User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

To me, this question is like asking: "ISTPs, do you get hurt when people stab you in the neck?"

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by karenk View Post
    If you're in a job that doesn't suit your preferences, do you get depressed? I already didn't like my job and then they moved my cube to an open area. People are behind me and there's a lot more stimuli/less privacy. I think for a hsp this is bad. After just a couple months I'm already depressed. I was also in a job that was a poor fit for me in the past and I continued being depressed months AFTER I left it-like it took time to get over it. Do others have this difficulty and how do you cope/deal with it?
    Oh my goodness yes! I have been a professional nanny for almost 5 years. I love working with children. The family that I am with now, I absolutely adore. However, last year was horrible. I was set up with a family by one of the nanny agencies I am with and signed a one-year contract with them. About 2 weeks into the job I already hated it. For one thing, the family dynamic was extremely unhealthy. One of the little boys I "looked after", had A LOT of issues and the family refused to see there was a problem. They saw no problem with a 4 year-old locking himself in his room all day long and watching cartoons and refusing to eat anything but hot dogs. I also had no real responsibility because the grandmother was always there looking after them. So my job basically turned into cleaning his house and running errands for the grandmother. The grandmother was also extremely controlling and basically just not a nice person at all. Personality wise, I think she was a very unhealthy ESFJ. It was horrible. I got extremely depressed and there were quite a few tearful phone calls made to my parents. I was determined to stick it out for the year that I promised. About 3 months before the contract ended they decided to add 3 more children (the boys' cousins) to the mix. The way that this is supposed to work through the agency is they're supposed to talk with me about it first, and if I agree they should offer a 1-3$ raise for watching 5 children, instead of the 2 that I had orginally agreed on. But they never consulted me at all. So after a few weeks I brought it up to them. (Which was extremely terrifying, as I HATE conflict.) They're reaction was unbelievable, and I honestly still have nightmares about it all. They yelled and name-called...all in front of the children. And can you believe it, I still didn't leave. I stayed for another month. It's been 3 months since I stopped working for them and I cannot even drive through that part of town without feeling sick to my stomach.
    Rain makes applesauce

violaine

Yes to the OP. It's only happened in one job. Really affected my health/happiness though. I thought I got my dream job in child protection - a lot of writing, excellent career path, nice level of autonomy. But the team dynamics were so off-the-wall, I was on good terms with everyone, but they all hated each other. Everything good would be derailed by personal conflict. I didn't respect any of them cos we were meant to be focused on doing the greater good and they would be arguing about what color paper the next office circular should be. (srsly!) It turned a meaningful job into a pointless one.

Due to other circumstances I left that job and started doing something creative. That made everything better though it took me a while to get over how much that job had affected me. So glad I'm not there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by karenk View Post
    If you're in a job that doesn't suit your preferences, do you get depressed? I already didn't like my job and then they moved my cube to an open area. People are behind me and there's a lot more stimuli/less privacy. I think for a hsp this is bad. After just a couple months I'm already depressed. I was also in a job that was a poor fit for me in the past and I continued being depressed months AFTER I left it-like it took time to get over it. Do others have this difficulty and how do you cope/deal with it?
    OMFG, yes.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENFP

Definitely
    Om–ba–ara–minaya–sabaha
    4w5 sx/so/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Right now I'm unhappy with my my job because I'm not reaching my high standards. I work at a health food store only 8 hours a week, and because of that, I can't learn the products which means I can't answer Q's or give useful advice. So I mainly work the register. But I wouldn't say I'm depressed about it, simply dissatisfied with what I feel is a meaningless occupation, plus feeling inadequate.
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

MBTI
    ISFJ

I'd go out of my way to quit jobs that are making me miserable no matter how much I get payed. Life is too short simply think about survival...and there's always another job out there.

But then again, I never really had a job

PS: What's a HSP? This question isn't even directed at me but I felt inclined to answer it anyway :P

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    To me, this question is like asking: "ISTPs, do you get hurt when people stab you in the neck?"
    hahaha. yeah. I know people who can handle going to work even if they don't like their jobs, but most everybody I know, regardless of type, suffers if work sucks--especially if it's a job that you're emotionally invested in.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I'd go out of my way to quit jobs that are making me miserable no matter how much I get payed. Life is too short simply think about survival...and there's always another job out there.

But then again, I never really had a job

PS: What's a HSP? This question isn't even directed at me but I felt inclined to answer it anyway :P
    highly sensitive person
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Oops, definitely wrong thread...