• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Procrastination

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So I came across this video and it totally reminded me of me in older times. I basically used to function this way; having a rational decision maker in my head, but it was totally overrun by my instant gratification monkey. It was hard or even impossible to sit down and actually do what I needed to do - expect for the ~really~ important stuff. Everything that wasn't neccessary to make me stay alive, sometimes even what was necessary, I tended not to do until it was too late. I just thought I need to share this video with you because it just screams ENFP and is indredibly hilarious.

I think it's also an interesting video because it shows Ne+Fis influence (instant gratification monkey+panic monster) on an ENFP, when Te (rational decision maker) isn't integrated.

Also Ne's hilarious way thinking becomes easier to understand through this vid: "Are we clear, on what we just accepted here? We need to sit down on this right now." "Totally agree but also let's just open Google earth and let's zoom to the bottom of india and we're gonna scroll up for 2 1/2 half hours, so we can get a better feel for India."

Meowmellow

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Especially the end part about the two types of procrastination is quite important to mention. Pressure, deadlines and responsibility make you progress because they are obligations. It's relatively easy to fail myself and not hold myself accountable when I procrastinate for personal goals. Just take my losses and try again next time ... or ''a time'' whenever. I'm not sure how or if I can ever improve on self-discipline, no matter how developed my Te is to make some rational argument to motivate the self.

But, on the other hand it is very hard to disappoint someone else or fail shared goals with others. In most cases it has consequences for someone else then too, which you don't want to be blamed for. Especially as a type 2 this is not done, so it is a good trick in getting myself to work and step up to be productive. In that same perspective I think it is also better for me to not live the Single Life but idk, start a family someday or something :p (i know that sounds very casual now, but i wouldnt go about it casually haha).

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thinking about why you don't want to do the thing you're procrastinating is a good first step to overcoming it.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thinking about why you don't want to do the thing you're procrastinating is a good first step to overcoming it.

You're totally getting the wrong idea here. It's exactly why I opened the thread and put the video in it, because it shows the trouble of procrastinating in young ENFPs and how the functions basically make certain ENFPs procrastinate. (It is an explanation - and a funny one at that - not an excuse). The reason for procrastinating, it's simply Ne+Fis nature. (mixed with a little bit of Enneagram 7, I guess).

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You're totally getting the wrong idea here. It's exactly why I opened the thread and put the video in it, because it shows the trouble of procrastinating in young ENFPs and how the functions basically make certain ENFPs procrastinate. (It is an explanation - and a funny one at that - not an excuse). The reason for procrastinating, it's simply Ne+Fis nature. (mixed with a little bit of Enneagram 7, I guess).

So you'll always be a procrastinator?

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So you'll always be a procrastinator?

If you don't even bother to read what's been written in the opening of the thread, why do you reply on it? All of your questions have already been answered.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Im actually NOT really a huge procrastinatir- it makes me anxious so I tend to be just the opposite,.. get it DONE and out of the way and- yippee you get to feel free and accomplished and less stressed. Best just to face things- so you can go back to not having to as quickly as possible.

This is mostly with practical things- I try to get them out of the way and done as quickly as possible... emotional things I can have an issue with repressing- which I suppose is a form of procrastination in a way.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you don't even bother to read what's been written in the opening of the thread, why do you reply on it? All of your questions have already been answered.

I did read it. I just think that blaming your procrastination on being an ENFP is limiting. Maybe it is idk. As long as you what you need done done then I guess it doesn't matter.

Hmm, this is interesting. Admittedly, self-regulation is something I do struggle with at times. I'm not an NFP, but my own Pe can be very, very off-the-wall. 24-hour all-nighters were a norm for me back in college and still are sometimes. So yeah, my mind wanders into the dark playground with the little monkey circulating around me for a little too long, methinks. :D Procrastination is a big weakness of mine, but sometimes I've noticed I get my best creative ideas when I've been procrastinating for quite some time, so perhaps there can be some benefit to it, especially if one is an artist.

However, once I finally get my momentum going, I can be working 30 hours non-stop if I really need to. I have pretty strong endurance to where I can set my entire focus on something for the x amount of hours I've wasted and more, despite exhaustion.

I also want to add that I was much more J-ish when I was younger. I never really did procrastinate as a young child and always did my schoolwork before anything else back then. It wasn't until I grew older when I became an uber-procrastinator. I wonder what the hell happened? :laugh:

MyCupOfTea

MBTI Type
INxP
I've watched this video before, I think it's pretty good.

I must admit, I have issues with procrastination... If there's a time limit, like at work, it's easier - I sort of like working in occasional time pressure. But what got me thinking, was the point on the video about stuff which have no time limit: how much dreams and experiences never be lived because of procrastination?

My worst procrastination problems involve contacting other people (strangers), like making phone calls for making arrangements, booking appointments etc. I believe it has more to do with my shyness /difficulty to explain myself, than functions, though..? Because it's not about being distracted or anything, I just don't want to do it and leave it to be taken cared of "later" (which is the last minute panic or never).

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
In my early days I always thought it was something nasty. Cause it reads like masturbation. xD

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
I've watched this video before, I think it's pretty good.

I must admit, I have issues with procrastination... If there's a time limit, like at work, it's easier - I sort of like working in occasional time pressure. But what got me thinking, was the point on the video about stuff which have no time limit: how much dreams and experiences never be lived because of procrastination?

My worst procrastination problems involve contacting other people (strangers), like making phone calls for making arrangements, booking appointments etc. I believe it has more to do with my shyness /difficulty to explain myself, than functions, though..? Because it's not about being distracted or anything, I just don't want to do it and leave it to be taken cared of "later" (which is the last minute panic or never).

I've literally ascended to the point where my brain is capable of overriding deadlines and submerging all panic into some generalised pattern of anxiety.

I think there's more relevant theories of procrastination out there that deals with some actual brain shit, but

... I ... think I'll go do other stuff for now .. .. ... ..

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I did read it. I just think that blaming your procrastination on being an ENFP is limiting. Maybe it is idk. As long as you what you need done done then I guess it doesn't matter.

I'm getting fed up with you and your faux know it all attitude. You're not understanding the smallest thing here. You have NOT read what I wrote, because I clearly wrote I USED to procrastinate and HAD problems with this. It would also be extremely apparent to you then, that this is not an excuse at all and I just show an interesting phenomenon I used to know and how Ne+Fi can lead to procrastination. If you don't even bother to read what the thread is about, DON'T give your damn opinion on it. How ignorant can you even be to attempt to do this. Stop it. You're making a fool out of yourself here by giving your uninformed 2 cents to it. Guess you just saw the words "ENFP" and "procrastination" and your ignorance+arrogance buttons were pushed and thought "uuuh, let's annoy these dumb/lazy ENFPs with my conning wisdom!" Go take your bias, ignorance and idiotic behaviour and start looking for a fight outside of your home. This was supposed to be funny and informative, not a place for ignorance and artificial "I'm holier than thou"-attitude for people who just like to hear themselves talk.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
From my own experience I must say it wasn't as complicated as I expected it to be to stop procrastinating. This doesn't mean I don't procrastinate anymore EVER, I do on occasion, when I know it's certainly not going to come back to bite me in the ass because I only procrastinate for a really short time, if at all. I'd love to know how or why this habit changed. The memory of it was abit vague at the bginngin but now I remember. I'm sure I was fed up with me being late to certain stuff and made the decision to change and just adjusted myself to the "new responsible kinda life". (By the way, I'm not throwing shade here on anyone who is still a big procrastinator, hey, I've been there and done it myself. Maybe this is some helfpul insight for someone who wants to change their relationship with procrastination.) Once you are at that point where you're fed up with procrastinating so much, you can start changing the habit. Frustration can be suuuuch a good motivator!! :D Start with making to-do-lists and refine your new habit with having a schedule for when you do what. If you have drawn out a time line for fun stuff and getting things done, you won't find yourself anymore procrastinating with fun stuff on things that are still waiting to be done, at least it worked out for me and most of my friends. I'm a student and also earning money from home, and every artist or freelancer will realize sooner or later how important it can be to have a daily schedule. I know too many artists/and freelancers who don't though and it messes with their deadlines and also their brains.

Just some food for thought

adventureawaits

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm procrastinating right now. :)

I get distracted easily and sometimes my distractions take me down rabbit holes. I've accepted it. I make to-do lists and set phone reminders to keep me generally on track, but just knowing that I have the ability to complete whatever I need to complete quickly on the day it's due during my super charged power burst of productivity is enough to perpetuate the procrastination. :doh:

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I procrastinate if starting a project gives me anxiety. Lol there are times like, 'This assignment is due on Monday. Holy crap, what if I don't make it?" Then I spend a great deal of time trying to overcome my anxiety. I end up doing distracting things, until I no longer have enough time to finish the project according to my high standards. Then I may end up not turning in anything at all. That has happened a few times, silly as it sounds.

For the most part, I find it difficult to start working on it. I use something like the Pomodorro technique, or I tell someone I'm going to start to hold myself responsible. Once the thing has been put into motion, it's quite easy to keep it going. I always may end up dropping something like homework or assignments if I feel like there is no use in doing it.

I shamelessly admit, I procrastinate on doing chores around the house and as a result, my home can end up being a messy place. I hate having to clean up or do laundry tho I try my best to keep things organized.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I get distracted easily and sometimes my distractions take me down rabbit holes. I've accepted it. I make to-do lists and set phone reminders to keep me generally on track, but just knowing that I have the ability to complete whatever I need to complete quickly on the day it's due during my super charged power burst of productivity is enough to perpetuate the procrastination. :doh:

Same.

Coupled with bad memory it can be a recipe for a total mess.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Wow, I'm glad I've never had this problem. Seems like you got it under control though! Good for you!