• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Crazy Mood Swings in Relationship/Ultimatums

rav3n

This guy is starting to ring mental health alarms. Does he elevate you (treats you like a goddess/angel) and then suddenly for petty reasons, devalue you on a regular basis (treats you like crap/demon)? If so, this would be called splitting or emotional dysregulation which is one of the symptoms of BPD and NPD. Extreme hypocrisy too. These two personality disorders are common in abusive relationships.

Starry

I don't find it confusing. Different people will do vastly different things in different situations, that are based on vastly different reasoning and lead to vastly different results (e.g. harm or relief). Decisions can be evaluated by their logic and their results, but that process isn't the same as whether they're emotionally understandable. Because in this system, unlike the logic it is distinct from, they all are - to leave is (as distinct from how it would end the harm), to stay is (as distinct from how it would not end the harm), and even to abuse is (as distinct from it being wrong as fuck). That's my personal concept of it - that the painful and the empowering ones are in terms of the same basic emotions we're all capable of, so one can't be comprehensible while another isn't. That the most painful things we do are still comprehensible is exactly the reason why they suck, and why life on earth sucks (although it is also so much more). The number of "why"s we could come up with by combining these emotions in different ways could go on for literal days, but this is about OP's own reason to stay or go.

IME, the most helpful thoughts when I am down about things I put up with for too long in the past are along the lines of:

"What you did made sense within your personal context, and in the context of humanity. But anything would, so why not relax about that and pick an approach for next time that on top of that brings you more happiness and relief, and perhaps puts a nice sharp boot heel into harmful crap like what they did. How about this one? Let's do it together (self alongside self, as this all is said while talking to oneself)."

A neat thing about that approach is how while it doesn't reference or explicitly try to sort out the logical and practical differences between one approach and another, somehow the desirable results and logical solidity just kind of congeal on their own as a byproduct.

Yah Alaska I don't know if you saw further down but I actually apologized for having stated what you quoted. As an ENFP myself that was my initial anger coming out like ENFP-on-ENFP "you spoiled rotten brat wtmf?" At that point I had not yet considered that this was a marriage and while I now hesitate to say this for the same reasons in reverse...based on what has been described I wouldn't leave a marriage with these same circumstances...not if I took the "good times and bad in sickness and in health" vow...no. But I would be doing everything in my power not to enable the sickness either. I'm having a difficult time understanding what all the OP has attempted...but it seems like outside professional help is the order of the day.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yah Alaska I don't know if you saw further down but I actually apologized for having stated what you quoted. As an ENFP myself that was my initial anger coming out like ENFP-on-ENFP "you spoiled rotten brat wtmf?" At that point I had not yet considered that this was a marriage and while I now hesitate to say this for the same reasons in reverse...based on what has been described I wouldn't leave a marriage with these same circumstances...not if I took the "good times and bad in sickness and in health" vow...no. But I would be doing everything in my power not to enable the sickness either. I'm having a difficult time understanding what all the OP has attempted...but it seems like outside professional help is the order of the day.
Ah, I didn't understand this the first read-through, but now I do. Thanks, and edited my post acknowledging that!

hpdean

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w3
Honestly, I don't think this is an ENFP related thing, he sounds mentally ill & abusive.