• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] You know you're an INFJ when...

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Verily.

I keep my memories in lots of little boxes, connected by string (to represent what affects what). A lot are locked (or at least hidden), and most are forgotten until I need them (random, forgotten, memories do sometimes pop up. I have this nagging doubt that maybe I've repressed certain memories from my past.) When I'm trying to understand behavior I feel like a librarian picking up and reading specific books. Except with boxes and string instead of books and the dewey system.

Hmm, I honestly can't recall much from that far back (or from any time in my past, really). It feels as if I understood it rather quickly, and at the same time I feel as if it took forever.

Something I've noticed from this post, I use brackets a lot to help organize tangents/extraneous ideas. And /'s help me paint a more complete picture, where one word won't do. Perhaps that's an INFJ thing (using brackets and slashes)?

Well nowadays its when to use Sine Cosine, Tangent, and logarithms. I need to know the inner workings of the idea and when and how to use them before they make sense. Otherwise I am not sure at ALL if I'm doing it right.

When organizing something complicated I kind of follow the flowchart in my mind, connecting different ideas together. The problem is that these flowcharts cant really be 'drawn' because there is no real shape, only the feeling of 'thereness.'

trimonke

MBTI Type
INFJ
When organizing something complicated I kind of follow the flowchart in my mind, connecting different ideas together. The problem is that these flowcharts cant really be 'drawn' because there is no real shape, only the feeling of 'thereness.'
That makes sense. I can't really define my boxes. I simply know they're there, and they're connected. I just follow the strings.

INFJ's like to play with causality, in the same way small children like to play with building blocks.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
That makes sense. I can't really define my boxes. I simply know they're there, and they're connected. I just follow the strings.

INFJ's have a fairly intimate relationship with causality.

My weird humor of words comes through that. Someone says something and something pops into my mind that I think is witty. I say it and then realize it was totally backwards outside of my head. My mouth isn't effective enough to extravert my mental concepts.

trimonke

MBTI Type
INFJ
^
Thinking > writing > speaking
And I like it just the way it is. If speaking was easier than writing, I'd HAVE to talk to someone anytime I wanted to explore a topic. I tend to rehash the same thing over and over again if all I do is think. Writing simply unlocks my stream of consciousness.

Of course, there's nothing quite like staring at the wall for an hour thinking of something. Pity I can't remember most of it.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
^
And I like it just the way it is. If speaking was easier than writing, I'd HAVE to talk to someone anytime I wanted to explore a topic. I tend to rehash the same thing over and over again if all I do is think. Writing simply unlocks my stream of consciousness.

Of course, there's nothing quite like staring at the wall for an hour thinking of something. Pity I can't remember most of it.

Word.

Writing is an activity that can pass the ego (the part of my brain that likes to run in circles) and get flashes of ideas and use them quickly, at least as sidenotes.

I talk much better to myself than to others for some reason. :D

trimonke

MBTI Type
INFJ
^
Yes, talking to myself helps too.

However, mispronounced words tend to 'taste' wrong. This is a fairly new oddity for me, and I'm not sure why it happens. It sounds a bit like synesthesia, but I'm certain it's something else. Maybe it's got something to do with my/our affinity for words? (It's probably something much simpler, and only affects me. But it's still very cool.)

I'm certain I'm going to end up a crazy old man.

You're probably an INFJ if you think your eccentricities are cool, and wouldn't give them up for anything.

You see disintegration as a breakdown of mental cohesion, not as a reduction to dust. Or is it just me?

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Word.
I talk much better to myself than to others for some reason. :D

Me too. I only wish what goes on in my head would come out of my mouth the same way. How can everything be so controlled and concise inside my head then suddenly scramble itself going out the door?

trimonke

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yay, I'm done with all 200 pages.

You know you're an INFJ if:

You spend hours, days, even weeks deciding between two options. You analyze each and every argument that comes into your head, read everything you feel is relevant on the subject and choose one. 5 minutes later, you can't remember why you chose what you did but you'll stick to it no matter what. Unless some new, unprocessed tidbit of information comes along. Then you've gotta start all over again. (On a side note, you don't remember your arguments, but can instantly identify an idea as new)

ilovelurking

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yay, I'm done with all 200 pages.

You know you're an INFJ if:

You spend hours, days, even weeks deciding between two options. You analyze each and every argument that comes into your head, read everything you feel is relevant on the subject and choose one. 5 minutes later, you can't remember why you chose what you did but you'll stick to it no matter what. Unless some new, unprocessed tidbit of information comes along. Then you've gotta start all over again. (On a side note, you don't remember your arguments, but can instantly identify an idea as new)

You've realized that the wanting something is far more satisfying than actually getting it. In fact, you've had a vague understanding of this since you quite young.

Wow! I read the entire threads too! :D

You know you're INFJ when you get on everyone's nerves when they try to 'influence' you into doing something and you don't seem to budge.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I'm certain I'm going to end up a crazy old man.

You're probably an INFJ if you think your eccentricities are cool, and wouldn't give them up for anything.

I've thought of myself as the 'crazy awesome grampa that hasnt grown old yet' :D

You know you're INFJ when you get on everyone's nerves when they try to 'influence' you into doing something and you don't seem to budge.

Even if it's a good thing: "Yes I know it will be good for me in the end, but it is still change. Let me take my own time." if it's bad for me it's more of a: "Quit trying, you have not seen my complete stubbornness yet. Woe to those who have."

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ

Amen to that!

I know a couple who have tried to bribe me to come along and do things their way by offering me upgraded plane tickets, telling me I can sleep in their RV on campouts, etc. If I don't want to go, none of this stuff matters to me. It bugs them that they can influence others so easily but not me.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^

i find it the reverse. speaking > writing > thinking.

especially if i am speaking with someone with Ne (the more the better), the context is easier and they help aim me in the right direction and kind of ground what i say into something tangible (the conversation) while interpreting and opening up new possibilities for me in the moment. writing is second easiest bc your last thought is still in front of you so you don't have to waste any mental energy remember it, your fishing lure just gets bigger and bigger for that big catch of an idea. thinking is the most difficult bc the tools used to structure thought are not explicitly working, for me thinking is almost pure perception (just feeling the collisions of different energies, different networks lighting up, feeling the waves crashing together and activating in new and complexly interwoven ways). but the thinking part, the judgment often helps when i use an actual method. my unconscious Ti still works pretty well, tho, when i am on top of my game.

my first form of mental organization is with my mouth. when i write it sounds like i'm talking. both in reading and writing i actually mouth the words when my eyes get bogged down. i think it is easy to switch back and forth, but the tone of my "voice" is always very spoken, very talky.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
i find it the reverse. speaking > writing > thinking.

especially if i am speaking with someone with Ne (the more the better), the context is easier and they help aim me in the right direction and kind of ground what i say into something tangible (the conversation) while interpreting and opening up new possibilities for me in the moment. writing is second easiest bc your last thought is still in front of you so you don't have to waste any mental energy remember it, your fishing lure just gets bigger and bigger for that big catch of an idea. thinking is the most difficult bc the tools used to structure thought are not explicitly working, for me thinking is almost pure perception (just feeling the collisions of different energies, different networks lighting up, feeling the waves crashing together and activating in new and complexly interwoven ways). but the thinking part, the judgment often helps when i use an actual method. my unconscious Ti still works pretty well, tho, when i am on top of my game.

my first form of mental organization is with my mouth. when i write it sounds like i'm talking. both in reading and writing i actually mouth the words when my eyes get bogged down. i think it is easy to switch back and forth, but the tone of my "voice" is always very spoken, very talky.

Mental organization, yes, I relate very well, but when it comes to communicating thoughts besides just letting them come and go, writing is the best way to get them down. My mind likes to run in circles and when I try to say something important to someone it comes out in a garbled mess.

Definitely related to the Ne thing. my mind seems to be much more solid when I talk with my INTP friend. We're a pretty mean tagteam when it comes to building RPG worlds or just weird situations.

You know youre an INFJ when you have problems with interrupting people during conversations. I explain it that my mind works that if I dont use the thought NOW I'll lose it. Holding onto it is like holding onto a flailing toddler.

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Mental

You know youre an INFJ when you have problems with interrupting people during conversations. I explain it that my mind works that if I dont use the thought NOW I'll lose it. Holding onto it is like holding onto a flailing toddler.

I SO relate to this. I must interrupt when the thought comes to me, otherwise I will either be so focused on what I want to say that I can't pay attention to the other person in the conversation, or I will completely forget about what I wanted to say in order to listen to the person. I have an ENFP friend who just won't let me interrupt her, and by the time she finally asks me about what I wanted to say, I have forgotten it. The result is that our conversations are more like her monologueing and me listening...she's really not one of my better friends because of this.

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
... When the only place it feels perfectly normal to talk about these things is on a typology forum on a thread discussing them with other INFJs

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mental organization, yes, I relate very well, but when it comes to communicating thoughts besides just letting them come and go, writing is the best way to get them down. My mind likes to run in circles and when I try to say something important to someone it comes out in a garbled mess.

Definitely related to the Ne thing. my mind seems to be much more solid when I talk with my INTP friend. We're a pretty mean tagteam when it comes to building RPG worlds or just weird situations.

ok speech is ONLY true with Ne types. that is a necessary correction. or possibly other Ni doms. altho then we are ok not talking about anything but thinking all the while that we are actually made up of real matter/material/words. it doesn't have to be focused, whereas Ne brings it out into the world and locates something specific for us to jump off of.

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ

I interrupt. I try to hang in there to see if they're finished but it's difficult to tell when they are sometimes. Also, it doesn't take me long to figure out what they're going to say and it seems unnecessary for them to finish. People who talk slow and pause for long periods make it real difficult to judge if they're done.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
ok speech is ONLY true with Ne types. that is a necessary correction. or possibly other Ni doms. altho then we are ok not talking about anything but thinking all the while that we are actually made up of real matter/material/words. it doesn't have to be focused, whereas Ne brings it out into the world and locates something specific for us to jump off of.

True, but even then I tend to say things that I feel stupid for later. Maybe keeping up with an Ne user mentally is something I should stop attempting :D

Evi

MBTI Type
INFJ
Every time I catch up with this thread it makes me smile, seeing similarities in others oddities that people in my life just don't get.
I don't name spiders, I hate them with a passion. Although there is one outside of my door that I glare at every time I come home. I also talk to it, inform it that it's lucky to be alive and it better dang not come inside even if it is cold. I've decided not to kill it because I have the suspicion that his spider friends will retaliate by infiltrating my house.

I already know I'm nuts.

B

ByMySword

You know you're an INFJ when you're so deep in thought that you're expressionless.

People may tell you that you're the only person they can't read.