User Tag List

First 816171819 Last

Results 171 to 180 of 190

  1. #171
    Senior Member bighairything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Okay, I need to rant here, because my ENTP father told me this morning that he never wants to see me ever again, and I thought that was rather harsh.

    In the past I stopped speaking to him for seven years, but I never said I didn't want to see him again ever. There were things he could have done to get me to talk to him, but he was too fucking retarded to work it out. So I thought fuck it, I'll start building bridges with him because he's never going to work it out and one day he'll be dead and I'll feel bad if I don't. But like a spoilt brat he'd throw tantrums because he wanted everything exactly like he wanted them, right away.

    He could have had things as he wanted them if he hadn't been so stupid in the past. But he has no grasp that the laws of cause and effect come into play in your dealings with other people. On my first trip to see him after we started talking again he asked me why I was seeing him. I answered "karma". He took that very badly because he wanted me to want to see him. But what the fuck did he expect? After all those years we would embrace each other in some teary reunion? Real life doesn't work like that, and if he had any sense he would take what he was given and work with that rather than push me away.

    And there's the rub. My problems with NTs are not that they conform to the stereotype of emotionless automatons, but when they do get emotional they are so fucking retarded. It's like they're emotionally incontinent. They can't control themselves. He suffers greatly from having poor relationships with his children, but he can't help himself. I feel bad for him because he's the one that suffers most.

    [Okay, all that was generalisation from just one ENTP, but like I said, I needed to rant]

  2. #172
    Reptilian Snuggletron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    10
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighairything View Post
    Okay, I need to rant here, because my ENTP father told me this morning that he never wants to see me ever again, and I thought that was rather harsh.

    In the past I stopped speaking to him for seven years, but I never said I didn't want to see him again ever. There were things he could have done to get me to talk to him, but he was too fucking retarded to work it out. So I thought fuck it, I'll start building bridges with him because he's never going to work it out and one day he'll be dead and I'll feel bad if I don't. But like a spoilt brat he'd throw tantrums because he wanted everything exactly like he wanted them, right away.

    He could have had things as he wanted them if he hadn't been so stupid in the past. But he has no grasp that the laws of cause and effect come into play in your dealings with other people. On my first trip to see him after we started talking again he asked me why I was seeing him. I answered "karma". He took that very badly because he wanted me to want to see him. But what the fuck did he expect? After all those years we would embrace each other in some teary reunion? Real life doesn't work like that, and if he had any sense he would take what he was given and work with that rather than push me away.

    And there's the rub. My problems with NTs are not that they conform to the stereotype of emotionless automatons, but when they do get emotional they are so fucking retarded. It's like they're emotionally incontinent. They can't control themselves. He suffers greatly from having poor relationships with his children, but he can't help himself. I feel bad for him because he's the one that suffers most.

    [Okay, all that was generalisation from just one ENTP, but like I said, I needed to rant]

  3. #173
    half-nut member briochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    637

    Default

    I have a love-hate feeling toward NTs that's for sure.

    I crush on them hard core. There's no one I fall for faster than a scientist/nerd.

    At the same time I hate hate HATE when they get all cocky/argumentative/STUPID about things. Some can be mean. Some I've met have bored me nearly to tears, or given me a creepy social-retard vibe. Some are unbelievable asses and then sensitive to boot. Really, if you tell me I'm ugly and annoying and unfeminine, and then tell me that there's an opening at your work, I'm gonna turn it down. What happened to the logic?
    But, I get the feeling that they weren't balanced personality types.

    Most NTs I meet are like a fantastic mystery. I know there's all sorts of nougaty goodness inside them if I can just get to it!

    It depends on the person but usually I adore the NT or I can't stand the NT.
    -Brio

    "I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt
    ___________________

  4. #174
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    Yeah, this.. damn, hope you're feeling alright about the situation or can come to terms with it.


    My problem? They pick. And pick. And pick again! They're pretty much elated if they think they can find a lynchpin in your worldview and forcefully extract it. I mean, you're wrong, and that's somehow the most important thing in the world, right?

    What's great is when that lynchpin wasn't a lynchpin at all; rather, just one of many blocks in a pretty well-structured stack of Jenga pieces. Congratulations; you've just corrected something that's pretty much inconsequential.

    Oh, yeah, and if I refuse to play the game, somehow I've lost. Too bad the game is somehow always on their terms; they always have the home field advantage. Might it be that not everyone is interested in debating in the first place? "No, that's never the case, because everyone must surely see the world in the same way that I do.. a constant battlefield of logical ideas and baseless rhetoric!"

    Go ahead; prod me about my beliefs or positions, then proceed to criticize them. Then expect me to trust you with them in the future. I dare you.


    I think the great philosopher James Wilson put it best when he said the following:

    "Has it ever occurred to you that when I don't share something, it might not be meant as a challenge? It might just mean that I'd like there to be one molecule of my life that goes unexamined by Gregory House."

  5. #175
    Senior Member bighairything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    Yeah, this.. damn, hope you're feeling alright about the situation or can come to terms with it.
    Thanks guys. To be honest I just needed to rant a bit on Saturday, but I knew he didn't really mean what he said. He's annoying, but I've known that for a long time so smoothed things over with him on Sunday.

  6. #176
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,594

    Default

    This by no means applies to NTs in general, and can apply to a variety of types. Both of these trends are part of modern cultural thinking, but are justified in some MBTI applications leaning in the direction of NT categories. There are two tendencies that I've seen that can cause communication problems.

    The first is when the reasoning in a position is achieved and made solid through dismissing any information that conflicts with it, but is still affecting the system. This is like building a solid house on the side of a hill made of sandstone that geologists have determined is going to give way in a mud slide. The house may be engineered with a solid foundation, but that becomes meaningless when the mudslide occurs. The lack of holistic thinking can produce solid arguments that are flawed, but those flaws cannot be addressed until the underlying problem of irrational dismissal of information acting on the system is accepted. This is also the approach to reason in modern, corporate society.

    The second issue has resulted in part from the implications on some of the MBTI tests:
    1. I am warm hearted and loving
    2. I am cold and logical
    How does a stupid mean person answer this question? This disassociation between reason and empathy is arbitrary. It makes people who disregard the feelings/well-being of others to assume they are logical and even intelligent. It is applied in MBTI, but represents a larger trend in culture that is founded on simple social dominance and equates intelligence=power, and being mean=power (at least short-term and parasitic until it kills its host) forcing a correlation in an attempt to increase its impact. People deliberately act as mean* as they can to appear intelligent? The absurdity of this amazes me, but I stepped back and realized that if all the people who discount the well-being of others started internalizing reason as part of their identity, maybe it is constructive? Maybe in the end it will make them a reasonable person and not socially destructive? It still seems worth pointing out the correlation problem.

    *I'm not referring to being direct and blunt in debate which can be associated with reasoning and focusing on ideas, or to jokes, but I am referring to violent references and deliberate humiliation of others for the specific purpose of hurting them and excessive anger as "mean".
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  7. #177
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    The second issue has resulted in part from the implications on some of the MBTI tests:
    1. I am warm hearted and loving
    2. I am cold and logical
    How does a stupid mean person answer this question?
    Haha, this is what gets me about this whole business, too.

    There was an incident a while back when I thought I was ENTP, where I answered a Socionics test and got IEE (ENFp). I proceeded to question the questions on the basis that nobody would answer them as a T would if they had any consideration toward other people at all.. that, surely, I couldn't be an ethical (feeling) type just because I have that kind of consideration.. I thought, "doesn't everybody?"

    Months later, I actually did (re)discover ENFP (and IEE, for that matter) as my own type.



    But it turns out that there are people who test as T, meaning that what we believe to be "stupid, mean" is actually a viable mindset for some. I suppose we just have to understand and accept that, and also know that our own mindset is just as strange to them as theirs is to ours.

  8. #178
    Senior Member pyramid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    102

    Wink

    NTs might not consider many options, just the logical one (and if that option doesn't work they might as well abandon ship)

    are routinized; they can lack some spontaneity

    they manhandle sensitive situations

    more withdrawn

    not so romantic, might not understand a poetic gesture

  9. #179
    Senior Member pyramid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighairything View Post
    Thanks guys. To be honest I just needed to rant a bit on Saturday, but I knew he didn't really mean what he said. He's annoying, but I've known that for a long time so smoothed things over with him on Sunday.


    hey I am glad things are mending, my mom's not an NT but she told me I'd "be the death of her" and told me she didn't want to see me unless I had a job

    sigh--parents. Love you and how?

  10. #180
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Nt's can be arrogant, assuming that every one wants to be them, when frankly am so happy im an nf i cant express it

    Nt's are dick-wads. Theres no getting around it.

    Nt's can't see the world any other way but theirs.

Similar Threads

  1. How do you get structure in your life?
    By Bamboo in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 11:36 PM
  2. [NT] NTs: How do you get down?
    By Wind Up Rex in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 02:54 PM
  3. [ENTJ] ENTJ, how do you get back on track when you've lost yourself to your worse functions?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 08:54 PM
  4. [NT] How do NTs experience crushes?
    By Usehername in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 01:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO