• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] You know you're an INFJ when...

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
The INFJ moral compass is so sensitive that one (ONE) mistranslated comment can effectively halt future dealings with that person, even to ask forgiveness.

Agreed. However, I (we) have to be more flexible than that so as not to become complete hermits due to our regular disappointment in people.

Murdering even ONE person in cold blood would render an INFJ unable to live with himself, driving him to every form of self-indulgence he can think of to drown the guilt, and eventually to suicide when everything he tries proves fruitless.

I disagree. I don't know about other INFJs, but I always validate my actions. If I have validated something, there will be no guilt afterwards. If I haven't validated it, I just won't do it. No regret or guilt. Maybe I'm just a badass INFJ :cheese:

No INFJ would make himself a bit-rate assassin-for-hire, not even one made of ink.

INFJs have very strong morals, but their morals are not universal. I think twisted INFJs would make the most evil of villains.

P

Phantonym

I disagree. I don't know about other INFJs, but I always validate my actions. If I have validated something, there will be no guilt afterwards. If I haven't validated it, I just won't do it. No regret or guilt. Maybe I'm just a badass INFJ :cheese:

Agreed. I'm like that as well. If I have approved of something for myself, I'm following it through with no regrets.

INFJs have very strong morals, but their morals are not universal. I think twisted INFJs would make the most evil of villains.

That's what I was thinking too. People are capable of anything as long as they have a strong motive that keeps them going. Twisted people have twisted motives :D

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have all the usual morals that most people have and I detest violence. The only time I could see myself killing someone is in self defense or in the defense of my children. I would most likely experience some angst before pulling the trigger if I felt that my life was in jeopardy but in the case of my children it would be swift and determined.

I don't know if it's because I'm INFJ or what but I am very good at imagining the feelings from the perspective of perpetrators who commit terrible crimes. For instance, I can imagine how intensely obsessed and out of control OJ Simpson felt before he killed Nicole, how it ate him up so much that he felt driven to 'make her pay' and get the final one-uppance. And of course, he would assign the blame to her for his feeling of inadequacy.
Having said that, I despise these sicko's, they need to be in prison or dead.

It's the sociopaths, with no regard for anyone but themselves that I can't figure out. Even if they never commit a crime, how enjoyable could their lives really be without love for others? If INFJ's feel 'different' imagine how it would be to see people enjoying relationships with others and to know that the best you can do is fake it.

MFJAGgernaut-B

MBTI Type
INFP
Agreed. However, I (we) have to be more flexible than that so as not to become complete hermits due to our regular disappointment in people.

The INFJ mindset is one of "I don't screw up." Any mistakes we make are minor; we can repair the damage and everything's good again. But if we're faced with a mistake that we can't recover from, we're as good as screwed. So instead of recovering from a big mistake, we do everything we can to forget it. If we don't think about it, we've done no wrong. If we can't forget it, we're screwed.

I'll use the example of Simon Baker's character Patrick Jane from The Mentalist. Jane is a clearcut INFJ. He always seems to know what he's doing, although it's hard for anyone to read his motives. Everyone thinks he's "weird," yet he readily connects with people as he needs to. He often uses unconventional methods that baffle even his closest associates, yet somehow he manages to get the right results. He gets feelings about people and things that turn out to be spot-on, despite the theories taken by his Ti cohorts.

In The Mentalist's backstory, Jane's wife and daughter were murdered in cold blood in their own home. Jane perceives his mistake as not being there to protect them. Driven by his sense of justice toward their killer, he uses his insights to help the FBI in murder investigations. As long as the subject of his family doesn't come up, he's cheery and insightful. But watch what happens when the topic enters his thoughts; his demeanor changes. When his FBI comrades mention his family, he becomes sullen and serious. When he's with brokenhearted friends and loved ones of the victims, you can tell he's fighting the urge to cry. One episode even ends with him actually bursting into tears.

(On a side-note, Simon Baker is also a kickass actor.)

(On another side-note: You know you're INFJ when you're watching this show, and you know exactly what Patrick Jane is going to do next. Because it's exactly what you would do.)

An INFJ would never harm another human being unless he felt he had good reason to.

You didn't disagree with me. You argued my own point back to me.

You really are a bad "ass" INFJ. :cheese:

INFJs may not have identical morals, but even twisted ones do have the same moral fabric. They also have the same natural aversion to--and inability to cope with--stupid and fruitless mistakes, especially ones with devastating lifelong consequences for all involved.

Case and point: Adolf Hitler.

Before serving in World War I, Hitler was a pretty upright INFJ. Quiet, expressive, complex, had a talent for art (some of his cartoons are in the German archives). While in the service, he suffered a head injury. Witnesses reported him being suddenly becoming irritable and behaving strangely during and after recovery. Textbook evidence of brain trauma.

Recently scientists discovered that brains cells DO, in fact, reproduce, allowing damaged regions of the brain to repair themselves over time. My theory is that Hitler's brain recovered enough to give him his sense of morality back midway through WWII...after executing countless innocents and establishing himself as the most evil man in human history.

Allied forces found him in a bunker with two dead whores and a bullet in his brain. He saw the damage he caused, knew he couldn't fix what he did, tried to drown it in self-indulgence, realized he couldn't forget, and finally tried to escape by killing himself.

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ
The INFJ mindset is one of "I don't screw up." Any mistakes we make are minor; we can repair the damage and everything's good again. But if we're faced with a mistake that we can't recover from, we're as good as screwed. So instead of recovering from a big mistake, we do everything we can to forget it. If we don't think about it, we've done no wrong. If we can't forget it, we're screwed.

I'll use the example of Simon Baker's character Patrick Jane from The Mentalist. Jane is a clearcut INFJ. He always seems to know what he's doing, although it's hard for anyone to read his motives. Everyone thinks he's "weird," yet he readily connects with people as he needs to. He often uses unconventional methods that baffle even his closest associates, yet somehow he manages to get the right results. He gets feelings about people and things that turn out to be spot-on, despite the theories taken by his Ti cohorts.

In The Mentalist's backstory, Jane's wife and daughter were murdered in cold blood in their own home. Jane perceives his mistake as not being there to protect them. Driven by his sense of justice toward their killer, he uses his insights to help the FBI in murder investigations. As long as the subject of his family doesn't come up, he's cheery and insightful. But watch what happens when the topic enters his thoughts; his demeanor changes. When his FBI comrades mention his family, he becomes sullen and serious. When he's with brokenhearted friends and loved ones of the victims, you can tell he's fighting the urge to cry. One episode even ends with him actually bursting into tears.

(On a side-note, Simon Baker is also a kickass actor.)

(On another side-note: You know you're INFJ when you're watching this show, and you know exactly what Patrick Jane is going to do next. Because it's exactly what you would do.)

You didn't disagree with me. You argued my own point back to me.

You really are a bad "ass" INFJ. :cheese:

INFJs may not have identical morals, but even twisted ones do have the same moral fabric. They also have the same natural aversion to--and inability to cope with--stupid and fruitless mistakes, especially ones with devastating lifelong consequences for all involved.

Case and point: Adolf Hitler.

Before serving in World War I, Hitler was a pretty upright INFJ. Quiet, expressive, complex, had a talent for art (some of his cartoons are in the German archives). While in the service, he suffered a head injury. Witnesses reported him being suddenly becoming irritable and behaving strangely during and after recovery. Textbook evidence of brain trauma.

Recently scientists discovered that brains cells DO, in fact, reproduce, allowing damaged regions of the brain to repair themselves over time. My theory is that Hitler's brain recovered enough to give him his sense of morality back midway through WWII...after executing countless innocents and establishing himself as the most evil man in human history.

Allied forces found him in a bunker with two dead whores and a bullet in his brain. He saw the damage he caused, knew he couldn't fix what he did, tried to drown it in self-indulgence, realized he couldn't forget, and finally tried to escape by killing himself.

He was dodging the public humiliation and recrimination for his deeds, he was a self indulgent syphilitic sicko without his yes-men and he knew what was in store for him. He most likely thought a bullet to the brain would be 'dying with his boots on'. He probably fantasized that he would become a martyr for the cause. I just can't figure out how he pulled the holocaust off in the first place, his true genius was his ability to convince and bully others into supporting his crazy theories. I don't believe he was INFJ.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Everyone knows Hitler was an ENFJ. :D

I think the more twisted INFJs would be seen in Tolkien's book 'The Children of Hurin.' But this was more from the curse Morgoth put on Hurin's family. Turin was a more brash fellow that would end up doing things in a fit of anger. He always believed his cause to be righteous and seemed to be blind to others' opinions.

He seems closer to an INFJ than Hitler.

MFJAGgernaut-B

MBTI Type
INFP
He was dodging the public humiliation and recrimination for his deeds, he was a self indulgent syphilitic sicko without his yes-men and he knew what was in store for him. He most likely thought a bullet to the brain would be 'dying with his boots on'. He probably fantasized that he would become a martyr for the cause. I just can't figure out how he pulled the holocaust off in the first place, his true genius was his ability to convince and bully others into supporting his crazy theories. I don't believe he was INFJ.

Really? And you were there in the bunker with him when you bothered to ask?

I strongly oppose assumptions based on common perception, because common perception is often based on skewed media representation. Hollywood and CNN are run by business; they do not give a damn about the true story if a lie turns a greater profit. Hitler is accepted as evil because that's the only way anyone ever sees him. Therefore, I reject this as a base for any opinion, and substitute my own personal theories based on research and documents made available through public archives.

I have seen documented descriptions of him from friends and family before and after military service. Both times, his behavior falls right in line with typical INFJ behavior, from his meek demeanor and artistic talents pre-WWI to his intensity and irrational hatred post-WWI to his brilliant tactical maneuvering throughout WWII. The only difference is the faulty morality complex, possibly caused by textbook head trauma suffered during his time serving in the German army.

INFJs prefer efficiency over procedure. In the latter end of WWII, Hitler's empire was in ruins, and his surviving victims were calling for his execution. When the Allied troops got to him, he'd have to sit through tribunals waiting for governments to make up their minds on whether to hang him or fry him in an electric chair, then which country to give the honors to. Killing himself with a revolver took only a few seconds, and all he had to do was pull the trigger. He was dead either way, so...BANG! War's over.

As for killing Jews, if Hitler was an INFJ with broken morals, it wouldn't be hard to see why he'd put Jews at the top of his execution list. Jewish people are known for characteristics that would rub a typical INFJ in all the wrong directions. For example, INFJs harbor deep hatred for closed-minded individuals, and Jews are notorious for their refusal to accept any ideas contrary to their religious convictions. Strip away the INFJ's altruism, and he'll certainly have no qualms about killing a Jew, let alone seven million.

B

ByMySword

I think both Hitler and Darth Vader have the potential to be twisted INFJs.

As for Hitler, I've read Mein Kampf, and I must say that his thought process reflects an INFJ's throughout the piece.

alexx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
When they say one thing then do the COMPLETE opposite.

S

Sniffles

Concerning Hitler, this maybe of interest:
The feminine side of his character, labeled 'bohemian', 'intuitive' and 'artistic', was obvious to those who knew him. Otto Dietrich put it this way: 'By nature Hitler was a bohemian. He allowed himself to be guided almost exclusively by emotional considerations...He often said that a single brilliant idea was more valuable than a whole lifetime of conscientious office work.'

Even the uncritical Below had to admit being befuddled by his Führer's manifest contradictions. In his opinion, Hitler was victim of two conflicting drives. On the one hand he was an artist, with the artist's love of freedom and his reliance on intuition and inspiration. On the other hand he believed, like Rienzi, that he had no choice but to sacrifice himself to save his fatherland. The aesthetic impulse, Below maintained, could never be reconciled with the demands of state. Fritz Wiedemann put it less poetically. Hitler, he said, liked to believe that 'problems resolve themselves', and he therefore simp;y let troublesome matters slide. In any case with the passage of time these various characteristics became more pronounced. 'The surer Hitler felt in the possession of power,' according to Fest, 'the more conspicuously his old bohemian traits came to the fore, his laspes into torpor, his moodiness.' The point was repeatedly confirmed in Goebbel's diaries. Far from being the invariably firm, decisive dictator that he appeared publicly to be, Hitler could often be a dilatory and wavering leader.
--Frederic Spotts, Hitler and the Power of Aesthetics pg.92-93

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Really? And you were there in the bunker with him when you bothered to ask?

In the latter end of WWII, Hitler's empire was in ruins, and his surviving victims were calling for his execution. When the Allied troops got to him, he'd have to sit through tribunals waiting for governments to make up their minds on whether to hang him or fry him in an electric chair, then which country to give the honors to. Killing himself with a revolver took only a few seconds, and all he had to do was pull the trigger. He was dead either way, so...BANG! War's over.

No, I wasn't there, were you? Your opinion of Hitler's last day isn't much different than mine. All of this is conjecture.

"He was dodging the public humiliation and recrimination for his deeds, he was a self indulgent syphilitic sicko without his yes-men and he knew what was in store for him. He most likely thought a bullet to the brain would be 'dying with his boots on'. He probably fantasized that he would become a martyr for the cause. I don't believe he was INFJ."

MFJAGgernaut-B

MBTI Type
INFP
Okay, off the subject of Hitler and back to my original point...

Murder is a high-risk, low-reward undertaking, making it run counter to an INFJ's risk-aversive nature. An INFJ under normal circumstances will be more prone to internalize his anger and pretend the offense never took place rather than seek revenge and have it bite him in the ass later.

That said, if you watch The Mentalist and somehow guess what the title character will do next, you might be INFJ.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here’s one…

You know you’re an INFJ when you’ve had jobs which demand an unusually high level of expertise with language and writing, among other things, and which many/most people would consider extremely difficult and challenging…but when you look at a busy waiter or waitress, their job looks more difficult than anything you have ever done! The constant rushing too and fro, remembering people’s orders (with or without writing them down), keeping track of your tables…aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!! I have so much admiration for a skilled table server! :yes:

MFJAGgernaut-B

MBTI Type
INFP
You know you're an INFJ if one of the questions you ask when negotiating installation of a security system in your house is "Now, does it come with infrared sensors and semi-automatic defense turrets, or does it just make a bunch of noise and call your home office?"

If you're talented at asking the above question as a joke; it's a serious question, but the technician you're asking will never know.