• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Why do NFs care?/apathy

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I suspect this has been done before, but I don't feel like finding the thread. If someone wants to merge feel free.

Especially over things they have no control over. And know that them caring just causes grief, and wishes they didn't. But no matter what can't stop caring.

So why is this? any NFs not feel this way? any other words can NFs ever truly be apathetic? or when we say we are, we're just deluding ourselves? to soften the blow?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
To tell you the truth I think that all people can be apathetic.

It is just the matter how often it happens.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hm. The only time I can think of where I don't care is when it comes to people I feel I have an upper hand with. If they want to hang out, fine. If they want to cancel on me, fine. I really could not care less because they have willingly made the emotional investment without me having to lift a finger. They didn't give me time to care and this sounds bad, but they are sort of dispensable to me, so to speak.

Other than that, I pretty much care all the time. I do try to trick myself into being apathetic, but I know it's a lie.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think it's hilarious that if I'm in the kitchen and someone comes in, (even an INTP!) I feel obligated to make sure that they are comfortable. I may not move or say a word, but I'm READY for anything. Their presence weighs on my consciousness; I can't shake it off!

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I hate apathy/those who are apathetic. I mean, I can understand fleeting feelings of apathy, but to truly just NOT CARE about anything is a waste of life in my opinion.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
here's the thing
we have four corners of the psyche
SJ-NF-NT-SP
whatever your type is is your point of origin
the mission to a complete psyche is that of engaging all quadrants.
and eventually coming back to yourself

objectivity is a maturity issue, anyhow
apathy is a lack of compassion-perhaps a disorder-see psychopath
and don't even say Ts or NTs-they care like a mutha*****
everyone is all types and all four quadrants-but in different proportions

you may sit down now
Sermon over

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Individuals seem to mistake my ambivalence for apathy.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
To tell you the truth I think that all people can be apathetic.

It is just the matter how often it happens.
True. Frequency-wise, our environment can immensely impact us on a deeper level. When people become so desensitized, they stop caring, which is a scary thought. A lot of it has to do with social conditioning- censorship we see in the media, hear on the radio, daily interactions with others. Much of it has to do with pop-culture (least where I'm from).

On social issues, sometimes, I wish I could stop caring, because it only causes frustration. But the angst is worth it, because in a way, it motivates me to do want to do something- to get out there/make something of myself so I can personally make a difference. Not caring makes me feel less 'me.'

With people, I can't stop caring for some. They leave imprints in my life that it's hard to not care. Although I always don't go out of my way to show I care, I do so in spirit. I can be very apathetic towards others (which makes me feel a bit crummy b/c it feels like a personal contradiction, but rightfully so), especially for those who demonstrate extreme narcissistic behaviors. I also tend to have apathy for extreme plain-jane cookie-cutterish personalities, in other words, inauthentic people. I tend to care more for those who are kind/or vulnerable, those who are a bit more honest with themselves/with others.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I suspect this has been done before, but I don't feel like finding the thread. If someone wants to merge feel free.

Especially over things they have no control over. And know that them caring just causes grief, and wishes they didn't. But no matter what can't stop caring.

So why is this? any NFs not feel this way? any other words can NFs ever truly be apathetic? or when we say we are, we're just deluding ourselves? to soften the blow?

Well... I don't know. It's like... meh. Whatever.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't know, but apathy would certainly make life easier. I wouldn't worry about why people don't feel about me how I feel about them. I wouldn't wait in vain to hear from people I'm dying to talk to, both because I wouldn't care whether or not they contacted me, but I wouldn't care about the possibility of feeling rejected when trying to contact them.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Being empathetic can really suck ass sometimes.

Sometimes I wish I could be a bit more apathetic.

:)

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm really apathetic atm. I try to care out of habit, but the best I can do is be bothered a bit by how little I care. Which is caring, in a fucked-up way.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are times I have some apathy after I've burnt myself out on anxiety and simply have no energy left.

Constantly viewing the world through many angles, having a natural tendency to imagine oneself in other people's shoes can have a cumulative effect.