First 8910

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post

Rationality evens out irrationality. Balance.
    Exactly the reason for developing the secondary function.

T and F are rational.

S and N are irrational.

If your dominant function is T or F, you need S or N to balance it.

And if your dominant function is S or N, you need T or F to balance it.

Maybe that's why it would seem like Te would be a good balance for the ENFPs dominant Ne---but wait a second.....

You want to be balanced on introversion/extraversion as well, don't you?

So, if your dominant function is introverted, you need the balancing influence of a secondary function that's extraverted.

And if your dominant function is extraverted, you need the balancing influence of a secondary function that's introverted.

It's true that you will develop your inferior functions as go though life, because you will be faced with situations which force you to use them.

But in order to function with maximum efficiency and integrity, you will need to rely most heavily on a union between your dominant and secondary functions.

It's too tempting to stay in extraverted mode all the time if you're an extravert, and in introverted mode all the time if youre an introvert.

A conscious effort to develop introversion is critical for extraverts.
    And a conscious effort to develop extraversion is critical for introverts.

And any attempt to develop your inferior functions to the level of your dominant and secondary will fail.

Even if you could do it, you would just lack integrity, and be "all over the place."

When under stress, you may temporarily alleviate anxiety by relying on your tertiary function, but you'll "lose yourself" in the process.

Again---I'm not saying this is the Gospel Truth, but it is actually based on what I've learned from some tangible sources, and it makes sense to me.

I'm just providing information.

But you can always take it or leave it.

In the end, it's all up to you. Best of luck.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    Ok, but I don't understand your conception of how functions work---or why you seem to think that developing inferior functions is equally important as developing the secondary function.
    Well maybe it's because my Fi is practically the same strentgh as my Ne. But no actually...it just makes sense to me to work on our achilles heels if possible. I'm not proposing living in your shadow and being miserable. Just acknowledging the other side at times. Example..."oh my...I love my Ne! So many wonderful opportunities. I wanna do this my way". But there are a slew of situations in life where there is a tried and tested method that is common knowledge (Si) and we will always shun it for adventure or defiance's sake. As you probably know, that's not always the best course of action.

And what exactly do you mean by my conception of how functions work?

I'm not saying that Lenore Thomson or the other sources I'm drawing from are unquestionably correct---but I do have some tangible sources, and what they say makes sense to me.
    I haven't read any books on the subject, but the way I see it, if they are no Myers or Briggs, their thoughts on the subject aren't any more tangible than my own personal experience.

Then there is subjectivity. Ok, work on your Fi. Forget about Te. You can become the best version of yourself...but if you get stressed you will still become the worse version of yourself since your Te hasn't been developed.

If I work on my Te I'm simply balancing stuff out. They are two ways to look at it and I don't see why one would necessarily be better than the other, objectively speaking. My opinion though is that I would think learning to become better when under stress is paramount. Oh, yeah, I'm assuming one always uses Te when under stress. If that weren't the case, then it would seem logical for it to be pretty simple to just use Ne and Fi the whole time.

Is there anything you can point me to so I can understand your point of view?

Do you have any sources?

I'm having difficulty following your explanations.
    If you could pinpoint what parts of my reasoning make no sense to you, I would gladly provide further explanation. But I'm afraid that my views are basically my way of trying to make sense out of the whole thing by myself, pretty much. I'm not claiming to be right, here. In fact I don't even think there is a right and wrong here. It really only depends on what exactly you are trying to achieve.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post

I'm afraid that my views are basically my way of trying to make sense out of the whole thing by myself, pretty much.
    That's why it's so hard to follow, and why I just can't bother with it anymore.

Good luck on your journey.

I have other things to do.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    ISFJ

Exactly the reason for developing the secondary function.

T and F are rational.

S and N are irrational.
    I would say S and N are arational as opposed to irrational. It's how we take in the information. T and F make judgements based on that info, so yeah in that sense they are both rational. There's a reasoning. But in the part you quoted, I meant rational as in logical. F is inherently more biased than T is it not? We all have a bit of both of course.

If your dominant function is T or F, you need S or N to balance it.

And if your dominant function is S or N, you need T or F to balance it.
    Well...your dominant function's strength will always be bigger than that of your secondary function. But I don't know if I necessarily agree with that... a Se dominant can still try and achieve balance by using Ni, for example. Harder of course.

Maybe that's why it would seem like Te would be a good balance for the ENFPs dominant Ne---but wait a second.....

You want to be balanced on introversion/extraversion as well, don't you?
    Do I? lol

So, if your dominant function is introverted, you need the balancing influence of a secondary function that's extraverted.

And if your dominant function is extraverted, you need the balancing influence of a secondary function that's introverted.
    That is true yes. But your top two functions aren't the sole definers of your personality. Is an ENFP a fool for trying to force himself to be more of a planner and more methodical? Or is he achieving balance while doing so (life is all about trying different approaches isn't it?)?

It's true that you will develop your inferior functions as go though life, because you will be faced with situations which force you to use them.

But in order to function with maximum efficiency and integrity, you will need to rely most heavily on a union between your dominant and secondary functions.
    I don't disagree that they are the two most important functions. I mean...they come naturally to us. But again...there's probably a reason why older versions of ourselves (with developed inferior functions) are considered more mature than us wouldn't you agree?

And any attempt to develop your inferior functions to the level of your dominant and secondary will fail.
    Agreed. I did not mean to imply that that would ever be possible.

When under stress, you may temporarily alleviate anxiety by relying on your tertiary function, but you'll "lose yourself" in the process.
    Ah...but what if you learned to be at peace with that side of you more often? What if you indulged in healthy use of Te and learned to hone that side of you?

Again---I'm not saying this is the Gospel Truth, but it is actually based on what I've learned from some tangible sources, and it makes sense to me.

I'm just providing information.

But you can always take it or leave it.

In the end, it's all up to you. Best of luck.

lol, I'm providing information myself. My jaded Ti tells me to be weary of anyone claiming to know about a certain topic unless I can see it. So I challenge everything. Even what Myers or Briggs would have to say on the subject. And enough with the take it or leave it attitude. Brainstorming, man

EDIT :

That's why it's so hard to follow, and why I just can't bother with it anymore.

Good luck on your journey.

I have other things to do.

Keep honing that Fi.