User Tag List

MBTI
    yupp

Default NFs (or anyone who wants to answer, it will be an advice party, wee champagne!)

So how do you deal with someone you live with attempting suicide? I mean how do you deal with the fallout, and the mess they leave? (I don't mean physical, but emotional. The only thing I've been doing is taken care of myself, made plans to go out with people tommorow night and an appointment with a counselor. I don't know if this is enough, but I really don't know what to do.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

It's hard to say.. I've been around someone that was suicidal, but never did I live with that person. I would presume careful and constant attention is in order.

I'm sorry I'm of no help, but I do hope that you get through this alright. It's always hard to see people hit rock bottom, knowing you can only help so much.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Sniffles

Unhappy

I had to deal with the tragedy of having one of my long-time friends commit suicide. And for a long time I was racked with guilt that perhaps I should've done more to help prevent it. These thoughts still pop up in the back of my head, and I doubt they'll ever fully go away.

However, I will tell you this. If a person is determined to kill themselves, there's very little you can do to stop it really. Certainly don't be indifferent to the situation, but realise there's only so much you can do. In the end, it's their decision - not your's.

Certainly spending time with those you care about is a really good idea. Seeing a counselor isn't a bad idea either.

Anyways...hope this helps. I'll try adding more later when my mind is in a better mood.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

In California that is called a "5150". And the cops do it for you if you call them. Don't know what it's called where you are.

Not saying you want to do that though.

MBTI
    yupp

she's in a hospital right now, which is good. But she'll get out, and come home.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    So how do you deal with someone you live with attempting suicide? I mean how do you deal with the fallout, and the mess they leave? (I don't mean physical, but emotional. The only thing I've been doing is taken care of myself, made plans to go out with people tommorow night and an appointment with a counselor. I don't know if this is enough, but I really don't know what to do.
    A) Weird thread title.

B) Especially weird when I read the first sentence in the OP.

C) I think you should start by securing your bases and making sure they have a strong net to fall back on: family, medications, doctors, psychologists, crisis counselors. Then, just be human. See if they want to talk about it, offer a listening ear without being too pushy, and just do your best to help them readjust smoothly. You could take the opportunity to read about warning signs and keep an eye out for them for the next couple months.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    A) Weird thread title.

B) Especially weird when I read the first sentence in the OP.

C) I think you should start by securing your bases and making sure they have a strong net to fall back on: family, medications, doctors, psychologists, crisis counselors. Then, just be human. See if they want to talk about it, offer a listening ear without being too pushy, and just do your best to help them readjust smoothly. You could take the opportunity to read about warning signs and keep an eye out for them for the next couple months.
    This sounds good to me.

A suicidal person who's going to reattempt usually tries within the first three months after the initial attempt. I know you recognize this is a very critical period. Try to keep things as low stress of this person as possible. Here are some links I found

How to Help a Suicidal Person: Take Them Seriously
    How to Help a Suicidal Person
    Helping the Suicidal Person
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFP

Couple of good points mentioned here.

It sounds like you're doing everything neccesary and with more information from others you'll have an increasingly good idea what you need to do.

It doesn't hurt to ask the person themselves what they want you to do.

Taking care of yourself as a foremost goal seems advisable.

And to echo Peguy, you can neither save the person or cause their death. A good mantra to repeat frequently. Some sense of guilt is nearly inevitable.

Sending thoughts of strength and wellness your way.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENFj

Well what was the reason for her to want to commit suicide in the first place?
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

It's rough that you live with the person.

I agree with this:

I think you should start by securing your bases and making sure they have a strong net to fall back on: family, medications, doctors, psychologists, crisis counselors. Then, just be human.
    Like Peguy said:

If a person is determined to kill themselves, there's very little you can do to stop it really.
    Sounds like you are on the right track.