User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Nostalgia

MBTI
    INFP

Default Nostalgia

Fuck, why do I have such a predisposition towards nostalgia.

I'm moving to America on Sunday. The last 3 months of my life have basically consisted of me, slaving away in a coffee shop, 24/7, all summer long, to earn money to pay my tuition fees for when I get to the US. A part of my life, surely, which I do not wish to recall in the slightest. A part of my life, which, I was longing to be over. And yet, there it is again, nostalgia, a brooding melancholy, seeping into my soul, a regret for losing things that up to last week, I detested. I have absolutely NO reason to be nostalgic over the last 3 months, nothing, nada, zip; I'm feeling melancholic over things I hated, Jesus, sometimes I just can't fathom my self. Always in the future, often in the past, rarely in the present.

Anybody else get the pangs of nostalgia often? I often find it makes me sad, rather than happy.
    It's just a ride

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Members Only View Post

I'm moving to America on Sunday. The last 3 months of my life have basically consisted of me, slaving away in a coffee shop, 24/7, all summer long, to earn money to pay my tuition fees for when I get to the US. A part of my life, surely, which I do not wish to recall in the slightest. A part of my life, which, I was longing to be over. And yet, there it is again, nostalgia, a brooding melancholy, seeping into my soul, a regret for losing things that up to last week, I detested. I have absolutely NO reason to be nostalgic over the last 3 months, nothing, nada, zip; I'm feeling melancholic over things I hated, Jesus, sometimes I just can't fathom my self. Always in the future, often in the past, rarely in the present.

Anybody else get the pangs of nostalgia often? I often find it makes me sad, rather than happy.
    All the time. I feel like I'm holding the past in my arms and pulling it with me into the present because I need these things, these people to act as guides, to say my name when I lose myself. I think the past teaches me how to connect myself to the future by giving me a glimpse of the familiar in something that is essentially unwritten. Nothing from the past is dead to me - it continues on in other forms.

I don't think that made any sense.

MBTI
    INFP

Ahhhh. I think it did. I understand what you mean anyway.

Nothing from the past is dead for me either, I'm always relating it to current events. The past feels so close to me at times, certain events stick in my mind, some random, some not. All it takes is a phrase, a place, a smell (Especially a smell) to trigger a chain reaction of nostalgia. The same feelings come rushing back, as intense as they once were, and then after there gone, I can only help but feel a tinge of sadness, that the moment has passed, I will never be able to relive it again, it doesn't exist anymore.
    It's just a ride

Sniffles

I've heard it's a general tendency for INFPs to dwell on the past. By contrast, INFJs for example often dwell on the future.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Ahhhh. I think it did. I understand what you mean anyway.

Nothing from the past is dead for me either, I'm always relating it to current events. The past feels so close to me at times, certain events stick in my mind, some random, some not. All it takes is a phrase, a place, a smell (Especially a smell) to trigger a chain reaction of nostalgia. The same feelings come rushing back, as intense as they once were, and then after there gone, I can only help but feel a tinge of sadness, that the moment has passed, I will never be able to relive it again, it doesn't exist anymore.
    Oh I know. I hold a lock of my horse's mane, or something of my grandfather's, and I ache because I can't reach back and bring them with me, though I still recall their presences and it saddens me.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

It seems as though I can't taste the moment as much as I want..and after the phase goes by, I always look back at it and wish for it to come back..but if it did, it wouldn't be the same..ugh, I hate Nostalgia..I'm ALWAYS feeling it..
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I remember regularly.

MBTI
    INFP

In my memory I have stored certain happenings which I am able to play back as though watching, feeling, tasting, touching, smelling a film of it.

Unfortunately sometimes when something is really enjoyable I make a conscious effort to store it this way. But it appears to me to be a subconscious process and not able to be duplicated by will.

The stored info is of all varieties, not just pleasant ones, but they make up the majority.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

.. I suppose because it's a chapter in your life ending. Not so much that you loved it, or enjoyed it.. I hated high school.. but it wasn't ALL bad. It wasn't bad enough to drive me away from it.. so I suppose, in a way, I'm more nostalgic in the fact that my life was set up so perfectly for me, and I only had a narrow field of vision. Mayhap you're nostalgic about the way life was.. instead of the daily life itself. Working toward something you wanted.. I could see someone being nostalgic about that.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ISTx

I don't feel nostalgia super often but it does come at times. I find that music is a large trigger for it. I've found myself making a conscious effort lately to play certain enjoyable albums at times and events that I feel are/will be significant in my life, in hopes that it can be a way of bringing the feeling/recollection back at will. I have a couple of albums that are reminiscent of my two years in CA before joining the service. Two important years.

"Nothing gold can stay."