• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What do you NF's think of the other temperaments?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NFs: You are great and terrible. Great, because great minds think alike, terrible, because you remind me of all the flaws I detest in myself. Imagine two windows looking out onto the world side-by-side. The same panes of glass tinted the same color, but only varying in their open to closed state and their degree of cleanliness. (Pardon while I lol at my own metaphor loving INFJness.)

NTs: You brilliant basta'ds. We are capable of such expansive conversation in the parlor on a comfortable couch. We might sort out the world's troubles once and for all, or so I hope. But woe betide us if we venture into a discussion of feelings, morality, or romance. It would be a "Murder Death Kill" of our temporary synchronizations of being. Farewell my short-lived shipmate in the boat called life. *waves tear-filled handkerchief*

SPs: What the f*ck to do with you wacky ass nutters? You're a mess you know that? You're all over the damn place. But God strike me down if I pretend you don't make me laugh, love, and err in spite of my better principles. *sigh* You exasperate me, but you make it worthwhile. And you draw out my envy because you have a grasp of this world, this tangible world that you always manage to experience so fully, that I will never achieve --only dream of in retrospect.

SJs: You sexy, stubborn, practically-oriented fuckaz. I don't want you anywhere near a position of authority over me. You will always fail to relate to what matters most to me. But as a mate, as a friend, you are dependable and trust-worthy with an unshakable inner compass. Though for slightly different reasons, you for your sense of duty, me for my sense of affection --we would walk through fire for the other, without looking back.

loved this...haha...so funny. :)

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
Hmm. I'm going to go on personal experience here...

NT's: My father is an INTJ. We both love to play with ideas (despite my 'F' inclination, our discussions generally have a great logicality to them - but are also quite rich. We share a fascination with philosophy) and learn from each other BUT only when feathers are not ruffled the wrong way. He's too sure of himself - it borders on arrogance - and then calls ME arrogant for not coming round to his way of thinking! Drives me crraaazzzy.
Then again, a dear friend of mine is almost certainly an INTP and my half-brother is an ENTP (both with fairly well-developed 'F') and I think it's nigh defiance of the laws of physics for us to ever disagree to the point of coming to blows. We bear each others company extremely well, and are able to have great theory-heavy conversations without stepping on each others toes.
NT's = My life-teachers, as well as my students.

SP's: Two of my closest friends are SP's. My best friend from high school (ESTP) who I've occasionally conflicted with in the past, but would go to the ends of the earth for. It took us a while to get where we are now (Six-ish years, actually) but we've come to understand each other extremely well (eg - for me to not feel rejected by her occasionally TOO careless attitude) and have had quiiiite the adventures. She actually loves the philosophically-inclined questions I often pose for her that she otherwise would've never thought about. The other (ESFP) I get along with famously, and has been a good friend since I met him two years ago. By that I mean you could hear the 'click' when we met! He has an adventerous spirit and is excited by possibilities like me - we have the most entertaining conversations, and plan the most daring of escapades (which will, some day, be carried out....maybe....if I don't dream up another half-dozen to replace the ones already made, and he go along with it) We both love and deeply care for people, understanding them on different levels. (I'm also INSANELY attracted to him, but that's another story ;)) I've never really tried to engage him on a wholly theoretical level, however.
SP's = My playmates.

SJ's: Again, two examples spring immediately to mind. My mother, and my best friend. My ma (ISFJ) is absolutely the kindest, most sympathetic person on the planet - who happens to love me unconditionally. And she also happens to drive me nuts. I love and would do anything for that woman, but living with her was a total bitch. OH THE PERFECTIONISM. OH THE NAGGING. OH THE GULLIBILITY. OH THE WORRY WORRY WORRY. (She also doesn't appreciate black humour quiiiite as much as me, heh) I know it's all because she cares about me, worries about my safety and wants to teach me tidiness (as well as her own intense dislike of mess) but good GOD woman, get off my back! It's a damn spoon in the sink! A spoon! A SPOOOON! She also believes things far too easily, without sufficient evidence. That being said, she is one of the best people I know :)
Ah, the other. My best friend (ESFJ) Another perfect example of someone who I would willingly walk through a rabid scorpion pit for - and yet another perfect example of someone who drives me completely insane. He's less emotionally gullible and more laid-back than my mother, having much less of a compulsion to ABSOLUTE CLEANLINESS - actually, the rigidity in him I find frustrating is intellectually. He's very smart and generally very logical but SETS his mind about things. They have to make reasonable sense to him and be from a reputable source, but once he's convinced - he's convinced. End of story. No other evidence to the contrary will convince him otherwise. YET he thinks himself very open-minded....can you see how this would drive a possibility-driven NF to tears of exasperation?! :BangHead:
On the whole, we obviously get along (hence, 'best friend') but lordy help those nearby when we get into a heated theoretical discussion!
(Oh, and I just remembered I've decided my brother is a slightly-rebellious ESTJ. We get along on the surface and both love doing insane thrill-seeking things - but we do not understand each other. At all)
SJ's = My loveable (if frustrating) foils.

And last, but never least, my fellows:
NF's: It's such a pity only one of my immediate friend/family circle I can confidently recognize as a fellow NF - and he's a bit of an unhealthy ENFJ. (Can be brutally sarcastic but hyper-sensitive to even the most innocent barbs thrown his way, drama-queen to the extreme - he IS getting better though, I think it's mostly due to a childhood where bullying was a common theme) Most of the time I get along with this ENFJ, however it's highly annoying to be mocked and then have to walk around on eggshells in return! He's getting better as his self-esteem improves though, and I think that past this, we could connect better. We're both music theatre nuts with plenty in common - we're both constantly performing, and we make each other laugh. Other than him, there's also my best friend's girlfriend (INFJ) - who I have yet to become close to, but have thus far connected with. We have the most interesting conversations, and understand each others crazy perception of reality.
'NF's' also make up the only romantic relationship thus far that has been meaningful. Spiritual, cognitive, creative, emotional connection. (Again, INFJ)
NF's = I have yet to find the perfect title to define MY dealings with other NF's but: My fellow spiritual warriors ;)

....Sorry for that massive ramble. As I said, I wanted to make judgements solely based on experience, so - out came that novel!!
Hope it was insightful to someone, somewhere :cheese:

silverchris9

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hmm. I'm going to go on personal experience here...

SJ's: Again, two examples spring immediately to mind. My mother, and my best friend. My ma (ISFJ) is absolutely the kindest, most sympathetic person on the planet - who happens to love me unconditionally. And she also happens to drive me nuts. I love and would do anything for that woman, but living with her was a total bitch. OH THE PERFECTIONISM. OH THE NAGGING. OH THE GULLIBILITY. OH THE WORRY WORRY WORRY. (She also doesn't appreciate black humour quiiiite as much as me, heh) I know it's all because she cares about me, worries about my safety and wants to teach me tidiness (as well as her own intense dislike of mess) but good GOD woman, get off my back! It's a damn spoon in the sink! A spoon! A SPOOOON! She also believes things far too easily, without sufficient evidence. That being said, she is one of the best people I know :)
Ah, the other. My best friend (ESFJ) Another perfect example of someone who I would willingly walk through a rabid scorpion pit for - and yet another perfect example of someone who drives me completely insane. He's less emotionally gullible and more laid-back than my mother, having much less of a compulsion to ABSOLUTE CLEANLINESS - actually, the rigidity in him I find frustrating is intellectually. He's very smart and generally very logical but SETS his mind about things. They have to make reasonable sense to him and be from a reputable source, but once he's convinced - he's convinced. End of story. No other evidence to the contrary will convince him otherwise. YET he thinks himself very open-minded....can you see how this would drive a possibility-driven NF to tears of exasperation?! :BangHead:
On the whole, we obviously get along (hence, 'best friend') but lordy help those nearby when we get into a heated theoretical discussion!
SJ's = My loveable (if frustrating) foils.

Wow. Clearly we're living the same life. Clearly. I have exactly the same feelings about my stepmom and close friend/future roommate, respectively (especially about the unchangable mind + thinks they're open-minded, and they are, from an SJ perspective, and yes, it makes me want to strangle either him or myself).

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
Wow. Clearly we're living the same life. Clearly. I have exactly the same feelings about my stepmom and close friend/future roommate, respectively (especially about the unchangable mind + thinks they're open-minded, and they are, from an SJ perspective, and yes, it makes me want to strangle either him or myself).

...Want to arrange an 'SJ' swap for observation/comparison purposes?

IrishStallion819

MBTI Type
INFJ
NFs: You are great and terrible. Great, because great minds think alike, terrible, because you remind me of all the flaws I detest in myself. Imagine two windows looking out onto the world side-by-side. The same panes of glass tinted the same color, but only varying in their open to closed state and their degree of cleanliness. (Pardon while I lol at my own metaphor loving INFJness.)

NTs: You brilliant basta'ds. We are capable of such expansive conversation in the parlor on a comfortable couch. We might sort out the world's troubles once and for all, or so I hope. But woe betide us if we venture into a discussion of feelings, morality, or romance. It would be a "Murder Death Kill" of our temporary synchronizations of being. Farewell my short-lived shipmate in the boat called life. *waves tear-filled handkerchief*

SPs: What the f*ck to do with you wacky ass nutters? You're a mess you know that? You're all over the damn place. But God strike me down if I pretend you don't make me laugh, love, and err in spite of my better principles. *sigh* You exasperate me, but you make it worthwhile. And you draw out my envy because you have a grasp of this world, this tangible world that you always manage to experience so fully, that I will never achieve --only dream of in retrospect.

SJs: You sexy, stubborn, practically-oriented fuckaz. I don't want you anywhere near a position of authority over me. You will always fail to relate to what matters most to me. But as a mate, as a friend, you are dependable and trust-worthy with an unshakable inner compass. Though for slightly different reasons, you for your sense of duty, me for my sense of affection --we would walk through fire for the other, without

I concurr, THis is a brillant piece of written insight.. THis is so true, on so many different levels.. I think the other types should read this, and use this in their relationships with the "NFs" in their life.

silverchris9

MBTI Type
ENFP
...Want to arrange an 'SJ' swap for observation/comparison purposes?

If it were at all possible, yes, that would quite an entertaining exercise. Not only have I had the spoon-in-the-sink argument, I believe that I've had an every possible kitchen object argument. Plus, and I don't know if it's true for everybody, but to me SJs (especially ESxJs) seem much more willing to express their anger over something that bothers them but not that much, whereas I'd never yell at anybody unless we're really, really having issues. But they get mildly upset over things that appear utterly inconsequential to me. So I get aggression directed towards me over what seems to me like nothing! Half the time it's irritating, but the other half (especially if they blow up over something really unimportant) it's just funny, although its usually funnier when its directed at someone other than me!

And I'm a theater person too! ENFPs and theater is a brilliant combination.

I also agree with the poster who said SJs are unpleasant as authority figures but very nice as loyal friends.

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
If it were at all possible, yes, that would quite an entertaining exercise. Not only have I had the spoon-in-the-sink argument, I believe that I've had an every possible kitchen object argument. Plus, and I don't know if it's true for everybody, but to me SJs (especially ESxJs) seem much more willing to express their anger over something that bothers them but not that much, whereas I'd never yell at anybody unless we're really, really having issues. But they get mildly upset over things that appear utterly inconsequential to me. So I get aggression directed towards me over what seems to me like nothing! Half the time it's irritating, but the other half (especially if they blow up over something really unimportant) it's just funny, although its usually funnier when its directed at someone other than me!

It's funny - my ESFJ best friend is not all that concerned about 'order' in his environment. He has obviously decided it's inconsequential, and stuck by it :blush:
But his theories? (He's unusually theoretical for an 'S', says I - though prefers theorizing about things he could see having practical application in the future) Once decided? Oh my. Set. In. Goddamn. Stone! :17425:
(Lucky he's very 'equality for all', so we don't generally conflict on the highly important core values)

Man, you should hear our conversations on ideas about romance, for instance. Hii-larrrious. He just does not GET how much I love the idea of random spontaneity which is totally individual to the person, as a sign of affection. He's very romantic - yet so traditional in his ideas about romance he's one likely to propose to a girl in a fancy restaurant with champagne. (Not that this is such a BAD thing...) Whereas ridiculing how enchanted I am with the idea of someone, for example, proposing whilst snorkeling - underwater, above a reef. (Just a thought I randomly had at the time- but...whose with me, female ENFPs? HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT BE?!)

And I'm a theater person too! ENFPs and theater is a brilliant combination.

I do love a life upon the open stage :duel:

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
I concurr, THis is a brillant piece of written insight.. THis is so true, on so many different levels.. I think the other types should read this, and use this in their relationships with the "NFs" in their life.

yes, ditto, + 1

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
NT - Stoic and hard to get to know, even after years of trying. Capable of unexpected flashes of brilliant creativity. I've also been burned by a rather machiavellian NT in my day, so I tend to approach these types carefully.

NF - Two of my closest friends are INFPs and I love them both dearly. I get along better with them than I do with anybody else. Funny thing is, when we met we just CLICKED. We have a tendency to be stubborn and irrational if our emotions fly out of control.

SP - My roommates are both SP. They are maddening and fascinating and lovely people. Our lifestyles are sometimes in conflict, so there can be some friction between us. I like to call them Living Chaos, because they will move from subject to subject so quickly and without warning -- which is both a strength and weakness.

SJ - I can't say I've had any experience with this type. (*shrug*) :D