• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP b****es?

heart

heart on fire
I'm gonna hang tough on this one. Aggression is not a healthy state.

Perhaps you mean assertiveness?

If one is being charged by an angry black bear, I think aggression is the only healthy state one could be in. :shock:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm gonna hang tough on this one. Aggression is not a healthy state.

Perhaps you mean assertiveness?

Violence solves everything, other solutions only get less people hurt.

Oleander

MBTI Type
INFP
If one is being charged by an angry black bear, I think aggression is the only healthy state one could be in. :shock:

No - total panic is probably better. You vs angry black bear - I don't think so :run:

It's not really aggression you're talking about there anyway. Sadly, I reckon that unless you are that sort of person, all the martial arts in the world won't do you a ha'poth of good unless you're a Master because you think and Mugger acts.

Also sadly, I feel that all too often, especially in 'business', aggression becomes confused with assertiveness. Assertiveness really depends on respect, aggression substitutes for respect. All that I've ever seen about 'assertiveness training' misses the point that it deals with reasonable people in reasonable situations. Where you need to stand up for yourself is with unreasonable people in unreasonable situations.

There's an obscure 1971 film called Skin Game where James Garner and Louis Gossett work a scam selling Gossett as a slave whom Garner then contrives to free and they split the profit. It all works well until Texas where Gossett is forced to deliver a long speech in best Boston American explaining how he was born in New Jersey where there has never been slavery. His owner's reaction (whose own accent is thicker than Mississipi mud) is "That be the craziest thang Ah ever did hyah, a Nigra talk like a fancy Wawshingtone pole-i-tishian" and nothing else gets through. (I often feel the same on some forums!)

So what good assertiveness when you're talking to a raving bigot?

heart

heart on fire
Animal experts will tell you, faced with a charging bear or cougar the best thing is NOT to panic, but to stand your ground, make yourself as large as possible (use coat etc) and ROAR and SHOUT, throw rocks. Worse thing to do is run because it triggers reflex action to pounce on you.

Survive a mountain lion attack! Some tips on how to stay alive in the wild.

If attacked, do not run, cower or try to make yourself small, as this will only encourage the lion.

Your best defenses are: try to appear larger to the animal (stay upright and hold your hands above your head); yell calmly but loudly; throw rocks or limbs (do not bend over to pick them up). Small children are most vulnerable to attack.

If you’re accompanying children during a mountain lion attack, hold them as high as you can and away from the attack.

Remain as calm as possible but fight back with all you've got, including your fists.

oleander said:
It's not really aggression you're talking about there anyway.

Umm, yeah it is.

oleander said:
Sadly, I reckon that unless you are that sort of person, all the martial arts in the world won't do you a ha'poth of good unless you're a Master because you think and Mugger acts.

With that attitude, a person would be a deadman walking from the outset.

Oleander

MBTI Type
INFP
Well let's hope that you have bigger teeth and claws or can at least convince it that you do. You are quite right about response to violence, any normal civilised person is at a disadvantage in modern society where we are aware of responsibility and dangers of being prosecuted for defensive force not being considered reasonable when in former times, "I was attacked" was sufficient explanation for what is now considered murder because reaction exceeded reasonable.

I think this is crap and dangerous crap but it also happens to be the law that if you are attacked, the attacker doesn't give a shit but it's in your mind that pull here, kick there and smash their neck into the railing with the pointy bits on top might end up with you on a murder charge.

So you are at a disadvantage. Your best bet is to be female and claim you were shocked into temporary insanity. If you're male, they'll just call it anger and violence, especially with female assailant.

All the same, Aggression is unwarranted initiatory, reactionary violence is not the same thing. Besides, what about those of us who really loathe to touch people we don't like - such as attackers? Lots of people dislike spiders but how many want to squash a big one with their bare hand? That's how I feel about touching people I detest, such as attackers. Give me a weapon so I don't have to touch the filthy things, then fine, but rather feet than hands otherwise.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
A beatch to me, is someone who purposely steps on others' toes in order to get what they want. They usually could care less about how they get from A to B in order to do so. It's usually 'consciously' premeditated.

A person who's sweet/well intentioned usually doesn't have that kind of pretentiousness.

If anything, whoever called you a you know what, I think it's just them self-projecting.

Far too often, I've seen some of the sweetest people get stepped on/called bad names at the expense of selfish folks who are assholes/bitches themselves.

Your post reminds me of a professor who would ADAMANTLY pick on this female (INFP) classmate of mine. He'd make snide remarks insinuating that she was a b, that she was this/that, and all I could think of was that it was reflective of who he was. She was so shy/vulnerable, I had to stick up for her. Of course it jeopardized my relationship w/him, but I still got the A.

I wouldn't be so hard on myself if I were you. If you were truly a you know what, you wouldn't be here asking this question/finding ways to improve. A bitch could care less.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP

We have a definition problem, heart. No wise person aggressively approaches a bear, but certainly defends himself against one.

How did bears get into this! :hi:

Assertion is the more useful approach to dealing with problematic humans.

Aaaaand, yes, I know there are exceptions.

Okay? Can we give it a rest now?

heart

heart on fire
We have a definition problem, heart. No wise person aggressively approaches a bear, but certainly defends himself against one.

No definition problem on my end, the article states that one should stand and face the bear, shout, throw rocks, it fits with the definition of aggressive:

self-assertion - definition of self-assertion by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
aggression - deliberately unfriendly behavior
self-assertion - the act of asserting yourself in an aggressive manner

How did bears get into this! :hi:

Plenty of human beings out there who act like animals.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well let's hope that you have bigger teeth and claws or can at least convince it that you do.

When I'm in the woods I always carry a few of my knives. One is a folding lock blade, and the other is a kitchen knife in the shape of a samurai sword. I like poker, but I also like my pocket aces when it's my life on the table.

heart

heart on fire
When I'm in the woods I always carry a few of my knives. One is a folding lock blade, and the other is a kitchen knife in the shape of a samurai sword. I like poker, but I also like my pocket aces when it's my life on the table.

I think I'd rather pack some heat in real bear country! :shock: