User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default Deep or Shallow?

You know a lot of people go around throwing the word "deep" and "shallow" around.
    "Oh he's deep, oh she's shallow."

But first, I have a few questions for you people:

What is your definition of deep and shallow?

Which one do you consider yourself and why?

Which one do you consider most people you know or "at large" (and why)?
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

Banned
    MBTI
    type

It's relative, and it always will be. For me, perhaps, shallow is accepting, or taking someone's word for things, and deep is understanding them.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

deep just means looking past the surface. it's the act of not just making a claim without looking at any of the underlying problems. bush sucks? why does he suck? what are the patterns in his decision process that you don't like? two people can make the same claim with equal strength and be miles apart in terms of depth.

i think everything that you can call shallow or deep is derived from this. it's shallow to say that 'all muslims are violent' or 'all americans are rednecks' because that's just looking at what's on the surface ie. what you are told. depth is the constant process of asking 'why?' so you can go DEEPER into the subject.

i guess i consider myself deep. actually, i know i'm deep. too deep. so deep that i can make your average joe uncomfortable, especially in a philosophy class . it's just my nature i guess.

i consider the average population pretty shallow. i don't think people really understand what's going on behind the scenes. it's like they're watching a puppet show without knowing there's a puppeteer.

MBTI
    INFP

My definition of depth (when attributed to an individual) is an ability to understand.

Depth of feeling... ability to feel deeply.. a certain sensitivity to the good, bad, beautiful, ugly in an environment. "Soul."

Depth of thought.. Ability to think deeply. Philosophise and comprehend.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    My definition of depth (when attributed to an individual) is an ability to understand.

Depth of feeling... ability to feel deeply.. a certain sensitivity to the good, bad, beautiful, ugly in an environment. "Soul."

Depth of thought.. Ability to think deeply. Philosophise and comprehend.

I don't like the words deep and shallow.. they are normative and annoying.
    I don't mind the words but I don't like how people use them in my environment, especially the school one.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    i think everything that you can call shallow or deep is derived from this. it's shallow to say that 'all muslims are violent' or 'all americans are rednecks' because that's just looking at what's on the surface ie. what you are told. depth is the constant process of asking 'why?' so you can go DEEPER into the subject.
    You're talking about critical thinking. If deep = someone who thinks critically about a situation/story/whatever then I am shallow. I just don't see the point in reflecting on something that I have an opinion on instantaneously. I like being shallow. I've said it before, ignorance is bliss. All I have to know about are the variables that are affecting my life directly. Who cares about Bush, Obama, so on and so forth. I don't know them. I never will. And what they do will only indirectly affect me, so there.

I do however, think quite a bit about the relationships that I have with people and how I can improve them...
    "... you think deeply about stuff [that] nobody cares about and hardly anybody can understand you." ~ Peguy talking about Ni users. So true.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    deep just means looking past the surface. it's the act of not just making a claim without looking at any of the underlying problems. bush sucks? why does he suck? what are the patterns in his decision process that you don't like? two people can make the same claim with equal strength and be miles apart in terms of depth.

i guess i consider myself deep. actually, i know i'm deep. too deep. so deep that i can make your average joe uncomfortable, especially in a philosophy class . it's just my nature i guess.

i consider the average population pretty shallow. i don't think people really understand what's going on behind the scenes. it's like they're watching a puppet show without knowing there's a puppeteer.
    That's nice to know. I feel shallow though, ironically enough.
    (By the way I know the anime your avatar is taken from, used to watch it as a kid : hilarious!)
    Disregard, why does it bother you that the word is "normative"?
    So in your opinion people are all on a spectrum of depth of feeling or thought or what? How does this work for you :P, I want more details.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by chris1207 View Post
    You're talking about critical thinking. If deep = someone who thinks critically about a situation/story/whatever then I am shallow. I just don't see the point in reflecting on something that I have an opinion on instantaneously. I like being shallow. I've said it before, ignorance is bliss. All I have to know about are the variables that are affecting my life directly. Who cares about Bush, Obama, so on and so forth. I don't know them. I never will. And what they do will only indirectly affect me, so there.

I do however, think quite a bit about the relationships that I have with people and how I can improve them...
    honestly, i think that's dangerous. you will NEVER have a good understanding of all the things that affect you directly if you don't understand what's going on behind it. it's also quite dangerous to label something as relevant and forget everything else. okay, say you care about your taxes but not your president, how's that gonna make any sense when it comes to voting? furthermore, how can you make the best decision for yourself on voting day if you don't understand the economic crisis that is controlling all these decisions?

being deep is more than 'dude you have such a cool aura' or 'life is a journey not a destination'. it is getting to the core issues of whatever you are thinking about.

Glycerine

From my point of view:

Shallow- relating on a one-dimensional level Ex. Person 1: Brad Pitt has a nice bod. Person 2: Most definitely.

Deep: Connecting through multi-layers of understanding. Ex. Life is about perceptions and facades. There is no clear cut answer to any of life's mysteries.

I think most people have a "shallow" mask but once you get to know them, they can be surprisingly deep. I, for one, am one of those people.

MBTI
    INxJ

Subjective. It depends on the individual. I don't consider the population at large as far as this idea is concerned.