is silhouetted against it... cool huh?"
    EXACTLY THAT!!!! I mean 1,000% that!!!!! I will randomly notice things no normal human being would notice, but I will only notice that a BIG HUGE ASS CHURCH is somewhere three years after I move to a certain place. Or my husband will notice that different stores are there, when I didn't even know the old ones were there. Or he'll notice little fleeting details, where I just look oblivious.

I think this switching mode is exactly the problem. And about 30% of the time I am in dreamy/spacey mode, and about 40% of the time in analytical mode about some idea or concept in my brain, when I accumulate details and generalities for my work. And 20% of the time in self-expression mode, which means 90% of the time, I'm trapped in my brain and not observing the world around me.

But for the off-chance that I'm on 10% of the time observation mode, it's keener than most people's. I'll notice things the average Jack wouldn't see.

Oh, and when people point stuff out to me, I am INDEED interested in the little things in life. But someone definitely needs to point them out.

Supreme High Commander Array Andy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post

How can I improve this ability???? I feel like a retarded dumb ass!!! Why can I not see the things most people see??? Is there something wrong with me??? How can I change it???
    Have you tryed getting involved in an armed conflict? Land mines and bullets flying all over the place will greatly increase your focus on the environment around you.

Failing that, any activity where you have to keep an eye out will help. I suppose paint balling would do...

MBTI
    xNFP
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Have you tryed getting involved in an armed conflict? Land mines and bullets flying all over the place will greatly increase your focus on the environment around you.

Failing that, any activity where you have to keep an eye out will help. I suppose paint balling would do...
    Sarcasm?

Wow these threads are complementing each other well. I can practice my sarcasm-detection skills and learn about picking up on environmental cues.

Post Thanks / Like

EXACTLY THAT!!!! I mean 1,000% that!!!!! I will randomly notice things no normal human being would notice, but I will only notice that a BIG HUGE ASS CHURCH is somewhere three years after I move to a certain place. Or my husband will notice that different stores are there, when I didn't even know the old ones were there. Or he'll notice little fleeting details, where I just look oblivious.

I think this switching mode is exactly the problem. And about 30% of the time I am in dreamy/spacey mode, and about 40% of the time in analytical mode about some idea or concept in my brain, when I accumulate details and generalities for my work. And 20% of the time in self-expression mode, which means 90% of the time, I'm trapped in my brain and not observing the world around me.

But for the off-chance that I'm on 10% of the time observation mode, it's keener than most people's. I'll notice things the average Jack wouldn't see.

Oh, and when people point stuff out to me, I am INDEED interested in the little things in life. But someone definitely needs to point them out.
    When I'm in an unfamiliar place, I need to be aware of my surroundings, to gauge the "tone" and be aware of any potential conflicts or dangers (that sounds extreme, but even something like a car driving by is a danger). I.e. in an unfamiliar place I am automatically more aware than in a familiar place.

In familiar places sometimes I just consciously put myself into the mode where I soak in everything around me. It feels nice to really appreciate and feel like a part of what's around you.

Also, photography is fun.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Supreme High Commander Array Andy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Post Thanks / Like

Sarcasm?

Wow these threads are complementing each other well. I can practice my sarcasm-detection skills and learn about picking up on environmental cues.
    No, at least the second paragraph was serious.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Post Thanks / Like

Sarcasm?

Good job. You'll become German's next top Sarcasm-picker in no time. (Did you see it?!)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm enjoying this thread immensely.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    xNFP
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    Good job. You'll become German's next top Sarcasm-picker in no time. (Did you see it?!)
    SCORRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm freaking awesome, man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    4/7
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedruM View Post
    My Si is garbage...This sounds like some pretty solid advice. So you did this and it worked?

I'm tired of spacing out while I'm driving and missing my exits and turns. I use twice as much gas cuz I'm always zoning out while I'm driving.

I think I'm gonna try this.
    Good lookin out
    I am glad to help
    Last edited by Patches; 12-20-2013 at 07:04 AM.

Senior Member Array visaisahero's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Post Thanks / Like

inferior Si, I relate completely.
    Call me Visa, please!
    visakanv.com
    visaisahero.tumblr.com