• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How Talkative are You? (Open to all types.)

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
It depends on who it's with or what it's about. With aggressive people, I'm usually pretty quiet. Around people I have a lot in common with, I can be quite talkative.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not very. I rarely start conversations on my own, even if it's my own family or best friend. I feel awkward starting the convo because I don't wanna say the wrong thing, and for some reason it just feels weird speaking out of nowhere. In college, there were days where my only interactions were the lunch people because my roommate and I were distant and I wasn't very good at friend-ing. I spend a lot of time alone because I need my peace and quiet and time to think about stuff, being able to just do my own thing without people crowding around me and intruding on my my personal space. People drain me and I just don't find them entertaining most of the time. What gets me out of shell is when I hear people talking about a subject I'm really passionate out. This is why I actually like being in groups better-though it's hard to tell which I like sometimes(groups vs 1 on 1). Groups help me come out of my shell because that's the time where I'll mostly likely get to talk about my favorite subject. But it needs to be a little group(like 2 people), cause I don't like group projects or big groups where everyone is talking over each other. I wanna be alone with my guy, but one on one I'm pretty quiet because there's just this awkwardness in the air and it's almost like I have to impress the person, all eyes on me.

Jaguar

I'm the one who speaks up in a silent room of people. But I consider that more of an ability to call bullshit in public while everyone else follows social rules. I've lost count how many people have said to me, "I wish I could talk like you." To which I invariably reply, "Is your mouth broken? Just talk." But I know what they're really alluding to - fucked up social rules that put them in a straitjacket.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Depends on the company.

I despise small talk and I find most of the time the things people talk about are mindl-numbingly petty or banal. Of course, at a certain point, I’ll just stop associating with them.
If I’m engaged in the company of good friends I have no problem leading the conversation. Hell, I probably talk too much

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am not talkative in a conversational chit-chatty sense, or story-telling sense (I am the *worst* at that) but I have no problem bringing things up work, speaking up in meetings, stating less palatable things/ saying what no one else wants to say but many are thinking, or talking about less personal things.

I guess you could sum it by by saying that I am poor at or don't like talking about myself (so, compared to almost everyone, I am Very Quiet, since most people talk about themselves), but I'm fine/ confident at talking about things in general / in a commentary sense. However I am still not long-winded; I sum things up, and I do not ever go on long monologues.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I usually won't talk to people if I don't know them. Unless I'm in a reckless mood and so sick of the silence. Then I'll strike up a conversation with anyone who seems nice and might like to chat.

But among my inner circle I'll talk quite a bit.:bunnyglee: I'm told I can get rather loud once I warm to my subject.

Similar to this. I'm typically quiet in general. I wouldnt really say out of shyness,I'm just more reserved irl. Really depends on which me is driving the body at the time.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
With people I don't know? Not very. I tend to chat with friendly cashiers, to the point where some of them get excited to see me... otherwise, it's rare for me to initiate conversation with people I don't know. Sometimes I'm quiet with everyone, if I'm feeling down or tired. With certain people in certain situations, I can talk for hours and hours.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
With people I don't know? Not very. I tend to chat with friendly cashiers, to the point where some of them get excited to see me... otherwise, it's rare for me to initiate conversation with people I don't know. Sometimes I'm quiet with everyone, if I'm feeling down or tired. With certain people in certain situations, I can talk for hours and hours.

Same. Cashiers are great. :D

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks to typology (hurrah) that led me to (hurrah!!) paying more attention (HURRAH!!!) to things I do in order to type myself, I notice that- well, I've always known it 'depends', but not where the lines are. I have no idea why I'm so easily exhausted from human interaction, especially ones where there is a lot of emotion involved (even positive ones). Honestly, throughout my life I've only met like 2 other people whose 'socializing' stamina is like mine. So say, if I'm tutoring my peers, I can go on for hours, but if I'm teaching kindergarteners, I feel like running myself through a meat grinder after an hour. 2 hours tops. I dish out criticism (constructive or not) fairly easily, but I have a tough time with platitudes "That was great work you did, I'm proud of you!" "You look great this evening." and when I'm really, really raggedy and worn, even the basics "Please!" "It's okay, please don't worry." "Thank you, that was helpful of you." and sometimes when I go through with the platitudes it sounds very clinical, like stuff you'd hear on a PA or customer service drivel. On the rare occasion I'm available for smalltalk, usually if it's in a situation I know I don't have to talk/interact more later.

Generally, when I'm explaining something (looks at my paragraphs on this forum) I can go on length and feel fine about it. I consider manners a necessary evil. I'd rather blab the way I do TC-style than do the following: not ignoring your host when visiting (and vice versa), not standing off in dark shadows during parties, saying hi and getting to know folks in new places, etc. I've also gained a clearer realization that preferences VS skill are entirely different and I can blab and drone pleasantries for hours but that doesn't change that it makes me feel like hanging myself and shutting out from humanity for the next 7 days after. Good at it, doesn't mean I like it, or that that's who I am. I'm going to DETONATE anyone who tries to type me E / Fe just because those are things I can do.

That being said. I notice that people tend to remember me for some reason. I don't know why. I will say, frequent certain stores with my friends and the cashiers will remember me, but not my friends, even if they've gone there before me. I do think kindness and even very top-level politeness goes a long way, and sometimes I think that might be it.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That being said. I notice that people tend to remember me for some reason. I don't know why. I will say, frequent certain stores with my friends and the cashiers will remember me, but not my friends, even if they've gone there before me. I do think kindness and even very top-level politeness goes a long way, and sometimes I think that might be it.

Once, the second time my bf and I went to a very busy restaurant near where a lot of Hollywood-types and tourists might go, with a fairly large time gap in between visits, the waitress we had the first time (and coincidentally the second time), remembered us. Better than I remembered her. That surprised me.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Once, the second time my bf and I went to a very busy restaurant near where a lot of Hollywood-types and tourists might go, with a fairly large time gap in between visits, the waitress we had the first time (and coincidentally the second time), remembered us. Better than I remembered her. That surprised me.

I notice that some folks in the industry have freakishly good memory. They'd remember my name and even when I came and what I bought.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have short little jokey exchanges with acquaintances and have had some in-depth conversations with people I'm close. Generally I'm not especially talkative and generally quiet. Over the holidays I had the odd experience at one of the family dinners of being one of three that were most involved talking. It struck me what a strange feeling it was. It helps that my siblings engage in rather bizarre conversations that our new aunt and uncle kept noting what diverse and unusual conversations we had. They even mentioned how it was all unusual ideas and zero gossip. We talked about (and demonstrated) Tibetan throat singing, talked about the history of a family of languages that primarily use curved letters because they used to be written on leaves, we talked about Charlotte Perkins Gilman, insects, a unique philosophy of aesthetics, Norwegian Santa Nikki Nissa, and Mongolian Metal bands. :D

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Generally not talkative, and very shy. Partly because I don't want to involve myself in what's going on out of care for others but it's complex.

I become talkative when drunk, or around a topic I know a lot about such as typology.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on my mood and the topics being discussed. If I'm engaged by the conversation, I can be very talkative. If I'm not either feeling the topic or people involved in the discussion, you could mistake me for a mute.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I'm rather talkative, but I get silent when there are many people especially people I don't know well.

Update. Apparently most people don't find me talkative even when I think I am :shrug:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't chat much with people I don't know, especially without good reason. This includes cashiers, doctor's office staff, etc. With folks like that, I say what I need to say to accomplish my business with them, then leave. I find it irritating when they are chatty and want to prolong the interaction or pad it with smalltalk. And yes, I won't initiate conversation with strangers unless it is necessary, e.g. asking a store clerk where to find something. Even then, I am more likely just to keep walking around looking rather than approach a clerk.

Thanks to typology (hurrah) that led me to (hurrah!!) paying more attention (HURRAH!!!) to things I do in order to type myself, I notice that- well, I've always known it 'depends', but not where the lines are. I have no idea why I'm so easily exhausted from human interaction, especially ones where there is a lot of emotion involved (even positive ones). Honestly, throughout my life I've only met like 2 other people whose 'socializing' stamina is like mine. So say, if I'm tutoring my peers, I can go on for hours, but if I'm teaching kindergarteners, I feel like running myself through a meat grinder after an hour. 2 hours tops. I dish out criticism (constructive or not) fairly easily, but I have a tough time with platitudes "That was great work you did, I'm proud of you!" "You look great this evening." and when I'm really, really raggedy and worn, even the basics "Please!" "It's okay, please don't worry." "Thank you, that was helpful of you." and sometimes when I go through with the platitudes it sounds very clinical, like stuff you'd hear on a PA or customer service drivel. On the rare occasion I'm available for smalltalk, usually if it's in a situation I know I don't have to talk/interact more later.
The highlighted describes me, too. Now I do seem to have more patience with kids, at least in a teaching situation. Perhaps this is because I have volunteered with kids in STEM education for awhile. It is easy to keep their attention and get them to cooperate when you have cool things to show them and invite them to do. Still, I am worn out afterwards, however worthwhile and even enjoyable I might find it. I have learned to be better about the sort of positive feedback and appreciation you mention, though I avoid platitudes and empty, top-level sentiments. Yes, the criticism comes naturally.

Generally, when I'm explaining something (looks at my paragraphs on this forum) I can go on length and feel fine about it. I consider manners a necessary evil. I'd rather blab the way I do TC-style than do the following: not ignoring your host when visiting (and vice versa), not standing off in dark shadows during parties, saying hi and getting to know folks in new places, etc. I've also gained a clearer realization that preferences VS skill are entirely different and I can blab and drone pleasantries for hours but that doesn't change that it makes me feel like hanging myself and shutting out from humanity for the next 7 days after. Good at it, doesn't mean I like it, or that that's who I am. I'm going to DETONATE anyone who tries to type me E / Fe just because those are things I can do.
Well, I do try to greet a host, and then thank them upon leaving a gathering. In between, though, I will do my best to stay on the sidelines, and yes, exercising what skill I have with those pleasantries can leave me feeling like I need a scalding shower. Common courtesy and a basic level of respectfulness (which for me involves keeping a respectful distance) should be enough for anyone.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The highlighted describes me, too. Now I do seem to have more patience with kids, at least in a teaching situation. Perhaps this is because I have volunteered with kids in STEM education for awhile. It is easy to keep their attention and get them to cooperate when you have cool things to show them and invite them to do. Still, I am worn out afterwards, however worthwhile and even enjoyable I might find it. I have learned to be better about the sort of positive feedback and appreciation you mention, though I avoid platitudes and empty, top-level sentiments. Yes, the criticism comes naturally.

Even with my favourite kids it's just always wearing me down in the end. A weary kind of tired instead of a satisfying one, though.

I think there are people like me whose criticism really just comes out of a place of being direct, honest, and thorough- a combination of all three. It's not meant to tear anyone down or make them feel bad, it's just being very carefully discerning without the additional cherries on top. I think it's like a gradually acquired taste, or at least that has seemed to be the trend with me. Even those who initially considered it biting or cold eventually find a reliability to it, a 'warmly' comforting one even, that there's much in being able to rely on and know that what comes out is the solid truth that has nothing to do with whether or not you like them or are trying to suck up, or be nice, or be polite, or whatever it is.

Well, I do try to greet a host, and then thank them upon leaving a gathering. In between, though, I will do my best to stay on the sidelines, and yes, exercising what skill I have with those pleasantries can leave me feeling like I need a scalding shower. Common courtesy and a basic level of respectfulness (which for me involves keeping a respectful distance) should be enough for anyone.

This is still on the 'negative' end of the spectrum to some. The options for those folk are just 2; get used to it, or get lost.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Depends on the topic, people and circumstances. I can be the most quiet person around and can be the loudest.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Even with my favourite kids it's just always wearing me down in the end. A weary kind of tired instead of a satisfying one, though.

I think there are people like me whose criticism really just comes out of a place of being direct, honest, and thorough- a combination of all three. It's not meant to tear anyone down or make them feel bad, it's just being very carefully discerning without the additional cherries on top. I think it's like a gradually acquired taste, or at least that has seemed to be the trend with me. Even those who initially considered it biting or cold eventually find a reliability to it, a 'warmly' comforting one even, that there's much in being able to rely on and know that what comes out is the solid truth that has nothing to do with whether or not you like them or are trying to suck up, or be nice, or be polite, or whatever it is.
I have been told the highlighted a couple times, oddly by NFPs, people I would think would be most put off. I'm sure some have. But yes, when I criticise it does come from that direct and honest place, and a sincere interest in helping and improving, not tearing someone down or being mean-spirited. Of course that is no guarantee that it will be received in that spirit, or appreciated. I have therefore learned over the years to hold my tongue more often than not.