• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP Males

MattC333

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ok, the more I read the more I think I'm a very small % of the whole MB spectrum. A male ENFP.

I'm the kinda guy that wells up with tears when a particularly moving moment occurs in front of me/on TV & film/in a song. I'm moved relentless by people and their infinite capacity.

Actually, the best description for me is David Tennant's Dr Who.
Watch "The Impossible Planet" & "The Satan Pit" (a 2 parter), to me, the Dr in that is the definition of an ENFP down to the bone.
A huge people lover, at home in nearly all social settings and was a big role model for me as I was aiming to increase my confidence.

Anyways, I'm sure we're all aware of ENFPness, but my question is this:
Why are male ENFPs rarer or at least considered to be rarer?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They are actually not that rare according to these statistics.

I think many NF males are not apt to show the sensitivity inherent in the NF temperament because of gender roles. Also because of this, some might test as NTs. My own ENFP brother, for example, tests as ENTP.

sculpting

I second Lauren.

At first I thought the enfp male might be imaginary like gnomes, however I have found three at work.

The tend to face the world with a more balanced even Te than the girls and seem to be a little less emo labile (damned overies). But n=tiny so that's just an observation so far.

They can be hard to spot as they are just as mercurial as the females, and hide some of thier inner fuzzies. They are very good at taking organizations of people, understanding the pivot points and interacting with to elicit change.

Look for lots of hand gestures when the talk, a direct Te mode of communication when interacting with Ts and sweet Fi eyes when not. They can be a little goofy too.

I think many enfp boys may test as entp or as somewhere in the middle on the scale.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
My really good friend is apparently an ENFP I saw him crying in a movie once and i was like...wtf...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i notice first a certain conviction of personal integrity and enormous emotional strength...my father was an enfp...so i'm likely biased but i get this very strong protective vibe from them....and yeah...can go from super serious and impressively intelligent..to really silly and hilarious...i love them. :wubbie:

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I suspect that ENFP males catch some of the same hangups that male ENFJs encounter. I made a post on it awhile back, I'll see if I can find it.

stigmatica

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm a newly diagnosed male ENFP :crazy:

I cry in a lot of movies, but always do my best to hide it. ah em... allergies and stuff, you know!

I can be the goofiest of goofs at times, tis true. :D But I can also be quite thoughtful, I think... or do I feel it? My intuition certainly senses the fact that I feel my perception of it to be so, and therefore I judge it to be true, whatever the case. :huh:

Don't come crying to me about a splinter, though.. you won't get sympathy from me! Well... unless you're a little girl with tears in your eyes. :cry: Or, maybe a grown woman too. Ah, hell. Just don't fucking cry around me, OK!

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
They are actually not that rare according to these statistics.

I think many NF males are not apt to show the sensitivity inherent in the NF temperament because of gender roles. Also because of this, some might test as NTs. My own ENFP brother, for example, tests as ENTP.

Depends on how you define apt.

It's interesting looking at those statistics, because they show we ENFP males are the exact opposite of the most common male type - the ISTJ. So while not the rarest, we are E when most men are I, N when most men are S, F when most men are T and P when most men are J.

Gender aside, I think there is a little bit of bias when it comes to NF-ness representing the epitome of sensitivity. I don't see SFs mentioned as much, but they represent a much larger percentage of the population, so it's not like they can't be spotted.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Definitions of apt on the Web:

• 1. inclined; disposed; given; prone:

It's interesting looking at those statistics, because they show we ENFP males are the exact opposite of the most common male type - the ISTJ. So while not the rarest, we are E when most men are I, N when most men are S, F when most men are T and P when most men are J.
I don't understand why this is relevant. We're talking about a certain type in the population, not preferences.

Gender aside, I think there is a little bit of bias when it comes to NF-ness representing the epitome of sensitivity.
Who said that it did?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My really good friend is apparently an ENFP I saw him crying in a movie once and i was like...wtf...

Lol, very ISTP'ish reaction. :laugh:
Imagine, my husband (ISTP) and me.
He never understand me when I'm crying when watching tv shows. :D He thought I was feeling down and he doens't understand I'm feelin´g for somebody else. :D

I think I know few male ENFP's.
My boss at work, he is quite definitely ENFP. I can recognize certain patterns of ENFP with him but I do think male ENFP's seem much tougher to the outside than the female as Lauren there put it. The gender difference + how the society wants us to behave.

I had an online chat with another ENFP male while gameplaying online game. He's comments made me a bit surprised at times because I do live with tough ISTP male. :D I mean, I'm really not used to see tenderness and softness in guys because I live with the ulitmately manly man who is really not that emotional. :D

I think I've used too many :D 's in this post.
:smile:

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
In the "What's my type?" thread I'm trying to figure out whether my boyfriend is an ENTP or an ENFP. I figured ENTP for a while, and he tested that way in school, but I'm just about positive about my type, and something is off about the ENTP label for him. I'm not sure how gender differences and age (he's 19) incorporate into that, but the outer toughness and directness in communication that some of you are describing as showing up in male ENFPs reminds me strongly of my bf. He can come off as very directive when he's in charge of something involving enacting a change he believes in, but the more I get to know him, the more I'm surprised by how soft/tender he is when it's just you and him. It's more than I am, that's for sure, lol.

In case he is an ENFP, I'll describe him for ya'll:

- very idealistic, always looking for what can be improved
- loves making grand plans, but they can change completely by the day
- very goofy, jokes a lot
- great storyteller, probably could be a great actor
- likes to be a center of attention
- can give off a super-macho vibe sometimes, but doesn't seem to be his natural state
- can be directive and pushy at times, though will back off and be more flexible of you confront him about it
- extremely considerate for individuals. I can't count the number of times he's done something nice for me, from brushing hair out of my eyes constantly (I'm an absent-minded professor wreck lol), to buying me a thumb drive to put my photos on so I can take them to a photo club meeting he loves going to and show them off.
- he's very supportive of growth in other individuals
- not afraid to confront people if he has a problem
- if someone confronts him angrily, he will escalate immediately, but if you confront him calmly he will listen with little defensiveness
- extremely outwardly confident
- eyes that express basically everything
- seems to really hold back from expressing feelings directly
- can be very opinionated
- sticks strong to his causes (he's into environmental activism - he doesn't use plastic bags at the grocery, gets annoyed when waiters give him straws [waste of paper and plastic!]). Would prefer the "rise up and protest" method to the "consider all the factors and then decide the best approach from there"

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sounds enfp yep :smile:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Definitions of apt on the Web:

• 1. inclined; disposed; given; prone:

You don't think we are all that?

I don't understand why this is relevant. We're talking about a certain type in the population, not preferences.

It's relevant because, even if we are not the rarest, we could be regarded as the strangest in a sense. And the topic title is "ENFP Male" so I'm guessing any curiosity relating to us is relevant. I wasn't directing that at you. I was just checking your link and commenting on what I saw.

Who said that it did?

No one. But I see it implied all over.

Why are you asking me these questions? I'm not directing this at someone so much as commenting on the topic of hand.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You don't think we are all that?
All what? Those are synonyms for apt.

It's relevant because, even if we are not the rarest, we could be regarded as the strangest in a sense.
Maybe. We could also say that ESTP, although not the rarest, has Se where ISTJ has Si, Ti where ISTJ has Se, etc. But the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Why are you asking me these questions? I'm not directing this at someone so much as commenting on the topic of hand.
Because you quoted me and then asked me a question. It's generally thought that when you quote someone, you are directing your response at them.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
All what? Those are synonyms for apt.

R ya pullin me leg? You don't think we are inclined towards sensitivity, disposed toward sensitivity, given to sensitivity, prone to sensitivity? That was my question. And no they are not synonyms. You are apt to the job. Doesn't mean you are prone to do the job.

Maybe. We could also say that ESTP, although not the rarest, has Se where ISTJ has Si, Ti where ISTJ has Se, etc. But the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

True. But I wasn't talking in terms of functions. You got my point.

Because you quoted me and then asked me a question. It's generally thought that when you quote someone, you are directing your response at them.

I asked you no question. What am I to do then when I want to address different people/topics in the same post? :p I directed the first sentence at you, yes. The rest were just my thoughts on the topic subject.

EDITED

Last edited:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I score a 30, you ?

lineal_zeichnung.jpg

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
R ya pullin me leg? You don't think we are inclined towards sensitivity, disposed toward sensitivity, given to sensitivity, prone to sensitivity? And no they are synonyms. You are apt to the job. Doesn't mean you are prone to do the job.
:doh:

Please read the sentence again:
I think many NF males are not apt to show the sensitivity inherent in the NF temperament because of gender roles[...]
-----------
True. But I wasn't talking in terms of functions. You got my point.
I got that your point was a random tangent. Ne, ftw? :)

I asked you no question.

I interpreted this as questioning how I was using the word apt in this context. I think things are just getting lost in translation as I know English is not your first language.

What am I to do then when I want to address different people/topics in the same post? :p
Multi-quote is your friend. If you're addressing the topic, then don't quote anyone.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
:doh:

Please read the sentence again:

-----------

I got that your point was a random tangent. Ne, ftw? :)

I interpreted this as questioning how I was using the word apt in this context. I think things are just getting lost in translation as I know English is not your first language.

Multi-quote is your friend. If you're addressing the topic, then don't quote anyone.

Ouch! :laugh:

And you quoted me before I edited that to correct it. The point is they are not synonyms. I was asking you a simple yes or no question, why so reluctant?

No the point was not a tangent. The point was that we have 4 major character defining traits the stereotypical male (ISTJ for the sake of argument) does not.

All is right in Wonderland.