• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] How much the myers briggs is really an important ?

yarin63

MBTI Type
infj
How much the MBTI is really an important in real life ? Tell your opinions ...

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My opinion? None of it, really.

It’s another system of classification for me to box people in with and judge them by.

Actually I’m very inexperienced in it’s ways so I’ve only recently started to speculate what type a person in my life might be. Otherwise I’ve met some really cool people here. People that I may never talk to if I passed them irl (hate that term like nothing here is real boowahhh 👻) because of my shyness.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think I've learned a lot from discussions here that gives me better capability in real life to not assume bad intent or stupidity, but rather a different set of functions and prioritization of certain types of information. I'm terrible at typing people in real life, but my time here has given me a venue to observe certain identifiable similarities with people who share the same type and it's given me a better ability to avoid some snags, not get upset as easily, or appreciate the strengths they have that I don't.

In real life, it has helped me better understand and be open with my mom, while still recognizing that the points where we diverge are largely function related and my judgement is just informed differently rather than automatically being inferior when we disagree.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think for some people, they really don't need it. As an INTJ though it was very helpful for me to have a logical framework to better understand how other people think differently than me. I have used it for years - sort of like a secret weapon that I didn't really talk to people about. For example, I used it to understand conflicts between people, be more tolerant of others who are different, in forming teams, and it has given me insight into myself which has been useful from a growth and development perspective.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
MBTI has been extremely important in my real life.
I first started learning about it, so that I could understand my children better and be a better mom,
but it also helped me understand myself and why I behave the way I do.

Being an INTJ, I struggled with constantly thinking and believing I was defective because of my inability to be perfect.
MBTI helped me accept myself the way I am.
I learned to not only accept, but also APPRECIATE the differences of others, which previous to that time used to make me angry.
MBTI helped me understand my children's strengths and weaknesses.
It helped me get along better with my husband.
It helps me get along better with my co-workers... basically anybody I come into contact with.

The most useful thing to me is understanding the difference between J & P.
This is the area most likely to create conflict for me, so I most often find myself trying to discern whether someone is a J or a P,
whether they want things planned ahead of time or whether they prefer to play things "by ear".

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
typing other people? To be honest I find it really pointless. Fun, but pointless.

I think it is an amazing introspective tool to help you attempt to understand yourself and how you piece the world together. It can help you find strengths while pinpointing your weak areas which you can work on.

noneya

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think that typing people and being able to find out someone's type and look into them is incredible. Because of the MBTI, I now understand how the minds of other people work. Even people that in the beginning I didn't understand at all.. I now feel as if I know them deeply from interacting with them as well as knowing exactly how their thought processes work according to their specific type. I think it is fascinating and so beneficial - at least... to me personally. I'm sure there are many who feel differently from me, but this is because there are many perspectives to anything in life and I don't expect everyone to feel the same way that I do.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's not really supposed to be important, it's supposed to be a helpful tool that can be used to better understand others and often doubles as a fun hobby. That's kind of like asking 'how important is hiking?' Well, it gives me good exercise but it's not like I couldn't get the same result out of biking or jogging. But hiking works best for my desired product. With MBTI, the desired product would be mutual understanding, insight, conflict resolution and tolerance. I could get those qualities another way, perhaps through a handful of self-help books, but MBTI is a preferred and enjoyable method.

If you do put too much weight on type it will tip into unhealthy territory, as I'm sure we're all aware. MBTI can just as greatly help your relationships with others as it can destroy them, but that depends on how you use it.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like just this one book here had startling revelations for me when I read it.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

In my personal opinion, MBTI is helpful but not necessary for everyone. For me it was wonderful, because it helped me understand a lot about myself. It confirmed and explained things I knew but couldn't articulate before. It put me on the path of self discovery; I dont think I'd be this self aware had I not discovered MBTI. I think if you use MBTI as a starting point rather than an end point to limit yourself, it is a good kickstarter for self discovery. However I also think there are other ways to discover yourself, and you dont need MBTI to figure out who you are or your purpose in life.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Like just this one book here had startling revelations for me when I read it.
i own the original version of this book and though it is mostly over-my-head, I have long used it as a reference book when someone I know needs help with return to equilibrium, including myself or my kids. :)

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can guarantee y'all that just knowing my type doesn't mean you know anything near enough about me to know what I'm thinking, how I'll behave, or who I am. Type is too limited, people are too complex, and the majority is the exception to the rule.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Like, the thought of someone reading my posts and thinking "Oh, yama is an ESFJ, so they must be [insert stereotypical ESFJ qualities here]" grosses me out so bad I could actually throw up for real. I hope to god nobody thinks I'm (or anyone else for that matter) a walking talking type description.

I've always had major interest in various personality theories and find it fascinating even now when it has become just a little more stale over time. Typology has been a pretty useful tool in helping me understand similarities and differences among other people in addition to being more accepting of them for who they are as well. I'm a lot more understanding of people in general now, but at the same time I know people are a lot more complex than the type they identify as. MBTI itself is more about the construction on one's thought process and does not necessarily correlate with type description stereotypes. It can get tiring when people see a label and assume you are some way based on that alone, but this seems to be a problem with the concept of labels overall. No theory is without faults.

Admittedly, there have been times when I've been frustrated with it for these reasons too. For me personally, I find it hard to identify with certain type descriptions except for some stereotypes associated with the type itself. Although at the same time I'm unable to divert my attention away from it. Deep down I have a thing for personality theory and love how it connects the dots together like missing pieces of a puzzle. I find it deeply intriguing, even when I try slapping myself back to reality. I...just...can't. It's an addiction. I'm a type addict. I've come out. :happy2: