• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Nostalgia

Members Only

MBTI Type
INFP
Fuck, why do I have such a predisposition towards nostalgia.

I'm moving to America on Sunday. The last 3 months of my life have basically consisted of me, slaving away in a coffee shop, 24/7, all summer long, to earn money to pay my tuition fees for when I get to the US. A part of my life, surely, which I do not wish to recall in the slightest. A part of my life, which, I was longing to be over. And yet, there it is again, nostalgia, a brooding melancholy, seeping into my soul, a regret for losing things that up to last week, I detested. I have absolutely NO reason to be nostalgic over the last 3 months, nothing, nada, zip; I'm feeling melancholic over things I hated, Jesus, sometimes I just can't fathom my self. Always in the future, often in the past, rarely in the present.

Anybody else get the pangs of nostalgia often? I often find it makes me sad, rather than happy.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I'm moving to America on Sunday. The last 3 months of my life have basically consisted of me, slaving away in a coffee shop, 24/7, all summer long, to earn money to pay my tuition fees for when I get to the US. A part of my life, surely, which I do not wish to recall in the slightest. A part of my life, which, I was longing to be over. And yet, there it is again, nostalgia, a brooding melancholy, seeping into my soul, a regret for losing things that up to last week, I detested. I have absolutely NO reason to be nostalgic over the last 3 months, nothing, nada, zip; I'm feeling melancholic over things I hated, Jesus, sometimes I just can't fathom my self. Always in the future, often in the past, rarely in the present.

Anybody else get the pangs of nostalgia often? I often find it makes me sad, rather than happy.

All the time. I feel like I'm holding the past in my arms and pulling it with me into the present because I need these things, these people to act as guides, to say my name when I lose myself. I think the past teaches me how to connect myself to the future by giving me a glimpse of the familiar in something that is essentially unwritten. Nothing from the past is dead to me - it continues on in other forms.

I don't think that made any sense.

Members Only

MBTI Type
INFP
Ahhhh. I think it did. I understand what you mean anyway.

Nothing from the past is dead for me either, I'm always relating it to current events. The past feels so close to me at times, certain events stick in my mind, some random, some not. All it takes is a phrase, a place, a smell (Especially a smell) to trigger a chain reaction of nostalgia. The same feelings come rushing back, as intense as they once were, and then after there gone, I can only help but feel a tinge of sadness, that the moment has passed, I will never be able to relive it again, it doesn't exist anymore.

S

Sniffles

I've heard it's a general tendency for INFPs to dwell on the past. By contrast, INFJs for example often dwell on the future.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ahhhh. I think it did. I understand what you mean anyway.

Nothing from the past is dead for me either, I'm always relating it to current events. The past feels so close to me at times, certain events stick in my mind, some random, some not. All it takes is a phrase, a place, a smell (Especially a smell) to trigger a chain reaction of nostalgia. The same feelings come rushing back, as intense as they once were, and then after there gone, I can only help but feel a tinge of sadness, that the moment has passed, I will never be able to relive it again, it doesn't exist anymore.

Oh I know. I hold a lock of my horse's mane, or something of my grandfather's, and I ache because I can't reach back and bring them with me, though I still recall their presences and it saddens me.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
It seems as though I can't taste the moment as much as I want..and after the phase goes by, I always look back at it and wish for it to come back..but if it did, it wouldn't be the same..ugh, I hate Nostalgia..I'm ALWAYS feeling it..

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
In my memory I have stored certain happenings which I am able to play back as though watching, feeling, tasting, touching, smelling a film of it.

Unfortunately sometimes when something is really enjoyable I make a conscious effort to store it this way. But it appears to me to be a subconscious process and not able to be duplicated by will.

The stored info is of all varieties, not just pleasant ones, but they make up the majority.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

.. I suppose because it's a chapter in your life ending. Not so much that you loved it, or enjoyed it.. I hated high school.. but it wasn't ALL bad. It wasn't bad enough to drive me away from it.. so I suppose, in a way, I'm more nostalgic in the fact that my life was set up so perfectly for me, and I only had a narrow field of vision. Mayhap you're nostalgic about the way life was.. instead of the daily life itself. Working toward something you wanted.. I could see someone being nostalgic about that.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I don't feel nostalgia super often but it does come at times. I find that music is a large trigger for it. I've found myself making a conscious effort lately to play certain enjoyable albums at times and events that I feel are/will be significant in my life, in hopes that it can be a way of bringing the feeling/recollection back at will. I have a couple of albums that are reminiscent of my two years in CA before joining the service. Two important years.

"Nothing gold can stay."

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm extremely nostalgic. I've been accused of living in the past. I think it is an INFP trait.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Flipping nostalgia.

Sure I get it for wondering the what it would be like should I ever meet my relatives, or what it would be like should I ever visit my country of birth. Or those were the days back in high school until facebook then I went yuck, so over it now.

I get it for shows that should of had more seasons. When seeing something like Firefly and so forth every now and again I get a sense of nostalgia to see it. This applies to childhood shows I used to watch like Monkey Magic. And books in general I'd reread again because of the sentimental factor of knowing what a great read it is.

Yep music gets me there too easy.