User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Difference between INFP and INTP

MBTI
    INTP
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Difference between INFP and INTP

Hello NF's!

I am looking for some ideas about what sets INTP's and INFP's apart. I realize it is one line-the one that forms the F out of a T-but I am looking for some specific behaviors.

For instance both are given an assignment to write ad copy about a company product. The product is a pencil. The INTP *might* write about the size, color, chemical makeup of the lead (graphite etc.) and how it effects performance, factory process to produce the wood stem if it is an improvement of some kind, number in the box, price compared to the competition, where it can purchased, etc.

What might an INFP write?

Do all INFP's like poetry?

Do all INFP's feel like they are sensitive?

Thank you for your input!
    Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving
    Strength of the preferences %
    67 38 12 11

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Post Thanks / Like

What might an INFP write? That depends entirely on what the specifications would be, since no one wants to let their company down. If it was per say a new pencil that should be used in place of the ones we have now that would also effect the answer. In short, this isn't a type specific question, but a question relating to individuals.

Do all INFP's like poetry? No, why would they?

Do all INFP's feel like they are sensitive? I don't know, you'd probably have to ask all of us. That also depends entirely on the definition of "sensitive" you're asking, the stereotyped meaning of sensitive doesn't apply to me.
    () 9w8-3w2-5w6 tritype.

RCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    infp
    Post Thanks / Like

>>>I would write about how the pencil could help you, how it is the perfect companion. Also maybe some of the great improved features of the pencil and how it is unique from other pencils.

>>>I love poetry.

>>>I am quite sensitive inside, although I might not show it depending on who I am with.

Besserwisserwannabe Array Jennifer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INtP
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redbud View Post
    For instance both are given an assignment to write ad copy about a company product. The product is a pencil. The INTP *might* write about the size, color, chemical makeup of the lead (graphite etc.) and how it effects performance, factory process to produce the wood stem if it is an improvement of some kind, number in the box, price compared to the competition, where it can purchased, etc.

Questions like these don't say much, there's just far too much potential for overlap.

Not all INTPs always take the technical route.
    Not all INFPs take the personal route.
    It's easy for both to focus on the tech specs if they want, here.

But it's also more likely that both the INTP and INFP, for ad copy, will engage Ne more than their primary and end up looking a lot alike.

I think a better check would be providing a relational scenario of some sort and asking each how they would handle it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Movie Reviews: What Jenny Saw

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni
    Post Thanks / Like

For instance both are given an assignment to write ad copy about a company product. The product is a pencil.
    I actually write ad copy & design ads, and I would write minimal verbiage. Effective advertising usually relies more on images and a few key words & phrases to catch the reader's attention. Quite honestly, advertising appeals more to the emotions than logic also. You have to make people feel they need something they probably don't need.

I personally like poetry a lot.

I never felt I was sensitive; I felt others were insensitive. It annoyed me to be called sensitive because I felt it was a dismissal of my view point as invalid simply because it involves feeling. After being told by many people I am sensitive (particularly to criticism), I have accepted that I am. I see it as a positive and one of the things that makes me a creative person.
    "Happiness is beneficial for the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind." - Proust,
    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink INFP vs INTP

emphatically agree with Jennifer's post.

OP, let me know when you figure the difference out -- i myself am wondering!

(i was fairly confident i was INFP - the result i got in my psych I class, but i re-tested yesterday and scored 50/50 on the T/F matrix.. anyone have any insights? i am new to in-depth MBTI stuff, so.. )

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    (i was fairly confident i was INFP - the result i got in my psych I class, but i re-tested yesterday and scored 50/50 on the T/F matrix.. anyone have any insights? i am new to in-depth MBTI stuff, so.. )
    If you agree with the INFP description you are one. I myself am 50/50 on all preferences. Don't pull this INXP crap either.
    () 9w8-3w2-5w6 tritype.

RCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

you mean there isnt a multiple personality type indicator?

MBTI
    INTP
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Questions like these don't say much, there's just far too much potential for overlap.

Not all INTPs always take the technical route.
    Not all INFPs take the personal route.
    It's easy for both to focus on the tech specs if they want, here.

But it's also more likely that both the INTP and INFP, for ad copy, will engage Ne more than their primary and end up looking a lot alike.

I think a better check would be providing a relational scenario of some sort and asking each how they would handle it.
    It's easy for both to focus on the tech specs if they want, here. This is actually part of my question. IS it easy? Can either type go back and forth and produce a similar looking document? Or does the INTP's ad copy look forced (or wordy) and the INFP's technical document too non-specific or whatever? Interesting point about either working from the Ne.

I think a better check would be providing a relational scenario of some sort and asking each how they would handle it I didn't mean to be trite and I'm open to ideas? I chose writing because it seemed to be something that both types had in common, and dare I say, were passionate about.

Why would all INFP's Like Poetry? Beats the heck out of me-but most descriptions I've run across seem to include a love of poetry for the INFP and math for the INTP. Personally I can't stand either subject so I was curious.

I might be doing it again but here is another scenario: my INFJ friend and I have very different views about nanny cams. Her belief is that they are a violation of the employer/employee relationship/trust and that if the employer trusts the nanny with their children out and about then they should trust them within the home as well. Furthermore if they feel like they have to put a camera in the house then they shouldn't hire that nanny to begin with. My thinking on the other hand is that as long as it does not violate any laws and the cameras are not placed in the nanny's personal areas then the parents are absolutely within their rights to have these safeguards for their children. Trust is not the issue-nor is the relationship with the nanny. IMO a nanny-cam is just a precaution.

What is your take on the topic and do you think it is based in type?
    Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving
    Strength of the preferences %
    67 38 12 11

Besserwisserwannabe Array Jennifer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INtP
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni
    Post Thanks / Like

It's easy for both to focus on the tech specs if they want, here. This is actually part of my question. IS it easy? Can either type go back and forth and produce a similar looking document? Or does the INTP's ad copy look forced (or wordy) and the INFP's technical document too non-specific or whatever? Interesting point about either working from the Ne.
    I don't think with this particular document you suggested that you will be able to separate anyone but extreme INTPs from extreme INFPs -- anyone moderate (i.e., the average person) will be within the gray area.

But my attempt at compromise here: my fellow tech writer here is an INFP and she's less logical and more anal than me. We still produce similar quality documents, there's just not a lot of variation there, but when we dicker about technical writing, she seems fixated on details that matter less to me (I think it's her Te) and also gets hung up on things that seem arbitrary (her Fi) vs my need get the inherent structure of the document(s) right (Ti).

I decided to leave the tech writing to her and now I do report layout instead.

I think a better check would be providing a relational scenario of some sort and asking each how they would handle it I didn't mean to be trite and I'm open to ideas? I chose writing because it seemed to be something that both types had in common, and dare I say, were passionate about.
    Pencils?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Movie Reviews: What Jenny Saw