• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] A question for fellow INFP's (and anyone else who wants to butt in)

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I don't like having a lot organized on purpose. I just wing it when it comes to most things. Sometimes I'll just do what I feel like in the moment, like cleaning. I hate cleaning, but if I'm in the mood or a zone then I'll do it.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
You should see my room and my desk :D

I only organize to get my thoughts in order and to give myself some workspace, or to keep from tripping over my guitar/amp/clothespile (I dont even bother putting clean clothes in the dresser.... too much effort for something so simple.)

Sometimes I reorganize to keep things fresh, too.

For schoolwork I HAVE to organize or I just wander around mentally and never get anything done :cheese:

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I've gotten caught up with this too: I feel better when things are straightened up, say my room for instance, and I'll usually spend a few minutes just straightening up. I don't mind being messy, but being disorganized kind of bugs me. It happens at school: when I am not organized with what homework I need to do, I feel uncomfortable.

The thing is, though..I am mesy..I am very disorganized, and I rarely plan things out, if ever..and don't really pay attention when I do simple things. No matter how hard i try to have the mindset of a J towards organizational skills, the harder it is for me to wean away from being the P that I am. It's just who we are, so might as well use to to our benefits, its all we've got to work with, lets do with it what we please :).

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
as long as I know where in the general area it is I'm good. I usually clean up enough to where it's tidy, but too much is just plain silly. I also have to sometimes write anything more than 3 items down so I remember them for when I need to do something about it. I think I need a J in my life to handle these things, just so I can mess with their plans, yet still not have to worry and stress about what I have to do in the next 5 minutes.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I enjoy organizing myself... up to a point. It feels good to get things tidy and in order, but I only have so much energy I can devote to it. Once I use that energy up, I'm DONE with the lists and chaos ensues.

MissMurder

MBTI Type
eSTP
I wanted to know how you feel about organisation in your life.

For instance I hate being messy, I detest being unorganised, I abhor being unprepared, I can't stand not knowing what my next plan is and yet I am messy, I am unorganised, I am unprepared and I never know what I might do next.

Yet I am happiest when there is a weekly menu up on the wall so that I know what I'm cooking each day and what food I need to stock in preparation, I am happiest when I make monthly budgets and everything goes according to plan. I thrive at my most organised yet I burn out too quickly trying to do those things. I manage a couple of months of being in control in my life and than I sink back to doing nothing and becoming miserable at having no control again.

Do any other INFP's feel happier when they are organised?

So, you're your happiest when you operate like an ESTJ? Which is your shadow type.

MissMurder

MBTI Type
eSTP
Good point lol I am actually happiest in my shadow type I just can't maintain it. :yes:

Could that be why we naturally dislike those whose type are our shadows? Perhaps some part of ourselves envies them.

What would I envy about an INFP? I'm too arrogant and disconnected from my emotions to really be able to tell. Plus I can't easily see the big picture. Wait... I think I just summed it up. :D

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
Could that be why we naturally dislike those whose type are our shadows? Perhaps some part of ourselves envies them.

What would I envy about an INFP? I'm too arrogant and disconnected from my emotions to really be able to tell. Plus I can't easily see the big picture. Wait... I think I just summed it up. :D

Jung said that the shadow was the 'royal road to the unconscious' (or something like that!) and that making peace with our shadow was essential for personal growth.

I hate hate hate being a disorganised muppet! I have read countless books on how to organise myself and I'm still bloody useless at it - I write wondrful complicated plans and lists and then lose them :doh:

I think deep down its because I dont really value it - though I admire organised people so much

my best friend is an amazingly organised istj who tells me that she wishes she could be more laid back and easy going like me

grass is always greener...... :huh:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate hate hate being a disorganised muppet! I have read countless books on how to organise myself and I'm still bloody useless at it - I write wondrful complicated plans and lists and then lose them :doh:

Since extroverted thinking is our inferior function, it tends to work as all or nothing. We either throw everything into creating our charts and elaborate plans, even to the point of distraction, or we do nothing. Or we create the plans, then discard them almost completely.

Good point lol I am actually happiest in my shadow type I just can't maintain it. :yes:

Interesting! Any idea why you are happiest as your shadow type?