First 456

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Dwigie View Post
    When someone talks to you, or interacts with you any other way...
    1. You start to imitate their demeanor(ex: talk faster, copy accents..)
    2. Your mood immediately shifts to suit the visitor momentarily..
    3. You feel that their words are "penetrating?" and that you can't escape.
    4. You do your best to make them at "ease".
    But with all that accommodation, as soon as they leave you go on straight to your starting point, whatever that was.
    ^^Basically you develop over 15 facades a day that you shed one after the other and we could say that deep down, none of this has actually affected you in any way?You're pretty "hard and unshakable" in there.
    Oh yeah. I can relate.
    Because of that knack to mirror other personalities, I need some time to myself at the end of the day. A few hours minimum. If I don't get that alone time, I am a very unhappy camper.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Dwigie View Post
    When someone talks to you, or interacts with you any other way...
    1. You start to imitate their demeanor(ex: talk faster, copy accents..)
    2. Your mood immediately shifts to suit the visitor momentarily..
    3. You feel that their words are "penetrating?" and that you can't escape.
    4. You do your best to make them at "ease".
    But with all that accommodation, as soon as they leave you go on straight to your starting point, whatever that was.
    ^^Basically you develop over 15 facades a day that you shed one after the other and we could say that deep down, none of this has actually affected you in any way?You're pretty "hard and unshakable" in there.
    This relates to me a lot.
    It may have to do with:
    a. Sensitivity: Some people are more aware of other people's emotions and want to accomodate the other person. I read in a psychology magazine that there are "sensitisers" who are naturally influenced by people's emotions and "senders" who easily influence other peoples' emotions. We apparently tend to lead to one side or the other. It could be an introvert/extrovert thing.
    b. Lack of confidence: The person assumes that they can't be liked if they assert their true self, so they project a favorable impression of themselves [which changes depending on the person].

I did this for a long time without even realizing it. It felt natural at the time because I was showing different aspects of my true personality. Still, when I would find someone I could truly be myself with, it'd feel like I had been holding my breath for a really long time. I think that changing your personality depending on who you are with is somewhat natural, but it isn't healthy in the extreme. As I've become more confident, I've become more consistant, because I see that people like me for who I am.

I DO find people who don't accomodate others rude. You needen't be swayed or supressed by other people's opinions; there is a balance here. But if you're doing something in a: "I know that I'm bothering you and I don't care" fashion, that's not a sign of a person who respects themself. If you respect yourself, then you tend to respect other people. In my opinion, at least.
    Everybody needs love.

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm in sales, I mimic personalities all day long. You can call it a facade, acting, adaptation, etc. I see it as a skill. It can be very useful but not something you want to do for long periods of time because it will drain your energy.

P.S. Be very mindful of what rude actually is. There are a lot of people out there who are blunt and devoid of pleasantries, who speak in a monotone fashion and have little or no facial expression. Your first impression is that they are rude but they really aren't, sometimes you have to keep talking to them to find this out.
    The rude ones will make themselves apparent very quickly, you can tell by the tone of their voice, their body language, their facial expressions and their words. Sometimes this is some kind of front they're using. If you maintain your sweet attitude as if they can't phase you they will sometimes let their guard down and act normal. However, some rude people are just nasty to the core, you have to stand your ground or cut them loose.