User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Default Uh oh ... depression!

Oh, yes, I'm sure this a topic NFs dread hearing about. You're probably groaning or rolling your eyes right now. But I need help!

NFs: What makes you sad? What makes you feel absolutely miserable? What could - or has - plunged you into depression?

I'm 19. I've had depression for several years, but I was only diagnosed two days ago because I finally sought help. I think I'm an ENFP and every test I take tells me so, but this illness has had such a warping effect on my personality and self-perception that I can only tell from comparing the type descriptions to how I act when I'm happy/when I'm being a clown to hide the problem. It's kind of hard to believe you're a bright, spontaneous fountain of humor and joy when you feel dead on the inside, y'know? I might be an INFP. Dunno! There's a lot of information about INFPs and depression, but none about ENFPs!

What could drive each type to despair, especially ENFPs?

MBTI
    INFP

A lack of regular meaningful accomplishment can send me into a downward spiral.

MBTI
    ENXP

I agree that a lack of accomplishments can lead to feeling down, even depression. And feeling depressed hides the ENFPs better qualities. I find on top a lack of professional accomplishments that a lack of social contact (having few friends) and trying to improve your life but still being in the same place brings me down. I do all the same things that work for other people but that doesn't give me the same success that they have. Without knowing what is bring you down I cannot say whether or not professional help will help; for my problems I would doubt it would. "Happy pills" are no the solution to having a life that lacks success and social contact. I have heard a lack of ideas/options (being stuck in a rut) and continuous rejection can lead an ENFP to depression. I am still trying to find a way out of that situation, so I cannot help with any ideas...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

If you're torn between I/Enfp, I'd say you're 100% ENFP from your tone in this one post (we tend to be less social than most extroverts, so our "E" score tends to be lower). ENFPs also tend to be bipolar (not literally). You could describe it as shifting between Ne dominant hyper dude(ette) and Fi dominant existential angsty dude(tte)

The stuff that depresses me are: Boredom. Excess stress (there's a threshold beyond which I break down and become a vegetable). and....boredom. Really, if I don't have an outlet for my energy, I get depressed.

Oh yes, and welcome to MBTIc takeheart!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

We found some common patterns in what depresses ENFPs...
    • Having to face a big problem./tragedy alone
    • When some crisis forces them to focus on details and they lose track of what's important (might be finances in job loss for example)
    • When in spite of everything they try a relationship they value tanks
    • When a crisis throws them into a frenzy of activity and they completely overdo it, unaware of the Si lens of impact on their physical self
    • When they feel all out of options

Many ENFPs find they need to develop a meditative/yoga/retreat practice to recover. If they really feel out of options, they really need help from outside--not necessarily professional help but at least deep conversations with trusted friends or colleagues to get the thinking unstuck. Then self-care--healthy eating, walking or other exercise, massage, etc--are key to returning to balance.
    edcoaching

MBTI
    ENFP

I'm an ENFP with depression also. It doesn't "take anything" to "trigger" depression, I just wake up and go to bed unsatisfied. Like you, I have felt this way for many years. (Didn't you say that?) If your problem is severe, an antidepressant is an answer. If this is what your doctor recommends, you may find yourself fitting the ENFP description better..

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    I'm an ENFP with depression also. It doesn't "take anything" to "trigger" depression, I just wake up and go to bed unsatisfied. Like you, I have felt this way for many years. (Didn't you say that?) If your problem is severe, an antidepressant is an answer. If this is what your doctor recommends, you may find yourself fitting the ENFP description better..
    Your perspective here is really key--ongoing dissatisfaction is great reason to seek professional help and antidepressants can help. But if ENFPs aren't constantly deluged in this way then there seem to be patterns to the triggers as well as patterns to the self-care one could try before--or with--medication.
    edcoaching

Sniffles

takeheart, I'm not an ENFP, but on so many levels I can relate to your situation. I constantly have to battle recurrent bouts of depression, and almost anything can trigger them. Certainly one trigger that has been bothering me lately is the frustration and exhaustion I receive from my line of work. Of course there's other factors as well, too many to list off hand.

I will agree with edcoaching that talking deeply about the issue with a trusted colleague helps big time. I've had plenty of experiences with ENFPs to know this, but it could easily apply to NF's in general. I know INFJs often need to vent about their problems in order to help get them of their chests.

All in all, be strong. Already there's quite a few people who have taken interest in your situation, and are willing to help. You can count me among them.

Being the Catholic that I am: I'll even be willing to say a prayer to Our Lady of Sorrows on your behalf, if you wish.

MBTI
    IN??
    Enneagram
    IDK

Depression. Why do I suddenly feel at home?

Everything seems to be futile when depression is at it's worse, you know? It's as if the universe is in a constant degenerative downward spiral, where everything seems to be a vain struggle with decompostion/decay/destruction.

Personally, depression comes when there is too much stress in relationships, a tragic event (which may not be so tragic in reality), feeling completely misunderstood, having frustrated plans, and definitely when anxiety limits my ability to carry out my life goals/plans leaving me with a tremendous sense of meaningless/pointlessness.

I've been strugling with anxious depression for years. It's hard to know if the depression triggered the anxiety or vice versa.

God, this is a depressing post.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I will agree with edcoaching that talking deeply about the issue with a trusted colleague helps big time. I've had plenty of experiences with ENFPs to know this, but it could easily apply to NF's in general. I know INFJs often need to vent about their problems in order to help get them of their chests.
    Yeah...INFJs are more likely to go to a stack of books or the Web to figure out a solution than to God forbid ask for help, and we don't quite always have the resources to solve it ourselves.

Work can easily overwhelm because we a)think everyone is on the same side and are jolted when that turns out not to be true and b) really think we can do something significant if we just keep at it...
    edcoaching