User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    They have urges they cant fight? It's a bit hard for me to imagine how they might see it. Is it the same for them as jaywalking is for me? "Nobody's watching so why not?"
    Reading about what is known about it, it is their own immature sexuality that causes the urges to begin with. It feels normal and natural to them, hence they have a hard time seeing anything wrong with it. They think they are showing affection and positive attention to the child. They really have a distorted view of what's natural.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    .. I wonder what Jack Flak would have to say on all this >.o Oh well! His fault not being an NF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak
    Yeah, I love NFs since they are so fluffy; their general discussion turned to child abuse in an instant.
    As usual, I faked that quote...

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Personally I don't see how there is any comparison between mutual homosexual relationships and pedophilia or necrophilia or what have you. I just don't get it. It seems more like an excuse to not let gays marry than an actual plausible social concern.
    Yes, this is exactly what I should have said. (You know, when sometimes the IDEA of what you want to say is obvious to you, but you don't find the way to say it)

heart on fire

I see it different. It is plausible that other groups will try to use the passage of same sex marriage to promote their agendas with, but it is up to society to set limits on this. It's a valid concern but not a valid reason to deny gay marriage.

We're trained to think in such either or terms and sometimes life just isn't either or.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

So it is about society having fear that society doesn't know where to set the limit?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    So it is about society having fear that society doesn't know where to set the limit?
    It is a persuasion tact. If they can get someone to admit that it is logical that other groups with nefarious agendas might use same sex marriage as a springboard for their own agendas, then people will say "well, then this same sex marriage is a bad idea because it gives an opening to these other groups."

Then a person either has to deny the possibility that these groups would use the issue or they have to say okay no same sex marriage.

But these are not the only two choices yet people allow the media to frame the questions of every single debate that faces us and allow their minds to be trained to focus in on "It's A or B" type choices.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I see it different. It is plausible that other groups will try to use the passage of same sex marriage to promote their agendas with, but it is up to society to set limits on this. It's a valid concern but not a valid reason to deny gay marriage.

We're trained to think in such either or terms and sometimes life just isn't either or.
    It's a valid concern that the groups will try to use it as leverage, yes, but it is not a concern that they will be able to come up with any reasonable and comparable arguments to make any real political or social progress. I also can't imagine that enough of the general population would support, for example, a group like NAMBLA and it's agenda in the greater sense of the law... it's just way too much of a niche. I don't think it is a real issue at all, and as you said, certainly not enough to deny gay marriage.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    But these are not the only two choices yet people allow the media to frame the questions of every single debate that faces us and allow their minds to be trained to focus in on "It's A or B" type choices.
    Well, it is always best for the people with majority support to use this strategy.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    It's a valid concern that the groups will try to use it as leverage, yes, but it is not a concern that they will be able to come up with any reasonable and comparable arguments to make any real political or social progress. I also can't imagine that enough of the general population would support, for example, a group like NAMBLA and it's agenda in the greater sense of the law... it's just way too much of a niche. I don't think it is a real issue at all, and as you said, certainly not enough to deny gay marriage.
    Many people can be massively swayed through TV and fiction to let go of that which previously was considered taboo, it takes time though.
    Many people will also listen to what anyone considered to be an expert says. That which is unreasonable can be accepted by many people if one is able to sandwich it convincingly in between two layers of reasonbility. They grasp the truth and cannot let go of the chafe in between.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

...And this is the only reason we go to school for so long time. To not let the Man get us.