• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] how do you tell apart an ENFJ who acts like a P and an ENFP who acts like a J?

bundleofsunshine

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have tried figuring it out via the functions but the person is question seem to display nearly all the functions except for Si ← (please, don't place to much emphasis on this). I have seen some old threads but mabye some people may have new information on the two types.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sometimes what helps is analyzing Enneagram along with MBTI.
For instance I may appear more ENFJ because I am an E1, which makes me more rigid and perfectionistic and makes my Fi stronger. Also I am an E4 heart type which makes my Si appear stronger.

just do a little mixing. :3

bundleofsunshine

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have tried the enneagram angle but i've come to realize that certain types can't be certain enneagram types like 7's tend to be ExxPs and 2's tend to be ExFJs. The people is I can see this person as a 2 or a 7.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFPs and ENFJs are superficially similar. They often end up at the same place. They just get there by very different routes.

ENFPs love brainstorming, encountering new ideas, etc. They often change interests and careers. They are not persuaders, but champions of their beliefs, so that others follow their examples as they are inspired. Their example persuades others more than their arguments.

ENFJs are friendly, outgoing, persuasive. They are natural teachers. If they champion a cause, they convince others tofollow through their words (cult leader style, almost).

ENFPs lead with Ne and like all Ne doms, can appear to be random, at times. Fi keeps them strongly true to their personal values. They love ideas, concepts, etc.

ENFJs are people oriented, understanding the emotional level of every one else around them and how best to connect with them. They guide the group and push the group in their desired direction. ENFJs tend to love ideas and concepts as well, but in a way that ideas impact people.

ENFPs and ENFJs act very differently when stressed.

The Ni vs Ne issue is huge, as in the Fe vs Fi issue.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
do you have any examples of this?

Sure. Naomi Quenk, who worked for the official MBTI folks for many years as one of their lead writers, wrote Was That Really Me?. She focused on using instances of people "in the grip of their inferior function" to identify types.

As such, IXFPs will become really bad caricatures of ESTJs as inferior Te rules--hypercritical, domineering, etc. INXJs indulge in Se activities--wild partying, risky sex, overeating, out of control shopping.

ENXPs get ruled by inferior Si. Here is how they act in the grip: [ENFP] Recognizing the Inferior Function in ENFPs

EXFJs get ruled by inferior Ti --- [ENFJ] Recognizing the Inferior Function in ENFJs

I find this is one of the best ways to type people. Many people are blind to themselves, but recognize how they get in the grip.

One of Quenk's examples is a INFP who she met again many years later after she had been in a very high stress job for many years and who seemed to get co-workers as a hardnosed ESTJ.

Likewise, those who have experienced trauma may get trapped into the inferior function.

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFP - demonstrative Fe. They experience Fe as a subconscious broadcasting of their feelings. They typically have no control over it.
ENFJ - base Fe. It is their dominant function. They can control their Fe and it comes out as more measured. They value this function and are more concerned about what feelings are shown by the individual opposed to their inner sense of values.

ENFP - base Ne. They are occupied with possibilities. They actively seek these out and have very little difficulty connecting the dots. They value this function and are more concerned about this than their subjective interpretations of it.
ENFJ - demonstrative Ne. They subconsciously see all the possibilities but have a hard time connecting the dots. They can appear a little scattered for this reason.

ENFP - ignoring Ni. They ignore the subjective interpretations of their intuition.
ENFJ - creative Ni - They see the whole world through the Ni lens. Their visions are subjective and Ni users for this reason, come off as weird to other types sometimes.

ENFP - creative Fi. They are attuned to their own sense of values and their own feelings. This guides them and they make value based decisions
ENFJ - ignoring Fi. They value the collective emotional atmosphere over their own feelings.

ENFP - role function Se. They can look like ESFPs sometimes and when they meet someone for the first time, they can be in 'Se' mode
ENFJ - mobilised Se. They like Se, they wish they could use their Second more. They try to project the Fe they have and try to play it up, looking like tough people. They also have a will to power and enjoy the thrill of the hunt.

ENFP - mobilized Te. They love Te and want more of it. They happily take up roles that stimulate their Te. They're usually proud of their organization skills though they may appear to be lacking to others.
ENFJ - role function Te. They can look like ENTJs sometimes. They have a Te mode so as to speak.

ENFP - vulnerable Ti. Their weakest unvlaued function. They can appear to lack internal consistency at times.
ENFJ - dual seeking Ti - they love Ti and are drawn to Ti users. It's their weakest valued function and you'll see them try to use it

ENFP - dual seeking Si. It's their weakest valued function. They care about comfort and don't usually have a will to power.
ENFJ - vulnerable Si. It is weak and unvlaued to them. They don't really care much for comfort the same way ENFPs do.

P.S. I don't know how accurate this is.

bundleofsunshine

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Likewise, those who have experienced trauma may get trapped into the inferior function.

Now i'm almost certain she's an unhealthy ENFJ. I have yet to see her have a Te bitch slap moment or a Si meltdown moment. I think she may just be an ENFJ that is trying all sorts of things and I may have mistaken that for high Ne.