• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF General Discussion Thread

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
There you go runnin' off at the mouth again SH!

I used to have a high-stress job and sometimes on the drive home I'd scream to relieve tension. One day after work I looked in my rearview mirror and saw the woman behind me, a very self-contained, quiet and efficient social worker had her mouth wide open in an apparent bellow.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Am I the only NF who talks to himself - uh - when they're angry enough to dump on someone else?

I talk a lot to myself when I'm angry. I also go through discussions that have made me mad and think about how I should have done or said. Or I might imagine the next discussion with the annoying person and think up the best ways to get my point across (or insult them).

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Hee. Now that I think about it, that's probably what I was doing, after all. Singing. Yeah. Singing.

I was reading in a couple of debate threads tonight and wondering why they strike me as stilted. And it came to me:

When I was in college taking classes to teach me how to be a teacher (which, by the way don't help much in the long run. Learning by doing is better, for me.) Anyway. I remember thinking that people who spend a lot of time telling people what they shouldn't believe are as tiresome to me as people who collar me on the street and tell me what I should believe.

Walk into a classroom full of kids and presenting yourself as the ultimate authority and that you are going to prove to them why they are misguided (read dumb) is a good way to close every ear in the room pronto. And probably also to have a tough time maintaining any semblance of learning atmosphere.

People, and as I remember students usually fit into that category, like to present their ideas and have them considered with respect. So do teachers, by the way. So how does anybody learn anything by being told they are wrong? As I remember, they usually don't.

That's what bums me out about debate. It's an interesting art form and some do it very well, probably to keep their brains well exercised and limber, but I doubt that anyone is ever converted, pro or con, by attempts to prove superiority over them.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Nolla, I just came back to watch the whole video.

No, that wasn't what my decompressing looked like. That was what the job looked like!

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
That's what bums me out about debate. It's an interesting art form and some do it very well, probably to keep their brains well exercised and limber, but I doubt that anyone is ever converted, pro or con, by attempts to prove superiority over them.

Reasoning as a way to prove yourself superior. I guess I haven't thought about it like that. I know I do it myself sometimes. I value some of my own ideas enough to make them part of me. Then it will be like I was defending myself and not my ideas. It helps when you think about how improbable it is you could have a unique idea...

Nolla, I just came back to watch the whole video.

No, that wasn't what my decompressing looked like. That was what the job looked like!

You watched the whole video?! I guess I'll have to watch it too...

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I talk a lot to myself when I'm angry. I also go through discussions that have made me mad and think about how I should have done or said. Or I might imagine the next discussion with the annoying person and think up the best ways to get my point across (or insult them).

SO Glad to know this is a lot more common than I originally thought.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
As a Feeler, I am continually amazed by Ftards.

Example - today I went to have minor surgery on my nose. The surgery is done is stages and they send the patient out to wait in between. They started very early this morning, so after the first stage, my husband and I went to the cafeteria for a little breakfast (for him) and a coffee (for me).

We were standing in the line - mind you at the time I had a large bandage on my nose - when I started feeling a little faint, so I told him I was going to sit down and could he please get me a coffee. Then he said "But the coffee is right over there."

How can someone be so un-Feeling? I'm not saying he's unkind or anything, he just doesn't get it. He didn't understand until I spelled it out for him why I wanted him to get my coffee for me.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
People say that talking to yourself is the first sign of insanity.

I say Not talking to yourself is the first sign of insanity. I do it all the time and I'm just fi....
Oh wait, there was that one time that I :angry:

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
As a Feeler, I am continually amazed by Ftards.

Example - today I went to have minor surgery on my nose. The surgery is done is stages and they send the patient out to wait in between. They started very early this morning, so after the first stage, my husband and I went to the cafeteria for a little breakfast (for him) and a coffee (for me).

We were standing in the line - mind you at the time I had a large bandage on my nose - when I started feeling a little faint, so I told him I was going to sit down and could he please get me a coffee. Then he said "But the coffee is right over there."

How can someone be so un-Feeling? I'm not saying he's unkind or anything, he just doesn't get it. He didn't understand until I spelled it out for him why I wanted him to get my coffee for me.

Oh dear. Ohdearohdearohdear. This sounds agonizingly familiar. . . :hug:

My problem is that I make the assumption that it's obvious and then misunderstanding develops. Trying to get more acclimated to recognizing that some people need it spelled out and that I need to speak the "obvious."

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
What the hell happened with the forum. I come in today and almost all of the NF board has been bumbed??? :huh:

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I believe it was one person responding to a bunch of threads.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Do you ever type posts and then delete them? I did that just now in this thread, and now I'm writing this post instead. Just like in real life, I'm not sure if by opening my mouth I am achieving anything...