• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] A question for fellow INFP's (and anyone else who wants to butt in)

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I wanted to know how you feel about organisation in your life.

For instance I hate being messy, I detest being unorganised, I abhor being unprepared, I can't stand not knowing what my next plan is and yet I am messy, I am unorganised, I am unprepared and I never know what I might do next.

Yet I am happiest when there is a weekly menu up on the wall so that I know what I'm cooking each day and what food I need to stock in preparation, I am happiest when I make monthly budgets and everything goes according to plan. I thrive at my most organised yet I burn out too quickly trying to do those things. I manage a couple of months of being in control in my life and than I sink back to doing nothing and becoming miserable at having no control again.

Do any other INFP's feel happier when they are organised?

Last edited:

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I like having structure in my life only to the extent that it can eliminate the need to bother thinking about details I don't particularly care about. As soon as it starts causing me to become preoccupied with said details, I ditch it.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I like having structure in my life only to the extent that it can eliminate the need to bother thinking about details I don't particularly care about. As soon as it starts forcing me to become preoccupied with said details, I ditch it.

Ah so that's why I like the oraganised part? it does seem to ensure I don't spend each day stressing about what food to cook, or what to do with my days. I hate the mundane details of day to day life as a parent.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Ah so that's why I like the oraganised part? it does seem to ensure I don't spend each day stressing about what food to cook, or what to do with my days. I hate the mundane details of day to day life as a parent.

I dunno if that's why you like being organized, but it's the main reason I persist with attempts to organize myself, as well as being my criteria for what it means to "be organized".

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I dunno if that's why you like being organized, but it's the main reason I persist with attempts to organize myself, as well as my criteria for what it means to "be organized".

Hey, I said I because it resonated with me too :cool:, made alot of sense and I was surprised I hadn't made the connection.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why, yes, as a matter of fact I do like to have my stuff organized. What a surprise! :banana:

But I like your interpretation of it.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I've never ever been organized. I remember back in school I would be the kid looking in his backpack for 30 minutes after the teacher asked for us to turn in an assignment.

I never thought being messy was a big deal and i never minded it but it seems like me being messy caused my mom and teachers stress and so I began to feel bad because of it.

I could be organized for maybe a week or two, but like you said I always fell right back out of that routine. It does feel nice to clean up a room thats been messy for 2 months. Seems like as I clean up I'm cleaning up the clutter from my brain as well.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I've never ever been organized. I remember back in school I would be the kid looking in his backpack for 30 minutes after the teacher asked for us to turn in an assignment.

I never thought being messy was a big deal and i never minded it but it seems like me being messy caused my mom and teachers stress and so I began to feel bad because of it.

I could be organized for maybe a week or two, but like you said I always fell right back out of that routine. It does feel nice to clean up a room thats been messy for 2 months. Seems like as I clean up I'm cleaning up the clutter from my brain as well.

When I was younger organisation wasn't an issue either, life could be lived flying from the seat of my pants and tomorrow didn't matter until it happened. I wasn't overly messy but I wouldn't knock myself out trying to do chores all the time.

I think as you get older the details of life begin to mount up and organisation seems necessary at that stage, without it it becomes chaos.

I need a butler, a maid, a chef and a knight in shining armour then I could get back to being unorganised without guilt. :newwink:

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Yes, the older I get the more I realize the neccesity of organization in my life. I'm not sure how I am going to implement it in my life....but I'm trying.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Not surprisingly I can agree with much of what has been said. When I was doing the nine to five I was hyperorganized. Lists everywhere. It was a necessity or I'd have trouble staying on task.

As much of a release of burden the lists provided for me I can equally say it's a relief to not have them dictating my life anymore.

There is a sort of paradoxical organization in my disorganization, I think. I may keep a list on my refrigerator of meals which I can make with the items available but I tend to select from it by whim rather than systematically.

I keep a list in my kitchen of the kinds of household tasks which need to be done once or twice a year and select from that as I feel inclined, as well.

I do know that without some kind of an external cue my life can rapidly become overwhelming in the management department.

snowflurri

MBTI Type
INFP
In the past I TRIED to be organised but in the end it didn't really work XD

Being disorganised sometimes bothers me but not enough to make me start organising things.

I don't like it that I have to follow a certain set of 'rules' that I've set for myself or do the same things all the time.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I like having purpose and ambition, but not neccesarily in a structured or organized way. It's more that I just need something I think I just need to do before I sleep that night... not schedules or deadlines, just sheer purpose and direction.

heart

heart on fire
I don't like being boxed in or having someone else's agenda pressed on me, part of being free from other's agendas involves planning and that the interest I have in making plans, how to keep my life free from the invasion of others.

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
Similar to everyone else, I always try to be organized, yet can't keep my stuff straight. Its much easier for me to keep a running list in my head about what I have to do than to write it down a board or sheet of paper. That way, it becomes much easier to enact any changes to what I've planned out. IDK, I just can't stand having my entire day scripted (even though it'd surely be easier).

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I LOVE making lists and rewriting the whole list when one thing changes.

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Organization is sometimes described too aesthetically.

If things are messy, but you can find everything, then I would call that organized.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Organization is sometimes described too aesthetically.

If things are messy, but you can find everything, then I would call that organized.

Yes, this is true. A good example of this distinction is with me, because I will arrange the exterior (or visible part) of my abode such that everything is straight, the angles match up, and it appears to be clean and organized, but I'll be damned if I can find where anything actually is.