• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFs and positive energy

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This post is based on observation.

To me it look like that many NFs need alot of positive energy to be around them. This works more for ENFs then INFs but INFs are probably better in hidding of this need.

It looks to me that things that are negative can hurt them a lot from the outside or the inside and thery is always some need to be more positive in life and about life.

Can anyone relate to this or explain the need?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
If you're referring to increased susceptibility to transient emotional states, it would stand to reason than an F would be more open to positive/negative emotions.

Not good or bad, more a question of cognitive choice.

Most dislike negative emotion. Type is less a question here than universal desire for happiness/balance with one's world.

redacted

This post is based on observation.

To me it look like that many NFs need alot of positive energy to be around them. This works more for ENFs then INFs but INFs are probably better in hidding of this need.

It looks to me that things that are negative can hurt them a lot from the outside or the inside and thery is always some need to be more positive in life and about life.

Can anyone relate to this or explain the need?

Everyone needs positive energy around them.

NFs tend to be more attuned to the fact, but it doesn't make the fact more true for them.

One of the worst cases of this is my dad (INTP). He needs everyone to be positive and happy, but he doesn't keep it in his consciousness, so he's always confused by his own discomfort. The result is that he withdraws from the world. It's really too bad.

Being attuned to this fact at least gives you ammunition for changing your surroundings.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Oh man, I ABSOLUTELY HATE NEGATIVE ENERGY!!!

Or bad ju-ju, if you will.

I don't necessarily need positive energy, though I absolutely love when I am in an environment that fosters and pulsates it.

I need an environment to at least be neutral, bad vibes make me feel fearful and yucky inside, whenever I get bad vibes, bad things actually happen.

So yeah, major thumbs down on negative energy.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
If you're referring to increased susceptibility to transient emotional states, it would stand to reason than an F would be more open to positive/negative emotions.

Not good or bad, more a question of cognitive choice.

Most dislike negative emotion. Type is less a question here than universal desire for happiness/balance with one's world.

True but it looks to me that in SF types this is not so expressed.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am an INF and I need a lot of positive energy around me to feel good. I get really dragged down by other people's negative vibes.

I've learnt how to project my own positive energy outwards when it is lacking in the environment. It's like tapping into solar energy in the heart region and then shining it out in all directions. It really seems to make a difference to other's moods, but I do not always remember to use this trick when I need it most!

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Interesting, Antisocial One.

My experience suggests that SFs seem the most engaged with in-the-moment emotionality.

The active desire to experience life in a temporally-linear fashion is my basis for judgment here.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Oh man, I ABSOLUTELY HATE NEGATIVE ENERGY!!!

Or bad ju-ju, if you will.

I don't necessarily need positive energy, though I absolutely love when I am in an environment that fosters and pulsates it.

I need an environment to at least be neutral, bad vibes make me feel fearful and yucky inside, whenever I get bad vibes, bad things actually happen.

So yeah, major thumbs down on negative energy.

This is the kind of attitude I am talking about.

Interesting, Antisocial One.

My experience suggests that SFs seem the most engaged with in-the-moment emotionality.

The active desire to experience life in a temporally-linear fashion is my basis for judgment here.

Maybe but to me as an outsider it look that SF feeling are more shallow so they can change their state more quickly. While NF can be hurt for a long time and that is the reason why they must have so much positive energy around them.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Ah - I see your point now, Antisocial.

Thank you for clarifying.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I can somewhat agree. I wouldn't say I need positive energy, but what I need is absence of negative energy. It was harder before I realized that I can be ok without positive energy as long as there's no negative either.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I can somewhat agree. I wouldn't say I need positive energy, but what I need is absence of negative energy. It was harder before I realized that I can be ok without positive energy as long as there's no negative either.

I guess this is one more way of telling it.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If by positive energy you mean reassurance, then yes I need a bit of reassurance.

As far as negative environments go, I suppose I can explain it like this:

If people are upset in some way or have resorted to outwardly projecting how shitty they're feeling on to everyone in the room, then I am going to get tired, irritated, and a little down. Mostly because I want to do something to make them stop being so...in a word...bitchy, but know the situation wouldn't call for it or they'd turn on me and roast me with their "I'm upset so you should be upset too" laser beam of death. So I end up feeling tired of actively trying to maintain an inner calm, irritated with how they are acting, and downhearted because I want to avoid conflict bad enough that I don't think I should do anything about it.

I'm trying to grow a pair so I can ask, without being afraid of them getting angry with me, what's got them upset and hopefully diffuse the situation so that maybe they feel a little better

ixquic_creation

MBTI Type
INFP
My ex and I shared an apartment. Our apartment turned into a party house.

Drugs and booze, constantly. Pharms, crack, coke, hard alcohol, ect. Alterations that I don't mess with.

Negativity, constantly.

There were several downtrodden, misplaced, angry individuals who were ALWAYS there. Alot of "fuck-the-world.-I-don't-need-anyone." type attitudes. Fights breaking out, arguements, drama.

I would always end up looking like the bitch of the year, because someone would get shitface and belligerent, so I'd kick them out. I don't tolerate that type of behavior, especially in my own home. My ex had NO spine, concerning his friends.

Granted, I love wine, bud, and hallucinogens as much as the next pseudo-hippie... but when you throw a whole bunch of metalheads and juggalos together, and your hippiefest turns into a bloodbath. I view drugs as vehicle for mind expansion, but they wanted to forget their minds.

I was very, very depressed. Suicidal, almost. Alot of, "Goddess, is this my life? I'll never, ever make it to my half-life. I'm twenty years old, and already hate existance. How the hell did I get on interstate 8!?"

The relationship fizzled out, and I started surrounding myself with more positive, intellectual people.

Depression went away. Go figure.

I feed off of positive energy. It gives me light and hope.

Misery loves company, and I'm too empathic for my own good.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah...positive energy is like a drug to me. I find that energy in my friends mostly.
they're my sanctuary...my family and school stress me out.
So I go outside, I work out, I do anything to feel better.(Yeah escapism is a flaw of mine, I do need a reality check from time to time to deal with bad emotions and bad energy)
I choose to "flee" bad energy, so people may see me randomly leave the room or go quiet for a while after they thought.Sometimes I'm still upset after everyone in the room is over it...it's actually embarrassing.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
My ex and I shared an apartment. Our apartment turned into a party house.

Drugs and booze, constantly. Pharms, crack, coke, hard alcohol, ect. Alterations that I don't mess with.

Negativity, constantly.

There were several downtrodden, misplaced, angry individuals who were ALWAYS there. Alot of "fuck-the-world.-I-don't-need-anyone." type attitudes. Fights breaking out, arguements, drama.

Whew.. I probably would have snapped. That's crazy. Sure, people are nice and all, but if they never leave... uhh...

I guess this is one more way of telling it.

No, there is a difference. It's like, when I go to smoke on the back yard in the morning and I know there's nothing special I am going to do that day, I can either feel really bored, or I can watch the leaves coming down from the trees. Either way I am doing the same thing but if I concentrate on how I will not get any good vibes today, I will feel worse than if I am content with not having bad vibes.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
I prefer positive energy, but I don't necessarily need it all the time. When I'm on my game, I exert the positive energy myself until it catches on with the people I am around. It usually does.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm a fountain of positive energy that whores out this resource in abundance, and is most comfortable when completely consumed and baptized in it, thus the people around me normally have smiles on their faces.

Though, I'm rather emotional if you can break through my shell to get to that part. I think high F has a lot to do with the absolute necessity for positive energy in NFs

Negative energy is awkward and uncomfortable, and almost always results in conflict. If I'm in a situation with too much conflict, I escape rather than put myself through the torture.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm a fountain of positive energy that whores out this resource in abundance, and is most comfortable when completely consumed and baptized in it, thus the people around me normally have smiles on their faces.
Awwww, reading this literally put a HUGE smile on my face!!!

Thanks!

:D

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
You're welcome. What are idealists for, other than lots of smileys? :D