User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Project Runway - Kenley, INFJ

Anybody watch Project Runway?

I have a strong reaction to Kenley whom I believe is an INFJ, Enneagram 4. When I see her drama unfold, I get a knot in my stomach because it feels so familiar. I can see why INFJ4s can be a turnoff to others. Everything about her...even though she is much younger than me is so true to the way I operate in life.

It's interesting to watch another INFJ in action, especially under stress. I do those same things - accuse others of not understanding me, then I isolate from the pack, shooting side-eye venom at them, but wanting to have real connections with others.

I think Kenley is a great study for those of us who deal with these issues, and so rarely have the opportunity to observe the behavior as there are so few of us (at least on tv).

Last night Tim Gunn visited the remaining four finalists at home. I was struck by the fact that Kenley was the only contestant who didn't have one friend or family member to introduce Tim Gunn to. Kenley was so successful at pushing away EVERYONE on the show, it wouldn't be hard to believe she does the same thing in real life. I know I do. And as I get older it's so much harder to undo the damage.

Anyway, if you can catch this whole season from beginning to end, Kenley's a great study for those interested.

^Which season? I'll need to go to youtube..

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by sade View Post
    ^Which season? I'll need to go to youtube..
    here is a snippet of her in action
    Kenley vs. The World | Videos | Project Runway

Glycerine

She must be an immature INFJ then. She always rubs me the wrong way. Ughh...I can't stand her on the show.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Definately a maybe, not a very mature one that girl..
    I'm not a type 4 (actually 5.. or 9, not very familiar with the enneagram),
    but she does seem like one on a quick glance.
    I can't really relate to her. Despite the fact that she's 5 years older than me, she seems much younger.. but her level of self defence, isolating herself, strong opposite views compared to others do seem somewhat familiar. I'm reminded of the 12 yo me. *shudder* I may be wrong, no insult ment.

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    What the..?

MBTI
    INFJ

It seems Kenley is perceived as immature because she takes the criticism about her garments very personally and shoots back at others.

I guess I don't understand other INFJs not relating to this. I would think this is a common reaction to criticism for an INFJ.

^ She gets pretty aggressive in her selfdefence, nearly shuts her ears and refuses to listen. It is hard to listen to criticism about something that is very important to you, but an adult needs to know how to deal with it a bit better. Not all criticism is bad, even if it's hard to deal with.
    For another thing: I for one am a really calm person to the outside world, how I think at least some INFJs seem like too, so it's hard for me to relate to outbursts. I do grumble inside my mind and can get moody, but it's not something that can be seen from the outside, unless you know me really well.

And to lighten up the mood: lunch anyone?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by sade View Post
    ^ She gets pretty aggressive in her selfdefence, nearly shuts her ears and refuses to listen. It is hard to listen to criticism about something that is very important to you, but an adult needs to know how to deal with it a bit better. Not all criticism is bad, even if it's hard to deal with.
    For another thing: I for one am a really calm person to the outside world, how I think at least some INFJs seem like too, so it's hard for me to relate to outbursts. I do grumble inside my mind and can get moody, but it's not something that can be seen from the outside, unless you know me really well.

And to lighten up the mood: lunch anyone?
    I think INFJs go from quiet most of the time, to quietly seething, to crazy emotional outbursts if something is particularly upsetting to them. To say that it's 'immaturity' rather than the personality under stress is unfair, (even for Kenley). For me...my demeanor could never ever be described as calm. I'm a quiet person, but I'm a very passionate individual. I'm more like a contained ball of fire. But the INFPs I know are calm and willowy in the midst of a hurricane.