First 1234 Last

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

I agree with most of the people in this thread that who is deep and who is shallow is mostly subjective. Someone might find X to be deep while another person will turn around and say that exact same thing is a shallow quality. I consider trading information with people to be something deep, because I'm sharing knowledge and knowledge is power, you know? But someone else, a more emotional person who likes to take things slow and personal might find that idea to be superficial. And actually, my best friend does find that idea to be superficial. So that's an example for you. The best way to be considered deep is to cross the boundary between intellect and intuition.

MBTI
    INFP

I'm tempted to drop a lot of random questions again but I'm scared it'll wander off like that chameleon thread.
    I don't even consider people deep or not, I started realizing these two words existed one or two years ago, in english class. Heard it so many times flying around the room but it never really hit me then I asked myself what the words actually meant and I saw I simply attached one or the other to a "stereotype"and used it in english essay, that was the end of it. I beat myself up for being an idiot, moved on and wondered what the words actually meant if they didn't have much to do with the previous stereotypes.
    Basically, that is my "relationship" to these two words.
    (oh I hadn't noticed someone had already made a thread like this a while ago :S)
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

Glycerine

What is your take on deep vs. shallow after reading these responses?

MBTI
    INTJ

To me, a shallow conversation is one about planting flowers, fixing cars and cooking.
    A deep conversation would be about ideas and feelings and attempts at understanding the human heart.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    To me, a shallow conversation is one about planting flowers, fixing cars and cooking.
    A deep conversation would be about ideas and feelings and attempts at understanding the human heart.
    I like your definition the best!

MBTI
    INFP

Well after reading people's posts, I think it's a matter of definition as I suspected and everyone defines this by first the whole concept of understanding", then what is to be understood goes from ideas to feelings.)

MBTI
    infp

Its about layers for me. Something that is deep has more layers (i.e. of thought or emotion) while shallow is just very simplistic to the point of absurdity. I don't really use these terms though, because it's always hard to know. Sometimes depth is just kind of calculated vanity and sometimes shallow is just unexplained. I just look at what it is, I don't catagorize on depth.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Its about layers for me. Something that is deep has more layers (i.e. of thought or emotion) while shallow is just very simplistic to the point of absurdity. I don't really use these terms though, because it's always hard to know. Sometimes depth is just kind of calculated vanity and sometimes shallow is just unexplained. I just look at what it is, I don't catagorize on depth.
    I kind of categorize, I just categorize naturally and I'll admit there's something a bit wrong to that =>"judging people".
    But for this topic for some reason it rarely occurs.
    Honestly though, don't you ever categorize a little? Now that you've made your two pools you're going to use them right? Someone's going to fall in these two categories in your opinion. I don't mean to say that you look around for people and "throw them" in there of course but you do use that pool once in a while don't you?
    Since you think in layers, is there a "ground", a depth that has a limit, is there a point where you've shed all your "layers" and there is nothing more to see there?
    (Just trying to see if there is a "limit" to depth...in people's opinion.)

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Dwigie View Post
    Yeah, me neither but some people do, that's just "how they roll".
    Since you think in layers, is there a "ground", a depth that has a limit, is there a point where you've shed all your "layers" and there is nothing more down there?
    There is no depth limit. There's always a different perspective. Reality only exists as we perceive it. What is true is whatever is not on your list. Ultimate reality is always what is just beyond our perception. Even if you perceive everything, the perception of not-perceiving is beyond your grasp.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Dwigie View Post
    I kind of categorize, I just categorize naturally and I'll admit there's something a bit wrong to that =>"judging people".
    But for this topic for some reason it rarely occurs.
    Honestly though, don't you ever categorize a little? Now that you've made your two pools you're going to use them right? Someone's going to fall in these two categories in your opinion. I don't mean to say that you look around for people and "throw them" in there of course but you do use that pool once in a while don't you?
    Since you think in layers, is there a "ground", a depth that has a limit, is there a point where you've shed all your "layers" and there is nothing more to see there?
    There arn't two catagories though. If anything, it's a continuum. There can be more than two layers; layers can be added and piled up into a mountain or slowly stripped away into a valley, ect.

I don't really pass any judgement on where people stand because communicating with people is always a fairly inconsistent process. I'm not neccesarily hearing everything they are thinking, they arn't neccesarily articulating every thought they try to speak, and I'm not neccesarily understanding everything they articulate. To some degree you can tell how people are thinking and everything, but I don't concern myself too much with it... it's more like I let it happen and if it turns out to be "deep" or have layers or whatever then I take it (or leave it) for what it is.